IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

56 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

What's the aspect ratio of the screen? Seems like 4:3 would be easier to rotate inside of the cabinet frame. 16:9 you'd probably need to pull the screen forward somehow to rotate it, then push it back into the cabinet.

16:9. You remove 4 screws to rotate, so it's not free rotating. That would add too much to the cost and create too many potential failure points. Some may switch back and forth on occasion, but it's also for people who want a dedicated cabinet of a particular orientation. 

Because of the 32 inch vertical screen, one of the great ways to play vertical games at home without using a dedicated display is to use the Legends Pinball machine with the optional arcade control panel add-in. It's an impressive experience at that size.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

The game packs and updates for the MVSX have yet to materialize.  Their Facebook account has responded that it's still being looked into.  A LOT of people have taken advantage of the hacks available for it in the interim.

I like the MVSX, but it's a shame what happened. A company rep was one of the ones responsible for disseminating the hacks. From what I understand, SNK is not going to license any add-on games for the product now, but I guess there's still some hope since it remains an active product. As it stands, only iiRcade and AtGames with the Legends Arcade Family series offer the ability to buy more licensed games.

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

16:9. You remove 4 screws to rotate, so it's not free rotating. That would add too much to the cost and create too many potential failure points. Some may switch back and forth on occasion, but it's also for people who want a dedicated cabinet of a particular orientation. 

Ah, that is a shame, I'd want the option to rotate on the fly.  That would have sold me on it.  That single unique feature would have differentiated it from every other cab.  I'm sure the design is already set in stone but some type of quick release might have been better than screws.

22 hours ago, negative1 said:

garage? storage? breakdown one of the lesser used ones?

sell off older ones?

apparently this is becoming an issue for quite a few people.

--------

i live in a house, so i have plenty of room.

here's my 'rcade', i didn't move the modded pac-man there yet,

it's upstairs  in my bedroom.. [still planning things out]

2rights.jpg

2rights.jpg

3partys.jpg
4mins.jpg

later

Just gotta say I'm loving that Blasteroids massive cab.  You don't see many of those in home arcades like this, super cool.  Loved that silly game.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, negative1 said:

garage? storage? breakdown one of the lesser used ones?

sell off older ones?

apparently this is becoming an issue for quite a few people.

--------

i live in a house, so i have plenty of room.

here's my 'rcade', i didn't move the modded pac-man there yet,

it's upstairs  in my bedroom.. [still planning things out]

later

I....also live in a house. That's not the issue. 

I have three cabs: a modded Galaga, a modded Asteroids, and a stock Star Wars. They all get regular play. I could add more cars but that would involve me expanding out of my man room which also doubles as a mini home theater as well as mini arcade. I'm not putting cabs in random places around the house. One makes compromises when one is married and has children. 

If push came to shove, I could maybe squeeze one more cab on this wall. Maybe. If and when the Tron cab materializes, we will see what the reviews say.

20210605_075512.jpg

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 9:14 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

The upcoming Legends Ultimate Mini has a rotatable screen: https://arcades.atgames.net/legends-ultimate-mini/

The Legends Ultimate has swappable control panels, but you can only swap in a panel with eight buttons per player (Gamer Pro controller), which is two more than the stock 6 buttons per player. It already has the trackball and two spinners onboard, and you can add pinball buttons on the side (or they're already included if you get it at Sam's Club).

The Legends Ultimate Mini also has a swappable control panel, but it's only compatible with the Legends Gamer Mini at the moment, so that would be an unnecessary 1:1 swap.

Link is down, at least for me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keatah said:

What is the issue? Simply having too many of them? Something else?

I have space, but I would rather use it for other things. I'm not about to convert the downstairs study/den or upstairs guest room into an arcade for one game.

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Vrock said:

I have space, but I would rather use it for other things. I'm not about to convert the downstairs study/den or upstairs guest room into an arcade for one game.

I hear you. I prefer to place a bartop or SmallFormFactor PC into the existing environment, like my workshop or the ball'n'chain's sewing room. Or the drawing room. Much rather do that than even try to replicate an 80's atmosphere.

Something neutral so that many forms of conversation and entertainment can take place. If any guest appreciates or enjoys games from back then they'll simply see it and have a go.

Getting all flashy and period specific was something I liked to do in the recent past, but not so much today. Kinda grew into it. And now, out of it. Nevertheless it is time to play a few rounds of Tempest and jam some Journey.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zoyous said:

oh-you-will-my-son-you-will.jpg

Ha, I don't know. I'd like to have a Tron cab, but it is a tough sell. I have most every horizontal and vertical game I could want between my three cabs. And let's be honest: Tron wasn't a great game. Don't get me wrong: it was a challenging game that raked in lots of quarters back in the day...but the licensing, cabinet visuals, and controls were a big part of its success. If...and I mean if Arcade1up can get those right, then I will make some room. :)

19 hours ago, Vrock said:

You and I see the same thing, yet I wouldn't get the ability to expand out of my space (and have already gotten crap despite it being MY room for being too much no matter how much I offload.)  I had in this converted 1 car garage for a time 2 pinball tables and a lot more gaming stuff, no pins now, but a neo geo and a modern cocktail.  I could throw a couple mini cabs in here, but I see no reason to, don't want it cramped on the wall and sticking out into the room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vrock said:

And let's be honest: Tron wasn't a great game.

I agree, although people get so worked up about that cabinet I try to hold my tongue. But yeah, it's four bad minigames really. But the cabinet is super cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I liked TRON...Cabinet, music, (mini) Games and all...

I just sucked at any of the 4 games. Cabinet and bass oriented sound was good. Agree there.

I liked DOTRON so so much better and could actually play long enough to not get pissed.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I just sucked at any of the 4 games. Cabinet and bass oriented sound was good. Agree there.

I liked DOTRON so so much better and could actually play long enough to not get pissed.

For Tron,  I had fun with it ;)

At one point, our guitarist in the band Monastat 7 had the full cab* of Discs of Tron, in the living room of his apartment no less!   That game was a Blast!!!

*Kind of a lean against the back of it, rather than "sit down" affair  (heh)

• Like 1

Tron (the movie) is super cool, a 100% unique piece of cinema, although the concept of the world doesn't really hold up that well to close scrutiny, which may be one part of why it's been difficult to keep it going as a series. But the CG is gorgeous and the work that went into it was immense, in a time when there were no GUIs for creating such models and animations, and the rendering times were formidable to say the least. Even as a young kid, I knew the arcade machines of the day couldn't match the type of visuals seen in the movie, but I figured the arcade game could have been done with 3D vector graphics like Battlezone. But in that era it might have been the case that only Atari was capable of pulling that off. Still, Tron did have a much higher resolution monitor than was common at that time (and really even for the rest of the 80s). I think the same monitor might have been used for Satan's Hollow.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I liked TRON...Cabinet, music, (mini) Games and all...

Sorry, I don't mean to come across so harsh with my opinion on it! I did pump a good amount of quarters into it back in the day. I never did see a Discs of Tron machine, though.

• Like 2