IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

13 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

You're confusing iiRcade with the Legends Arcade Family products. iiRcade only has the full size cabinets. The Legends Arcade Family has various form factors, game streaming (ArcadeNet and BYOG), and online play (which iiRcade recently added). 

duh,

sorry, yeah, i got the Atgames confused with it.

my point still stands. i don't care for online features.

but it is a good point for those that do care about it.

hopefully, it will be robust.

later

10 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's basically the Android version of the game. They all play and look just like they're supposed to and it's nice to have a few of the extra options. I enjoy the DL-series games just fine on the iiRcade and don't feel like I need a smaller, more authentic looking version (and frankly have the Replicade for that anyway).

I suspect the Arcade1Up version will use the same master film transfer process as the other modern ports of the game, so, other than the scoreboard, you're likely not gaining much with the Arcade1Up version and probably compromising a bit per usual with screen size and controller quality.

for once, controller and screen issues won't be a problem.

the screens are better quality, and in this case, you only need an 8 way joystick, not a flight stick, spinner, or trackball.

later

The only parts about Dragon's Lair that feel like a proper game to me are the "driving" sections, like when you're paddling through the rapids and when you're on the flying haunted horse armor. Those parts actually flow pretty well. The other sequences are too choppy and the difficulty range goes from hard to nearly impossible. The developers managed to release this game at a time when it could have a shocking impact in the arcades, and for that reason it's attained a status that I would describe not as a "classic" but more like "notorious."

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

The only parts about Dragon's Lair that feel like a proper game to me are the "driving" sections, like when you're paddling through the rapids and when you're on the flying haunted horse armor. Those parts actually flow pretty well. The other sequences are too choppy and the difficulty range goes from hard to nearly impossible. The developers managed to release this game at a time when it could have a shocking impact in the arcades, and for that reason it's attained a status that I would describe not as a "classic" but more like "notorious."

It's an overrated semi-game that I still love unironically. The characters and overall art style have significant charm for me and I still get the nostalgic vibes whenever I play it today (mostly on the Dragon's Lair Replicade (and soon to be the Space Ace Replicade) and iiRcade, although I still have the BluRay version and the C-64 and Adam versions). While I acknowledge the games are little more than timed (and occasionally memorized) moves (despite Space Ace trying to inject a little more variability into things), I still like playing it because it's quite unlike anything else. I have a definite soft spot for this short-lived style of games, much like I have a soft spot for vintage speech synthesis. I do acknowledge that it would incredibly hard for those not around at the time to appreciate what these are, especially since many of today's games are equally beautiful and far more interactive. I still also enjoy playing today's FMV games, but they're more choose-your-adventure than attempting anything like a semi-real-time game like these.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 3

I finally got around to building one a these. I gotta say, it could certainly be better, but it’s magical to see it in action anyway.

BBFA4C24-A8AB-4231-B8DF-CB5180A2DD7A.thumb.jpeg.d7c49ff0df5351c10f04c8fd89df785a.jpeg

881DA2DE-633B-47F3-8257-2B54AC509020.thumb.jpeg.25bfa2d58a9969f2139c05fffd03a2b1.jpeg

My only real complaint about assembly was that I scratched up the edge of a side panel a little trying to get the IDC connector on before realizing it was easier to get in when the control panel was seated. I don’t know why they said to do it before it was attached :(

My main complaint about it in operation is that the black point seems pretty high, making the games seem pretty washed out. Oddly it looks fine in the Arcade1up menus.

196D0AD6-F70E-4EE6-824C-10D1CC85D9FF.thumb.jpeg.33e32d921c4374f7830a52338d5d2a93.jpeg

If anybody else has a Tron cabinet, feel free to add me!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Once again overpriced for what it is ..... I'm noticing a pattern here.

how much do portable laptop arcade emulators, with spinners, and trackballs go for?

everything else i've found is comparable or more expensive.

later

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, negative1 said:

how much do portable laptop arcade emulators, with spinners, and trackballs go for?

everything else i've found is comparable or more expensive.

later

I don't understand this overpriced complaint. I don't want one of these couchcades, but it's comparable in price to an Hori Real Arcade Pro joystick. Pretty typical for the size and equipment in my estimation. Is there not supposed to be any profit made?

• Like 2

NBA JAM SHAQ edition : $700

pre-order

https://arcade1up.com/collections/just-anounced/products/nba-jam-shaq-edition-arcade-machine?utm_source=Main Newsletter List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SHAQ - 05022022 - Black BG (XQGEFs)&bxid=01FEF62093R23AEF8AA1C768BQ&triplesource=klaviyo&_kx=86F6uIHvHvVeV5Q234ozf9shK2o9pMTv4N1A7h9BXzErlrZpvGXVejz00w-UF-tr.TyimuS

NBA JAM™: SHAQ EDITION Arcade Machine

Dunk on the competition with the new NBA JAM™: SHAQ EDITION home arcade machine, from Arcade1Up! This Shaq-massive 67” tall single piece game cabinet sports a 19” screen for the first time on an Arcade1Up NBA JAM™ game cabinet.

later

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, negative1 said:

NBA JAM SHAQ edition : $700

pre-order

https://arcade1up.com/collections/just-anounced/products/nba-jam-shaq-edition-arcade-machine?utm_source=Main Newsletter List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SHAQ - 05022022 - Black BG (XQGEFs)&bxid=01FEF62093R23AEF8AA1C768BQ&triplesource=klaviyo&_kx=86F6uIHvHvVeV5Q234ozf9shK2o9pMTv4N1A7h9BXzErlrZpvGXVejz00w-UF-tr.TyimuS

NBA JAM™: SHAQ EDITION Arcade Machine

Dunk on the competition with the new NBA JAM™: SHAQ EDITION home arcade machine, from Arcade1Up! This Shaq-massive 67” tall single piece game cabinet sports a 19” screen for the first time on an Arcade1Up NBA JAM™ game cabinet.

later

Good deal for the oversized cab. 

