IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

3 hours ago, teh_lurv said:

Amazon is cutting even deeper than Walmart. Atari Legacy Cabinet (riser, light-up marquee) for $249.99 @ Amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09219QNRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_8DTF54WPHXT0NF31TVVH

Sold out already, that was a good price, messed up control panel and all.

I was tempted, but I decided to hold off for now and just keep tinkering on the cabinets I currently have. I'm working on bringing the monitor further back in my Asteroids cabinet so I can add the three dimensional folded bezel from the original cabinet (scaled down to size).

• Like 2

Atari Legacy and MKII Midway Legacy are both $350 at both BestBuy and Target, with Riser / light up marquee.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-mortal-kombat-legacy-arcade/6454302.p?skuId=6454302

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-atari-tempest-legacy-arcade/6477844.p?skuId=6477844

Oh and as of Right Now, Walmart has the Atari legacy with Riser for $284 (sold & shipped by Walmart, not some crapo 3rd party shenanigans)

Jebus, I hadn't decided for sure whether to get either and/or the Tron machine (which is still $700) or none...and want to wait on my budget after Xmas but... 350 is a NICE price on these, free shipping.  Daaaang.  

Edited by Hydro Thunder
added Walmart deal
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, Reaperman said:

Ridge Racer Preorders hit tomorrow (22 NOV 2021), and I think I'm actually down for one of them. I'm not a big emulation fan, but I do have room for this little driving cab, and I don't have room for a real one. ?

I suppose I should come clean. After I shot my enthusiastic video, I hesitated big-time on ridge racer, and did a lot of thinking. While ridge racer looks like the coolest arcade 1up ever (by far), and I was legitimately thrilled, it was both slightly too large my spot for it, and really too small for the effort of arranging my life, and one downstairs room, around for it.

The wife kept reminding me I'd never be happy with 1up ridge racer, at least not as my only driving cab, and she's right, so we settled on a Rush 2049SE instead. It was a lot more. I'm not a rich guy, so it's taken a lot of rearranging stuff, but I at least it can't get me into as much trouble as a lot of other hobbies.

I still like the 1up's ridge racer, and may revisit it if the price cools down like outrun eventually did. I bet by then somebody may have a custom drop-in pi build just for doing more racing games with it, which would really be reason to reconsider, but at least for this round I'm out.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 12:58 AM, jgkspsx said:

Heccccck yeah. Ordered Atari Legacy from Best Buy. All I need is a Joust and the Tron and I'll be set for life.

Are you hoping for a Joust with Joust art cab?  Otherwise the MKII Midway Legacy cab has Joust on it :)  The game selection on that thing has to be the BEST I've seen of the A1ups.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Are you hoping for a Joust with Joust art cab?  Otherwise the MKII Midway Legacy cab has Joust on it :)  The game selection on that thing has to be the BEST I've seen of the A1ups.

It's pretty good. Paperboy is unplayable however, and unfortunate that a more appropriate game couldn't have been substituted.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

It's pretty good. Paperboy is unplayable however, and unfortunate that a more appropriate game couldn't have been substituted.

Indeed, and others reviewing on YT have said this.  I fondly recall always wanting to go to Sears with my family when shopping, because they had a tiny little very dark arcade room that had the full size Paperboy machine with the grips and all.  They should have thrown in something else on this, like Satan's Hollow or even Kosmic Kroozer (lol, I actually kind of like it).

I bit the bullet just now, I don't like the price...but I ordered Tron.  I did a lot of thinking about what I'd really like to have in my small arcade room.  And even though it cost what BOTH the MKII Midway Legacy and Atari Legacy would TOGETHER (ugh!!), I've got my multicade for most of the games I love and Tron has the original control scheme.  Plus looks great.  And 18 mo 0% financing helps a lot too.

Won't be here until after Xmas, but once I get it up together will post pics & thoughts of course :)

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Joust art and a single axis joystick gate. It’s the only real arcade machine I could justify the space for.

I like Mortal Kombat fine but I don’t want an arcade facsimile of it in my house. It’s just not very me :) 

• Like 2

Same here, I definitely rank it as one of the greatest video games of all time! Regarding scores, that's pretty similar to me. I think my best score has been around 120-130k. I need to figure out how to reliably deal with the Unbeatable? Pterodactyl.

