IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

That whole thing looks retarded. From the angled glass, to the mini-size, to funky control layout. And playing centipede on a tempest remake cabinet? Sacrilege 2 B shur.,

But then again these are going to audiences that may never have played the real games back in the day.

But then again and again. Who gives a rats ass. It is what it is!

I disagree with these going to audiences that may never have played them - this specific cab is a re-release of their first wave Atari 12 in 1 cab, specifically targeted to those that didn't get it back in 2018 when it came out.  1Up knew exactly who they were targeting this to and just didn't care that 1) they messed up the control panel ("messed" is not the word I wanted to use) and 2) when customers called them out on it 1Up led some to believe it was just a mock up and would be corrected in the final product. 

Edited by 128Kgames

I'll be getting it at some point. Will fix the button layout somehow.

I'm part of their official Q and A team now, so can't say too much more about the process.

I do report all the current issues [hardware and software], and potential future software issues to them.

Whether they want to fix them, which is mostly software ones, is up to them.

The design is what it is.

later

Edited by negative1

7 hours ago, Vrock said:

Other than the layout forcing you to play Missile Command with your left hand on the trackball....eh. 

Perhaps DIYRetroarcade will release a fixed panel for it.

Guess you weren't paying attention:

1jqbicnhhry61.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

I doubt there are any expert players that it will make a difference. I can get to about 100k.

But I know that you will only need to worry about the delta base missiles after level 8 to pick off the smart bombs.

Most players aren't good enough, and won't care.

later

2 hours ago, negative1 said:

Guess you weren't paying attention:

1jqbicnhhry61.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

I doubt there are any expert players that it will make a difference. I can get to about 100k.

But I know that you will only need to worry about the delta base missiles after level 8 to pick off the smart bombs.

Most players aren't good enough, and won't care.

later

... and most players will probably not be motivated to care if faced with the choice between controls that are inverted or controls that make you contort your hand and get tendonitis or some shit.  

• Haha 1

To be honest, I played most of these games in the arcade BITD and yet I can't spot the differences.  It's been 40 years!  And if I can't spot the differences, I doubt most other buyers will either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ls650 said:

To be honest, I played most of these games in the arcade BITD and yet I can't spot the differences.  It's been 40 years!  And if I can't spot the differences, I doubt most other buyers will either.

Hmm, maybe new glasses?  ?  If there was a joystick instead of a trackball would you notice?  Just saying.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ls650 said:

After 40 years?  No.

Damn, and I thought I was aging poorly.  Well, at 53, as someone who grew up with the entire industry back from the days of Pong to the present, I most definitely would and have noticed. 

One should never assume what others would or wouldn't notice or care about, especially a corporation.  That's just bad business, and my point exactly about 1Ups utter lack of caring on this new cabinet.  You would think they would have learned with the Super Pac-Man fiasco, but it seems they just don't care.  And that's when you start losing customers.  I was a day one supporter of their products when everyone it seems was against them. 

Now, I've moved on to other companies like Unico (MVSX) and iiRcade (iiRcade) with better products, support and feedback to their customers.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can vouch that, after 40 years, I would definitely notice if they tried to get me to play Missile Command with a joystick! ?

It kind of looks like they wanted to save money on one button. But if that was the case, they could have done one better by mirroring the three button layout from the right to the left, and having a couple of those left fire buttons do double-duty as 1 player and 2 player start buttons.

More likely, it's a combination of factors. They are moving so fast with these designs (are there particularly tight windows that they can operate within for the licenses?) that they don't have enough time to think things through. Mixing aspect ratios is not the best way to go, especially since that's one thing that this product line has going for it - doing both vertical and horizontal screen cabs. Another factor might be that their design engineers are too young to have played these games much if at all. Another factor might be that they have a vested interest in not producing a "perfect" design, since that will motivate additional sales any time an improved or simply different design comes out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I can vouch that, after 40 years, I would definitely notice if they tried to get me to play Missile Command with a joystick! ?

It kind of looks like they wanted to save money on one button. But if that was the case, they could have done one better by mirroring the three button layout from the right to the left, and having a couple of those left fire buttons do double-duty as 1 player and 2 player start buttons.

More likely, it's a combination of factors. They are moving so fast with these designs (are there particularly tight windows that they can operate within for the licenses?) that they don't have enough time to think things through. Mixing aspect ratios is not the best way to go, especially since that's one thing that this product line has going for it - doing both vertical and horizontal screen cabs. Another factor might be that their design engineers are too young to have played these games much if at all. Another factor might be that they have a vested interest in not producing a "perfect" design, since that will motivate additional sales any time an improved or simply different design comes out.

They could have just used the control panel layout from the Atari 12 in 1 and just updated the artwork.

I'm pretty sure, the redesign was quick, and that's why they didn't think things through.

They've been pumping out so many items, that a lot has slipped between the cracks.

===

As far as Q and A goes, this is a new development that came out after a lot of these were announced and released.

At least they're trying to address the software issues now. The hardware really can't be changed at this late of a stage.

Maybe their future cabinets will have improvements.

I have voiced my opinions about things that they have done in the past, and I stand by that there aren't enough people

that are good enough at most of these games to care about issues like button placement. If it can be fixed by software,

then it is possible to update.

--

I have reported problems and issues with games to developers at : Steam, Namco, Microsoft, Konami, Williams, and pretty much every

company with emulators.

NOT ONE SINGLE ONE HAS EVER RESPONDED.

Arcade 1up is the first company that has bothered to try to attempt this kind of a program, and at least they are willing to listen.

later

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 1:11 PM, ls650 said:

Just having the vintage arcade games here, now, today, in some form, is a good thing. As I mentioned elsewhere I'm majorly concerned (anymore) about exact formfactors, button placements, or other physical presentation variances. As a matter of fact I'm liking short throw sticks and buttons or just plain scissors keyboards. Super-fast response time.

I'm more a fan of accurate gameplay, graphics, and sound. After all, that's what we got wrapped up in BITD. Not the side art, not the exact control layout, not the size or style of the cabinet. And especially not the geometrical and color distortions of then well-used CRTs!

Seems we are approaching the "mini cab" crash like the '83 video game crash.  Manufacturers putting out crap with no regard to customer preferences - swamping market with a ton of options, few of which align with customer wants/needs.  If 1Up runs into problems they can look at the ""Legacy Edition" as the reason why ATgames sales continue to rise.

15 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Wrong button placement AND crap spinner?  Who's running the show over at 1Up now?  That's sad, just sad.

It's only one button for one game, 'missile command', and for the vast majority of people the spinner is fine.

The machine is still selling out on pre-orders, and will continue to be one of their better sellers for the legacy line.

later

2 hours ago, Goochman said:

Seems we are approaching the "mini cab" crash like the '83 video game crash.  Manufacturers putting out crap with no regard to customer preferences - swamping market with a ton of options, few of which align with customer wants/needs.  If 1Up runs into problems they can look at the ""Legacy Edition" as the reason why ATgames sales continue to rise.

Atgames will have to sell 1000's of times more machines, if they think they can ever approach arcade 1up's millions of units 

sold per year.

There is no crash. They're coming out with more games than they ever have, with more popular titles, and a lot more to come.

The multigame machines, and multicades on the other hand are crashing, with no point in upgrading, no new ones, and no new features

that really need to be added once you have one.

later

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

The multigame machines, and multicades on the other hand are crashing, with no point in upgrading, no new ones, and no new features

that really need to be added once you have one.

later

iiRcade would tend to disagree with you...