IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Have to say...two thumbs way up on the Pong countercade. Plays great, lots of settings for each game, plenty of head to head fun (most via Pong Sports IMO) and lots of single player fun too with  Super Breakout, Tempest, and even Warlords. Impressed by the screen too....looks great without and WITH scanlines, and even somehow has a nice small "trail" on the pong ball, a la a CRT.

I wish it had come with a screen protector, that's be my only complaint. Well, I also wish I was better as Super Breakout, that's another complaint!  XD

• Like 1

I wish *one* of them came with Arkanoid <- my only complaint. :P 

Also...

Is it me, or are there NO videos/websites that show you how to get into the Defender 40th anniversary cab?  I want to try to remove/add some games (i.e. add stargate, remove the MK series) but still want to use the original board.  It's the 2nd generation (or maybe the third?) board but I haven't been able to get into it via USB nor Serial port. :( 

EDIT:  Alsoalso, what's funny, is that the button layout for Defender, is the same as the labels on the control panel, but NOT the same on the little "button instruction" screen they give you before the game comes on.  THAT one matches how I want the layout to be:

pic2.thumb.jpg.3d96ff495dd0653f174d278d14e20752.jpg

pic1.thumb.jpg.f809474693261ded15eb321dcde0fe3c.jpg

...and the buttons they show on the right in the picture do not work in-game. :(

EDIT2 - Just thought of something; I wonder if that layout on the right is for player two. :ponder: That would be a little odd; being there's no two player simultaneous option... but whatever.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I wish *one* of them came with Arkanoid <- my only complaint. :P 

Also...

Is it me, or are there NO videos/websites that show you how to get into the Defender 40th anniversary cab?  I want to try to remove/add some games (i.e. add stargate, remove the MK series) but still want to use the original board.  It's the 2nd generation (or maybe the third?) board but I haven't been able to get into it via USB nor Serial port. :( 

EDIT:  Alsoalso, what's funny, is that the button layout for Defender, is the same as the labels on the control panel, but NOT the same on the little "button instruction" screen they give you before the game comes on.  THAT one matches how I want the layout to be:

pic2.thumb.jpg.3d96ff495dd0653f174d278d14e20752.jpg

pic1.thumb.jpg.f809474693261ded15eb321dcde0fe3c.jpg

...and the buttons they show on the right in the picture do not work in-game. :(

EDIT2 - Just thought of something; I wonder if that layout on the right is for player two. :ponder: That would be a little odd; being there's no two player simultaneous option... but whatever.

the 2 player is for one after the other. taking turns.

however, it has been mentioned they don't work for player 2.

later

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

I was under the impression only first gen boards were hackable to add games, at least that's all I've ever seen advertized. 

there are people working on adding games to the latest v3 ones, that run a version of android.

it's not the worth the trouble, so that's why people just use pc's and pi's.

later

• Like 3

So @negative1 , I'm assuming you'd have said so if there was any word but just gotta ask...

Any rumblings with any bases about a ballpark date for a Robotron (Smash TV Total Carnage etc) cab, and/or another light gun cab?

Starting to get my tiny arcade filled up and kind of holding off a bit of space for both / either of those if they ever become reality

4 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

So @negative1 , I'm assuming you'd have said so if there was any word but just gotta ask...

Any rumblings with any bases about a ballpark date for a Robotron (Smash TV Total Carnage etc) cab, and/or another light gun cab?

Starting to get my tiny arcade filled up and kind of holding off a bit of space for both / either of those if they ever become reality

wait until after CES, and see if they make an announcement then.

I'm hoping it comes out in 2022.

there will definitely be a new racing cabinet, and shooter cabinet next year.

later

• Like 3

After some more thought, you wouldn't really need Super Sprint if Championship Sprint was there. You would want the cab to remain 2 players I would think. The only real difference is a few track patterns, and Championship Sprint has the Fast Helicopter power up vs. More Score on SS. 

