IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I didn't mean to be harsh either,  so hopefully it didn't come across that way ;)  (Even with my joking actually, use of the sad emojis).   I just kind of felt like my opinion was a nice little counterpoint to the trend.  Not saying it matters more or less,...Just different. 

Most arcade games of the time gave you 1 scenario and took your money in 3 minutes or so (especially when you first try them)...Tron divided it up into little bits of game, a blast at a time for 4 scenarios...Because I was into the culture of video games and sci fi movies etc., and because I appreciated what they were doing (or maybe I should say what they were trying to do) I definitely have nostalgia for the game and movie.  Unlike today,  where,  to a point, you are nearly assaulted with info for every new release, the Hype (back then) was actually kind of unique.  Lots of other movies came and went;  Barely a blip on our collective radar,  But cross promoted in magazines and aimed at computer/video game fans, Tron was different.  Whether you eventually liked it or not, unlike some  movies of the day, you Knew about it...(So it was more a part of history and culture etc.).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vrock said:

Tron had a higher resolution monitor? 

I believe Tron and Satan's Hollow are both 512x480 (vertically oriented). Most games throughout the 80s were more in the neighborhood of 320x240 so it was pretty striking in that regard.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

TRON and STAR WARS were the first videogames I recognized as having been movie tie-ins. It was neither bad nor good. I may not have been as excited as the next kid. The games were more or less accessories to the movie experience. Seeing the movie didn't want to make me play the game, or playing the game didn't make me want to see the movie. Distinct experiences, separate adventures. No matter how many sound clips were used or how much a game focused on a scene from the movie. I never felt like I was battling AT-AT Walkers in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK from Parker Brothers.

That sort of changed with THE LAST STARFIGHTER. I so wanted the game at home. Some semblance of it anyway as I realized home rigs weren't up to movie standards. It didn't need all the flash and pomp & circumstance. I even wrote Atari letters begging and pleading'em to make it for the 400/800 - thought those were the only gaming machines capable of handling it. This came at a time when STAR RAIDERS fatigue had set in.

I had the Intellivision TRON titles, and yes, they remained distinctly separate. Invoking little aura of the movie. They were good on their own merits and could easily have had different stories and character names without detracting from gameplay.

However I really enjoyed DISCS OF TRON-e and even liked it more later when the early 80's passed. I always used to think there was a supercomputer running it.

52 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Tron (the movie) is super cool, a 100% unique piece of cinema, although the concept of the world doesn't really hold up that well to close scrutiny, which may be one part of why it's been difficult to keep it going as a series.

Absolutely. I thought that then. And today.

Many times movies don't need to hold up to scrutiny for me even though I sometimes analyze them in detail. Once something is torn down into its constituent elements the fantasy quotient goes out the door. And I like maintaining the illusion - that's what movies are all about. While I'm always curious, don't show me the sets. If anything is an illusion breaker it's seeing plywood construction on the bridge of the Enterprise.

I don't think the premise of TRON and its sequel bother me too much in present day. Certainly it didn't back in 1982.

I was wholly disenfranchised by the last TRON movie. Not by the story. Not the characters. But by the topical treatments like excessive camera movement. Excessive darkness and monochromicity. And to double-down on it we saw the 3D version. Lots of annoying concentration needed to keep steady and to think about the 3D effect. Lots effort needed to absorb the environment. If they're complaining about how it flopped at the box office they have nothing to blame except themselves.

But the CG is gorgeous and the work that went into it was immense, in a time when there were no GUIs for creating such models and animations, and the rendering times were formidable to say the least.

Yes.The colors and simple shapes were treats. They matched my imagination to a T.

A lot of CGI today is too overwhelming. You see excessively weathered spacecraft and off-road vehicles with scratches within scratches. Things you just don't register in day-to-day living. But it does create an illusion of strength and durability and age. Maybe not all bad entirely. Just not for me.

Or things are just too perfect with flawless surfaces seemingly impervious to anything. Reflecting everything. Superhero movies are among the worst offenders.

Can't they just use a regular camera and nix the post processing?

Even as a young kid, I knew the arcade machines of the day couldn't match the type of visuals seen in the movie, but I figured the arcade game could have been done with 3D vector graphics like Battlezone.

If they could have waited just a bit they could've done it I'ROBOT style. But then you lose the synergies of a tie-in. Whenever I play IR I think of TRON.

In retrospect I'm happy that game graphics didn't match visuals with moves. It gave us something to aspire to. Today's technically superior game graphics do little to impress me. Where do we go from here?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Just gotta say I'm loving that Blasteroids massive cab.  You don't see many of those in home arcades like this, super cool.  Loved that silly game.