I am going to change my blank MAME cabinet to a Joust cabinet. I reached out to one of the main people who has been making aftermarket lit marquees for A1ups, but they declined to make one for my cabinet (it's about 3" wider than a typical A1up).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Usually around 70-90k, but I have gotten over 150k. I’m not particularly good but it is my favorite arcade game and hugely totemic for me. (Also, I would like to get better at the actual arcade hardware!)

The Defender Partycade has probably a better selection than the Midway Legacy.

Which also includes joust.

Its one of my favorite machines. But it would be just a reskin, like defender was.

I doubt they would do a 2 way stick. Not enough games for that.

And worse, Joust 2, which isn't that great, and is way, way too hard, is a vertical game, not horizontal.

(i have been playing it for the challenge).

==============================

The funny thing about joust is it gets MUCH easier, the higher the levels.

The other strategy (although some say its not really fair), is just stay under the lower ledge

at the bottom (when its their) and kill all the enemies that way.

By the time you get to level 20 and up, and its just shadow lords, you spend almost

all your time at the bottom, waiting for them to come to you, and klll them. Its kind

of funny looking.

the genesis williams arcade joust is like the arcade, but due a bug in programming

the SNES version is the hardest of them all, because of the shadow lord logic,

and no kill spots for the pteryodactyls.

later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, negative1 said:

The Defender Partycade has probably a better selection than the Midway Legacy.

Which also includes joust.

Its one of my favorite machines. But it would be just a reskin, like defender was.

I doubt they would do a 2 way stick. Not enough games for that.

And worse, Joust 2, which isn't that great, and is way, way too hard, is a vertical game, not horizontal.

(i have been playing it for the challenge).

==============================

The funny thing about joust is it gets MUCH easier, the higher the levels.

The other strategy (although some say its not really fair), is just stay under the lower ledge

at the bottom (when its their) and kill all the enemies that way.

By the time you get to level 20 and up, and its just shadow lords, you spend almost

all your time at the bottom, waiting for them to come to you, and klll them. Its kind

of funny looking.

the genesis williams arcade joust is like the arcade, but due a bug in programming

the SNES version is the hardest of them all, because of the shadow lord logic,

and no kill spots for the pteryodactyls.

later

I'm having trouble finding the game list for the Defender partycade. A1UP doesn't even have it on their website. Could you list them for us, because I'd like to see the difference and what they replaced Paperboy with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I'm having trouble finding the game list for the Defender partycade. A1UP doesn't even have it on their website. Could you list them for us, because I'd like to see the difference and what they replaced Paperboy with.

Defender

Gauntlet

Klax

Rootbeer Tapper

Bubbles

Joust

Rampage

Wizard of Wor

Sinistar

Gorf

I like Klax as a good puzzle game, and having Sinistar is very good too, even with the 8 way controller.

later

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

Has anyone hacked the Pong countercade so it can include more spinner games?

There hasn't been much hacking of the stock hardware to add games to most A1up releases - exceptions being the very first generation of four cabinets, and the pinball tables. Aside from those, most people fully replace the stock PCBs with Raspberry Pi 3+s and 4s, or PCs.

• Like 1

It's too bad.  I may fool with it at some point, although I'm afraid to brick it.  Arkanoid (and Arkanoid II) are the only games I'm missing.  I have the 1st generation Asteroids release (to which I removed the spinner to make room for outside joysticks on either end for games like Battlezone and Robotron.  I have an RPi in that one, the 1st generation Galaga release (to which I added a 4-way joystick, an extra button and an RPi to) - those are the only two I modded.  I then have the Pac-Man legacy, Ms. Pac-Man legacy (which I found a way to mod the 1up board, but I have the wrong model to add games to), the Atari legacy, and the Defender 40th, on which I plan on re-working the button layout as I don't care about MK, MKII, and most of the other games on it.  I got it for Defender, and I'm going to see if there's a way to add Stargate to it (without resorting to an RPi).

That leaves (for me), Arkanoid. I don't plan on adding a spinner to my RPi cabs, so the Pong one (which I also have) is the perfect candidate if we could just add one game to it.

Of course, this is all null and void if Arcade 1up plans on an 'Arkanoid' cabinet...  :ponder:

EDIT: Also, I would LOVE if they did a Baby Pac-Man cab. :D

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1