Badlands would be a superior game in favor of Super Sprint. I also wonder if the control panel would be too encumbered by the presence of two 4-speed shifters for Pole Position 1 & 2. The original Sprint games also had the same shifter IIRC.

I'm just thinking of the physical engineering to keep the cab to scale with the rest of the series. I'm not even sure if there are licensing conflicts between Pole Position and the Sprint games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

I'm not even sure if there are licensing conflicts between Pole Position and the Sprint games.

That's a good point. I think when Pole Position was released as part of those plug-and-play units from the 00's, it was part of a Namco collection. It might not be possible these days to combine it with Atari Games releases.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

That's a good point. I think when Pole Position was released as part of those plug-and-play units from the 00's, it was part of a Namco collection. It might not be possible these days to combine it with Atari Games releases.

It wouldn't be. You're right, it's not an Atari game. The Super Sprint games aren't Atari either.

• Like 2

Here's hoping for something like this, this one is from a company that sells side / riser / kickplate art etc:

Arcade1Up - Championship Sprint Art Kit

https://www.escapepodonline.com/collections/arcade1up/products/arcade1up-championship-sprint-art-kit

If A1up came out with something like this with the wheels / pedals of good quality, Champ Sprint and Badlands on it, I'm game.  Esp if it's $450 or less.  Go above that and...well.  Not a fan of the "everything is $700 for no reason!  Er I mean inflation!  Even though parts costs aren't going up and neither are wages or shipping!  Inflation, as in, inflation of my wallet hah!".  

On that note...Got my Tron machine late tonight :)  Part of my rationale on it is I actually needed a stool and it came with, which adds actual value for me as I don't have other stools of bar height and this is now my 4th game cabinet so it'll get tons of use.  Got the stool put together and the cab half assembled and calling it a night.  Tired from #$%^$$# snow shoveling / blowing.  Heavy, wet snow said a nasty hello today (had to scramble to make a path for UPS for the Tron box, it weighed roughly three tons, daaaaang).  Pics and initial review tomorrow.  Off hand just from brief tinkering, the spinner feels pretty loosey goosey; I think a big part of this is the fact that it doubles as a push button.  But that said, I remember the spinner / Grenade button on Front Line, it was much more solid than this feels so far.  Truth is in the gameplay, so I'll see tomorrow.

• Like 3

No two ways about it, this “assembly “ (more like a build-your-own kit!) was a major PITA.  One YouTuber I watched said it took him 8 hours, I may have clocked in at around 6 but idk.  After putting together my iiRcade in about 45 minutes, this felt convoluted, poorly thought out, and lacking.  But that said…

The machine looks GREAT, and is a lot of fun.  I actually really like the flight stick and trigger, find them responsive, precise, and just about right.

the spinner I like less.  I really have to concentrate to get any precision on it, it feels floppy due to how loose the push button function is, and am going to seriously consider a GRS replacement if one comes out for the A1up Tron.  

All these things said, I have already gotten one of my highest scores ever after only a dozen tries or so, so maybe the spinner’s more accurate than it feels initially.

As others have said, the answer to whether it’s worth the scratch ($700) is up to the individual.  For me at the start I would say yes, due to wanting the stool, loving the look and the games to pieces, and the Best Buy 0% 18 month financing.  If you are “meh” on Tron, hate assembling difficult stuff, don’t need a stool…maybe not so much for you.

Oh and the kickplate art was $40 with shipping from the previously mentioned Escape Pod Online store.  I suck at arts & crafts stuff so the wrinkles/ bubbles are my fault (ran out of patience squeegee ing them out), but I think it’s a good addition (the stock version is plain black, kind of odd).