Blasteroids was a hoot! It's one of the few arcade games I completed. So..

Blasteroids

Assault

RoadBlasters

S.T.U.N. Runner

and Super Space Invaders '91

..were among the last games I played in the arcade before calling it quits. It wasn't a quitting moment like.. stop.. no more. Moreso a petering out and winding down thinking hey I got great games at home. BETTER games at home. The time and gas money wasn't a good ROI anymore.

It was interesting to note that they were all 68000 based and likely some of the best 16-bit games I ever played.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Most arcade games of the time gave you 1 scenario and took your money in 3 minutes or so (especially when you first try them)...

I sucked at most arcade games. But still had savant-like performance on a few of them. The ones I just mentioned + Missile Command and Gyruss. I was a wannabe on Liberator and Tempest. And a big fail at everything else.

I loved the insert coin to continue feature. Made rather efficient use of it to avoid grinding through earlier and middle levels.

Tron divided it up into little bits of game, a blast at a time for 4 scenarios...Because I was into the culture of video games and sci fi movies etc., and because I appreciated what they were doing (or maybe I should say what they were trying to do) I definitely have nostalgia for the game and movie.

TRON was a natural tie-in, because all about computers and videogames.

Unlike today,  where,  to a point, you are nearly assaulted with info for every new release, the Hype (back then) was actually kind of unique.

Hype wasn't overdone. Or at least us kids didn't read into it too much. BMX'ing in the mud was equally important.

Today it's 10 kinds of merch, online accounts, surveys and contests you have no chance of winning, and even branded special edition consoles sometimes. And those boomy sound effects in the trailers! Give it a break..

Lots of other movies came and went;  Barely a blip on our collective radar,  But cross promoted in magazines and aimed at computer/video game fans, Tron was different.  Whether you eventually liked it or not, unlike some  movies of the day, you Knew about it...(So it was more a part of history and culture etc.).

Well there are others. WarGames. Did a lot for modems and the BBS scene. At least in my part of town.

• Like 1

I'm digging all the talk about the Tron movie. But not the game, never liked it, never really played it,

looked boring.

I loved the movie, its what made me want to work in the computer graphics industry, which I did for a couple of years.

Also, learned a lot about ray tracing, and fractals back in the day.

Anyways, I hope to be working on a 4K restoration of the 35mm film scan, through a film forum that i'm a part of.

Totally different feel for the film from the blurays and dvd's, and laserdisc versions.

Also, I loved the Tron sequel movie, and the animated CG series was done very well too.

Tron uprising:

Hoping they make a third part as a trilogy someday.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

simpsons arcade, with simpsons bowling also:

k83vcwc919471.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

u222dpsyda471.jpg?width=600&format=pjpg&

ddbb8psyda471.jpg?width=600&format=pjpg&

d343upsyda471.jpg?width=600&format=pjpg&

532wuqsyda471.jpg?width=320&crop=smart&a

There will be hidden games on there to unlock.

Also the coin doors are 3d molded. It should have wifi connectivity.

Price $599. lighted marquee, riser, and possibly a matching stool too.

later

• Like 2

7 hours ago, negative1 said:

simpsons arcade, with simpsons bowling also:

k83vcwc919471.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

u222dpsyda471.jpg?width=600&format=pjpg&

ddbb8psyda471.jpg?width=600&format=pjpg&

d343upsyda471.jpg?width=600&format=pjpg&

532wuqsyda471.jpg?width=320&crop=smart&a

There will be hidden games on there to unlock.

Also the coin doors are 3d molded. It should have wifi connectivity.

Price $599. lighted marquee, riser, and possibly a matching stool too.

later

I like this an awful lot...but really wish they'd have done more continuation of the art onto the riser.  Looks weird as is.  While I agree with the comment that it's pricey for 2 games...off hand I'm not sure what else they would be able to put on there.  But I will reserve judgment, since you say there will be hidden games to unlock.  Maybe they will be awesome :)

If the rumors are true of no Simpsons Bowling on the Simpsons cabinet, then I can't imagine what the second game is or why they'd have a trackball there. It's way overpriced for a beat'em up game that honestly doesn't have a great deal of replay value and their usual 17" screen when everyone else has moved beyond that. At least with the bowling it would have some additional playability. Even though I don't care for the low quality of Arcade1Up products, I would have actually considered this cabinet. However, with only 2 games (and assuming the rumored hidden game or games are nothing special - and WHY hide them?), this is an easy pass. I guess we'll see what's what when the official full details are released.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Just gotta say I'm loving that Blasteroids massive cab.  You don't see many of those in home arcades like this, super cool.  Loved that silly game.