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I’m starting to see unopened units show up on FB marketplace for cheap. There was an MK Legacy for $200. I was tempted for Joust etc but… I just don’t want MK art in my house. I wonder if anybody makes custom wraps for them.

There are several companies that have design templates already set up for the gen 1 cabinets. I've usually seen them in the ballpark of ~$175. Now that A1up is doing more variations of cabinets, I expect at least some of them will provide for those. Especially since the MK Legacy is likely pretty popular.

I'm in the process of converting my generic/blank MAME cabinet into a Joust design. I had looked into getting large decals for the side panels, but ultimately I decided A) I've never worked with a decal that large before and it would certainly be a learning curve for me as a first-timer to apply it without getting a ton of bubbles stuck under it, and B) the original Joust cabinet was a painted stencil design, which is a lot more manageable for me. I found the color-separated stencil patterns online as well as someone who had already sourced matching paint colors. I've also got a marquee and the yellow and blue joystick ball-tops on the way. I'm still not sure what I'll do about the control panel overlay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I’m starting to see unopened units show up on FB marketplace for cheap. There was an MK Legacy for $200. I was tempted for Joust etc but… I just don’t want MK art in my house. I wonder if anybody makes custom wraps for them.

I would jump at that deal, that's too good to pass up for MK Legacy with Root Beer Tapper, and all the others.  I disagree personally on the art but...

I recommend Escape Pod Online for art sets.  If you're a Joust fan here's one:

https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/joust-midway-legacy-edition-complete-art-kit

It's not cheap, but also not cheap in terms of quality :)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I would jump at that deal, that's

It's not cheap, but also not cheap in terms of quality :)

The full kit is about what I would pay for the whole machine… but then I would pay that much for a dedicated Joust machine…

I love the MK2 art, don’t get me wrong. It just doesn’t fit my vibe :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mk 30th anniversary pre-order from arcade 1up today, and best buy $499

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-midway-mortal-kombat-30th-anniversary-legacy-edition-arcade/6507999.p?skuId=6507999

Alt View Zoom 11. Arcade1Up - Midway Mortal Kombat 30TH Anniversary Legacy Edition Arcade.

This home arcade packs a SUPERB punch, with a line up of 14 games, in a gorgeous cabinet that includes a matching riser and light-up marquee.

Yes…FOURTEEN titles! Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate MK 3, Toobin , Rampage, Joust, Wizard Of Woz, Gauntlet, Rootbeer Tapper, Defender, Bubbles , Paperboy, and Klax. ALL included.

Switch up to any included game at will, with the easy to navigate on-screen menus. Oh, and in addition to the WiFi LIVE play, see how your high scores measure up with online WiFi leaderboards!

Iconic arcade games. Pop culture imagery that has stood the test of time. Nostalgia that transcends generations. We call this the “Legacy Edition” for a reason…make that many reasons!

Features:

WiFi Live online play, for the first time in an Arcade1Up Mortal Kombat game machine, Custom Riser, Light-Up Marquee, Molded Coin door, Includes 14 classic MIDWAY games

later

this is the one i've been waiting for : Centipede,

preorder at arcade 1up and best buy $499

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arcade1up-atari-legacy-centipede-edition-with-riser-lit-marque-arcade/6507995.p?skuId=6507995

Alt View Zoom 11. Arcade1Up - Atari Legacy Centipede Edition with Riser & Lit Marque Arcade.

Ready to have a retro BLAST at home anytime, no quarters required? Arcade1Up’s Atari Legacy CENTIPEDE Edition game machine includes a phenomenal line up of 14 games, in this gorgeous cabinet that includes a matching riser and light-up marquee.

What a game list this is…FOURTEEN classic Atari titles! Centipede, Millipede, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Major Havoc , Missile Command , Akka Arrh, Crystal Castles, Tempest, Gravitar, Liberator, Space Duel (1 Player), Super Breakout, and Lunar Lander. ALL included.

Switch up to any included game at will, with the easy to navigate on-screen menus. And for the first time in an Arcade1Up Legacy machine, see how your skills rank with online WiFi leaderboards!

Iconic arcade games. Pop culture imagery that has stood the test of time. Nostalgia that transcends generations. We call this the “Legacy Edition” for a reason…make that many reasons!

Features:

Form factor that emulates for the first time the shape of the original classic CENTIPEDE arcade cabinet, WiFi Leaderboards for the first time in an Arcade1Up Legacy game machine, Real feel arcade controls, Light-up 1P and 2P volcano buttons, Custom Riser, Light-Up Marquee

later

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, negative1 said:

this is the one i've been waiting for : Centipede,

preorder at arcade 1up and best buy $499

Where will you be preordering from? As I recall in the past, people had preordered from A1up only to find that it came to retailers before the A1up orders shipped out.

4 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Where will you be preordering from? As I recall in the past, people had preordered from A1up only to find that it came to retailers before the A1up orders shipped out.

the links were from bestbuy.

they had a 10% off with a best buy credit card, and also a $50 off for early buyers. 

i didn't get it yet. but i will be getting it at some point.

free shipping from arcade 1up and also from best buy.

later