6E920B22-39C4-4164-82AF-C23B481A4F7E.jpeg

1FA748E4-972E-442D-A156-A6517DBE6E85.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

No two ways about it, this “assembly “ (more like a build-your-own kit!) was a major PITA.  One YouTuber I watched said it took him 8 hours, I may have clocked in at around 6 but idk.  After putting together my iiRcade in about 45 minutes, this felt convoluted, poorly thought out, and lacking.  But that said…

Oh and the kickplate art was $40 with shipping from the previously mentioned Escape Pod Online store.  I suck at arts & crafts stuff so the wrinkles/ bubbles are my fault (ran out of patience squeegee ing them out), but I think it’s a good addition (the stock version is plain black, kind of odd).

Wow! Personally I've enjoyed the assembly process on the cabs so far, and even kind of wanted them to be a little bit more challenging. But 6+ hours would really be trying anyone's patience! I wonder what the deal is? Fully assembled it doesn't look that much more complex than the other cabinets. It's probably considerably more heavy, though, and needs more internal support/weight distribution.

The kickplate art looks great - I love seeing the ENCOM logo on there!

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Wow! Personally I've enjoyed the assembly process on the cabs so far, and even kind of wanted them to be a little bit more challenging. But 6+ hours would really be trying anyone's patience! I wonder what the deal is? Fully assembled it doesn't look that much more complex than the other cabinets. It's probably considerably more heavy, though, and needs more internal support/weight distribution.

The kickplate art looks great - I love seeing the ENCOM logo on there!

Well clearly YMMV, and in fact, here's a guy getting the whole thing put together in 38 seconds!!!

Have to point out that everything actually was going fine in my process until the noticeable Gap at the 0:27 mark of the video.  He skips the most painful and tough part, fitting the right side onto all the dowels and such, getting everything to match the grooves.  I am guessing he had about as much fun as I did with it :P  and/or got a helper, which I should have.  I should add that a significant part of my assembly time was the vinyl sticker which I at first put on sideways (grrrrrrrrrrr I'm an idiot! but the instructions pictures definitely leave some to be desired too lol).  I would say a person good at this kind of thing would probably be able to get it together with help in just under 2 hours maybe (most of the time being all the little screws and such), I am not particularly great at this sort of thing so keep that in mind.

And just for verification (I attach no level of pride or insult to my 6 hour time, it is what it is!), here is the video of the guy who said it took from 8pm to 4am for him to assemble:

One of the PITA factors for me was on first startup there was no sound.  So I unscrewed the back, rehooked up the sound plug into the main board, worked great.  Put the back panel on.  Moved the cabinet a few feet, gently.  Fired it up.  No Sound.  -_-  Unscrewed the back panel, unplugged / replugged in the sound cable again.  Works fine.  Might light the pointless back panel on fire now. :)

• Like 1

Interesting, my last 1Up was about a 30 minute build, but it's been a while.  I just got my Tron from BB the other day so I may put it together this weekend.  As I opted for $30 instead of the financing + another $100 off from a BB CC coupon, I was OK getting it for $569.00.  Still wished they'd used the voice ROM for Discs of Tron, or enabled that feature.

• Like 2

Dang.  I really need to put my Tron together.  Looks like I could even make it to the top 10 scores if it plays close enough to the arcade.  :)

The major problem is making room for it in the game room.  I really have too much crap. 

Also funny is how so many pictures people have of the Tron are next to the Star Wars - that's the only other Arcade 1up I have as well.

• Like 1

Killer Instinct Pro -series , no price yet:

https://arcade1up.com/products/ki-pro

Killer Instinct™ Arcade Machine PRO SERIES Edition

With its increased size over standard Arcade1Up game machines, the PRO SERIES features a new 19” LCD screen that provides a 5:4 arcade aspect ratio, with stunning vibrancy, contrast, and viewing angles. Upgraded speakers and speaker grills accentuate every strike executed.

For retrogaming “control freaks,” the PRO SERIES features upgraded joysticks and more generous spacing between components that improves precision.