Got mine for $200!

Screenshot_20210611-090313_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

More confirmations and game lists:

https://gamingtrend.com/news/arcade1up-announces-street-fighter-big-blue-edition-ms-pac-man-galaga-class-of-81-and-turtles-in-time-arcade-machines/

Ms.Pac-man5-e1623156848247.jpg

Product Specs:

• Wi-Fi
• 12 Games in 1
• Light-Up Marquee
• Light Up Deck Protector
• Item Dimensions: 22.75” x 19” x 57.8”

Games Available:

• Ms. Pac-Man
• Galaga
• Dig Dug
• Mappy
• Rally X
• Galaxian
• Rolling Thunder
• Rompers
• Tower of Druaga
• King and Balloon
• Dig Dug II
• Galaga ‘88

Pre-Orders begin in August. Pricing details have not yet been released.

Streetfighter-3-e1623157162456.jpg

STREET FIGHTER II: BIG BLUE EDITION!
While SFII has been released quite a few times, this new version features an incredibly unique style, Wi-Fi, and 12 games including a few never before released by Arcade1Up!

Product Specs:

• Wi-Fi
• Lit Marquee
• Exclusive Stool
• Arcade1Up’s Tallest Arcade Yet (67.5”)
• Item Dimensions: 23” x 19” x 67.5”

Games Available:

• Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
• Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
• Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
• Super Puzzle Fighter II: Turbo
• Darkstalkers
• Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge
• Darkstalkers 3
• Saturday Night Slam Masters
• Knights of the Round
• Eco Fighters
• Capcom Sports Club
• Muscle Boomer Duo

Pre-Orders begin on July 1st, 2021. Pricing details have not yet been released.

Turtles-in-Time-2-e1623157458440.jpg

TURTLES IN TIME
While Turtles in Time was included on the previously released TMNT arcade machine, this version features a new look, lit marquee, Wi-Fi, and more!

Product Specs:

• Wi-Fi
• Lit Marquee
• Matching Riser
• Exclusive Stool
• Item Dimensions: 22.75” x 31” x 57.8”

Games Available:

• Turtles in Time
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Pre-Orders begin on July 1st, 2021. Pricing details have not yet been released.

While pricing details were unavailable for any of these items at the time of this writing, I have been told that Arcade1Up does plan on sticking to their current pricing scale of $299 to $599 depending on the product, features, and retailer.

later

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

Although I'm not crazy about the split design (I know it's based on a real split design cab, though), I do like how the Galaga artwork is larger and more centered than it was on the original A1up Galaga cab. Pretty cool that it has wifi for high scores.

• Like 1

I love the Class of 81 cab.

The Big Blue SF2 cab is hideous and should be cleansed with fire.

Atgames, pay attention please. Licensing and presentation matter. Using the correct aspect ratio screen matters.

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Vrock said:

Atgames, pay attention please. Licensing and presentation matter. Using the correct aspect ratio screen matters.

We're fine, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If you think that's an appropriate response to feedback/suggestions on your product...no. You're not fine. Disappointing. I'm in my mid-40s and have plenty of disposable income. Snide answers like that will ensure I spend it elsewhere. Not that you care..."you're fine". 

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vrock said:

guess  you never saw the original sf2.

it will still sell out, and won't miss you. the wifi is the selling point, along with a better game selection.

anybody that only looks at the games, and doesn't play them, are niche.

later

4 hours ago, Vrock said:

It's actually pretty accurate to the original "big blue" style cabinet. But I agree, it's kind of a weird-looking cabinet. I do like that A1up has finally angled the control panel on one of these.

original.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

It's actually pretty accurate to the original "big blue" style cabinet. But I agree, it's kind of a weird-looking cabinet. I do like that A1up has finally angled the control panel on one of these.

original.jpg

Angled?  Well, maybe.  Wouldn't be the first time they showed one thing and released another.

2 hours ago, negative1 said:

guess  you never saw the original sf2.

it will still sell out, and won't miss you. the wifi is the selling point, along with a better game selection.

anybody that only looks at the games, and doesn't play them, are niche.

later

The Supreme Mortal Combat was uglier than shit, and sold out to morons thinking it was bitcoin.  Nobody in their right mind picked that up.  Assuming people are going to keep buying whatever they put out will be their downfall.