And yeah, Arcade1Up’s already gorgeous game machines get next-level aesthetics with the PRO SERIES. Eye-popping faux chrome trim runs around the cabinet edges, and a cosmetic 3D molded coin door with light-up coin slots for 1-2 player start really drives that nostalgia home. And of course, an upgraded light-up marquee is a fighting game beacon clear across the room.

Arcade1Up has you in professional fight-ready shape, with the Killer Instinct™ PRO SERIES home arcade game machine!

Specifications:

• Wifi (Online Multiplayer)
  • Flush Cabinet Design stands at 67.5” Tall!
  • 19” LCD Screen
  • Upgraded Lit Marquee
  • Suzohapp Joysticks and Buttons
  • Upgraded Speakers and Speaker Grills
  • Clear Deck Protector
  • Molded coin door with light-up coin slots for 1-2 player start.
  • Faux Metal T-Molding
  • Faux Arcade1up badge
  • Licensed Swivel Stool with Back Rest
  • Licensed Anti-fatigue mat included
  • Licensed Tin Sign 18” x 24”

Games:

• KILLER INSTINCT™
  • KILLER INSTINCT 2™
  • BATTLETOADS™ ARCADE
  • BATTLETOADS 8 BIT
  • BATTLETOADS 16 BIT

later

• Like 2

Pac-mania Legacy with wifi leaderboards
https://arcade1up.com/collections/ces-2022-announcements/products/bandai-namco-legacy-arcade-machine-pac-mania-edition

BANDAI NAMCO Legacy Arcade Machine Pac-Mania Edition

For the first time ever in a BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. Legacy home arcade game machine, you’ve got WiFi leaderboards! With no subscription required, see how your high scores measure up to other retrogamers with this Arcade1Up BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. PAC-MANIATM Legacy Edition.

Bringing you authentic (and yes, way nostalgic!) arcade experiences in an easily assembled design, Arcade1Up game machines are must-haves for your family game room, fan cave, or a welcome distraction in the office. They play great, look great, and are instant conversation pieces.

Originally founded under the name Nakamura Seisakusho in 1955, the company that would become BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. was initially in the coin-operated amusement ride business. Entering the video game industry at the end of the ‘70s, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment’s titles would quickly change the world of entertainment forever. With their release of GALAXIAN™, GALAGA™, and PAC-MAN™ — the best-selling arcade game of all time — BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment’s titles were instrumental in ushering in the golden age of arcade games and have impacted pop-culture across generations.

FEATURES AND SPECIFICATIONS

Hope you’ve got a big arcade gamin’ appetite, because the Arcade1Up BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. PAC-MANIATM Legacy Edition includes a power packed line up of 14 games, in this gorgeous cabinet that includes a matching riser and light-up marquee.

Whoa and what a game list this is…FOURTEEN titles! Start off with the marquee game Pac-ManiaTM, then (ready for this?) Pac-ManTM, Pac & PalTM, Super Pac-ManTM, Pac-ManTM Plus, Pac-LandTM, GalagaTM, GalaxianTM, GalagaTM '88, MappyTM, Dig DugTM, Dig DugTM II, RompersTM, and Rolling ThunderTM. ALL included. Switch up to any included game at will, with the easy to navigate on-screen menus.

Iconic arcade games. Pop culture imagery that has stood the test of time. Nostalgia that transcends generations. We call this the “Legacy Edition” for a reason…make that many reasons!

Features:

• WiFi Leaderboards for the first time in an Arcade1Up Legacy game machine
  • Custom Riser
  • Light-Up Marquee
  • Molded Coin door
  • Includes 14 classic BANDAI NAMCO games

Specifications:

• 17" Color LCD screen
  • Assembled Dimensions: 22.85” D x 19.75” W x 57.80” H 
  • Box dimensions 48.0” H x 7.0” D x 24.0” W
  • Weight: 67.76 lbs
  • Adjustable Volume
  • Clear Deck Protector
  • Anti-Tip Over Strap

later

this one is an instant buy for me : centipede

Atari Legacy Arcade Machine Centipede® Edition

with 3 buttons on each side and volcano buttons

Atari Legacy Arcade Machine Centipede® Edition

Ready to have a retro BLAST at home anytime, no quarters required? Arcade1Up’s Atari Legacy CENTIPEDE® Edition game machine includes a phenomenal line up of 14 games, in this gorgeous cabinet that includes a matching riser and light-up marquee.

What a game list this is…FOURTEEN classic Atari titles! Centipede®, Millipede ®, Asteroids ®, Asteroids Deluxe, Major Havoc ®, Missile Command ®, Akka Arrh, Crystal Castles ®, Tempest ®, Gravitar ®, Liberator, Space Duel (1 Player), Super Breakout ®, and Lunar Lander ®. ALL included.

Switch up to any included game at will, with the easy to navigate on-screen menus. And for the first time in an Arcade1Up Legacy machine, see how your skills rank with online WiFi leaderboards!

Iconic arcade games. Pop culture imagery that has stood the test of time. Nostalgia that transcends generations. We call this the “Legacy Edition” for a reason…make that many reasons!

Features:

• Form factor that emulates for the first time the shape of the original classic CENTIPEDE® arcade cabinet
  • WiFi Leaderboards for the first time in an Arcade1Up Legacy game machine
  • Real feel arcade controls
  • Light-up 1P & 2P volcano buttons
  • Custom Riser
  • Light-Up Marquee
  • Molded Coin door
  • Includes 14 classic Atari games

Specifications:

• 17" Color LCD screen
  • Assembled Dimensions: 22.85” D x 18.90” W x 57.80” H 
  • Box dimensions 48.0” H x 7.0” D x 24.0” W
  • Weight: 67.76 lbs
  • Adjustable Volume
  • Clear Deck Protector
  • Anti-Tip Over Strap

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 4

Mortal kombat 30th

https://arcade1up.com/collections/ces-2022-announcements/products/midway-legacy-arcade-machine-mortal-kombat-30th-anniversary-edition

Midway Legacy Arcade Machine Mortal Kombat 30th Anniversary Edition

From Scorpion to Sub-Zero to Jax to Mileena, it’s time to perfect those finishing moves (and friendships…and babalities…) against opponents in-person right next to you OR remotely from their own Legacy game machine!

This home arcade packs a SUPERB punch, with a line up of 14 games, in a gorgeous cabinet that includes a matching riser and light-up marquee.

Yes…FOURTEEN titles! Mortal Kombat™, Mortal Kombat II™, Mortal Kombat 3™, Ultimate MK 3™, Toobin™ , Rampage™, Joust™, Wizard Of Woz™, Gauntlet™, Rootbeer Tapper™, Defender™, Bubbles™ , Paperboy™, and Klax™. ALL included.

Switch up to any included game at will, with the easy to navigate on-screen menus. Oh, and in addition to the WiFi LIVE play, see how your high scores measure up with online WiFi leaderboards!

Features:

• WiFi Live online play, for the first time in an Arcade1Up Mortal Kombat game machine
  • Custom Riser
  • Light-Up Marquee
  • Molded Coin door
  • Includes 14 classic MIDWAY games

Specifications:

• Assembled Dimensions: 20.50" D x 19.75" W x 57.80" H
  • Box Dimensions: 7.0" Dx 24.00" W x 47.75" H
  • Weight: 69.10 lbs
  • Adjustable Volume
  • Clear Deck Protector
  • Anti-Tip Over Strap

later

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, negative1 said:

this one is an instant buy for me : centipede

with 3 buttons on each side and volcano buttons

Looks great! I'd like to get that one too.

Looks like they went with a horizontal screen... understandable considering the rest of the games. But hopefully they don't stretch the image of Centipede and Millipede as shown in the mockup. Or at least give you the option to choose the correct aspect ratio.

• Like 1