IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

On 8/21/2021 at 11:50 AM, negative1 said:

Game list for this:

1. GALAGA™
  2. PAC-MAN™
  3. PAC-LAND ™
  4.  PAC-MAN™PLUS
  5.  SUPER PAC-MAN™
  6.  PAC & PAL™
  7.  PAC-MANIA™
  8.  GALAXIAN™
  9.  DIG DUG™
  10.  DIG DUG™ II
  11.  MAPPY™
  12.  ROMPERS™

Not too bad.  Thumbs up for Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, Galaxian, Pac-Mania, Dig Dug, and Mappy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

Looks great! Definitely more appealing to me personally than the Mortal Kombat design. I'd have to get rid of that Midway logo though! ? It's funny because the Bally/Williams pinball table has a proper Williams logo. I guess the pinball games are under different ownership now than the video games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, negative1 said:

Games:

1. Defender™
  2. Mortal Kombat™
  3. Mortal Kombat II™
  4. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3™
  5. Joust™™
  6. Rampage™
  7. Gauntlet™
  8. Paperboy™
  9. Rootbeer Tapper™
  10. Bubbles™
  11. Toobin™
  12. Wizard of Wor                                             Excellent list of games, not a bad or frankly even mediocre game among them.  Personally have always found Bubbles and RootBeer Tapper to be underrated.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

How can they not put Stargate on it?  You even have the extra button for 'Inviso'

Because 1) its defender 2, there is no stargate anymore,  2) maybe they didn't get the license for it

3) there's no demand for it

defender is super hard as it is, and stargate is near impossible to play.

later

27 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Because 1) its defender 2, there is no stargate anymore,  2) maybe they didn't get the license for it

3) there's no demand for it

defender is super hard as it is, and stargate is near impossible to play.

later

1) It is just as well known (if not more) as 'Stargate' than 'Defender II', so please don't split hairs.  If they called it either 'Stargate' or 'Defender II' in the list of games either way most people would still know what it is.

2) Regarding licensing, 'Defender' and 'Defender II' always used to be on the same compilations when it was Williams or Midway "Dreamcast Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits" or "Williams Arcade Hits", so I am surprised that they didn't get the licenses together (but of course it's always possible they tried).

3) ...But there's a demand for 'Toobin'?  I would bet that the demand for Stargate/Defender II would outweigh Toobin'.  There was even a 2600 port... and a 5200 port, even though that one never saw the light of day because of the crash...

Stargate/Defender II is exceptionally difficult, I'll give you that, but still fun...

Sinistar is just as difficult, but I'm sure a lot of people (including myself) would like to see that in some form as well.

My question was sort of tongue-in-cheek, and a little surprise.  There was no reason to get defensive.  I actually called out to you in the 7800 forum while I was working on porting Galaxian.  I know you are exceptionally good at that game so I believed if anyone could see how close it was to the arcade it would be you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

How can they not put Stargate on it?  You even have the extra button for 'Inviso'

Same reason there's no Robotron... they've gotta save something to make you want to buy it all again in a couple of years! ?

It would be nice if they started to put some hidden games on these cabs as Easter Eggs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, negative1 said:

here are the two versions for children:

paw patrol

https://arcade1up.com/products/arcade1up-jr-paw-patrol

arcade1upjr_pawpatrol_1000x1500_forshopi

pac man

https://arcade1up.com/products/arcade1up-jr-pac-man

arcade1upjr_pacman_1000x1500_forshopify_

later

Interesting.  Are these the same size (more or less) as a Moppet cabinet?

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

1) It is just as well known (if not more) as 'Stargate' than 'Defender II', so please don't split hairs.  If they called it either 'Stargate' or 'Defender II' in the list of games either way most people would still know what it is.

This is something that bothered me back in the day: I remember Stargate being the arcade sequel to Defender.  But, over time, Stargate was increasingly referred to as 'Defender II' on both the arcade and console / computer side.

It always struck me as being a marketing-driven decision: sure, the name 'Stargate' doesn't have a direct link to 'Defender' - but, by the same token, Defender's sequel was never called Defender II when it was released.  Thing is, this didn't confuse anyone who knew the arcade games, and it would have been more than possible to advertise the home versions with the real name and no confusion as to what it was.

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

3) ...But there's a demand for 'Toobin'?  I would bet that the demand for Stargate/Defender II would outweigh Toobin'.  There was even a 2600 port... and a 5200 port, even though that one never saw the light of day because of the crash...

Yeah, Toobin' wasn't a bad game by any means, but it never had the popularity of Defender (or, going out on a limb, Stargate).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

Same reason there's no Robotron... they've gotta save something to make you want to buy it all again in a couple of years! ?

It would be nice if they started to put some hidden games on these cabs as Easter Eggs.

Indeed, because otherwise Robotron would be my #1 "why is this not there??" game.  There HAS to be a Robotron 2084 / Smash TV / Total Carnage / possibly Sinistar / Blasteroids thing coming.

And then later at some stage, a Steering Yoke / Flight Yoke setup like Star Wars, but with Spy Hunter / Roadblasters / Vindicators / Hydro Thunder (lol jk just wishful thinking there!).  

Oh and as for Defender II / Stargate, yeah, I thought that was an odd exclusion.  Maybe it's in there as a hidden if you get a certain score in Defender?  Seems really silly to not be in the collection.

Oh and as for Toobin', well, it looks dumb but the play is FAR more addicting than most realize I would say.  I'm not saying it's in my top 50 arcade games or anything like that, but it is more than just worthwhile, it's very fun. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

2) Regarding licensing, 'Defender' and 'Defender II' always used to be on the same compilations when it was Williams or Midway "Dreamcast Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits" or "Williams Arcade Hits", so I am surprised that they didn't get the licenses together (but of course it's always possible they tried).

Stargate/Defender II is exceptionally difficult, I'll give you that, but still fun...

Sinistar is just as difficult, but I'm sure a lot of people (including myself) would like to see that in some form as well.

My question was sort of tongue-in-cheek, and a little surprise.  There was no reason to get defensive.  I actually called out to you in the 7800 forum while I was working on porting Galaxian.  I know you are exceptionally good at that game so I believed if anyone could see how close it was to the arcade it would be you.

didn't mean to be defensive. i was just putting out my opinion.

1) i prefer stargate, because thats what it was in the arcades, but they might have had problems later due to some name confusion

2) so far arcade 1up is using the main games in series, and not too many sequels depending on the title (although they do have some on their

atari titles)

3) stargate was harder, and less popular than defender, and they wanted a lot more diversity of titles. although a lot are hindered

by poor controls with only a joystick, like paperboy, or sinistar.

later

• Like 1

Galaga cab looks awesome, control panel layout is dumb. Why put the stick in the middle, and then the main buttons on the right side? Better to put the stick where it was in the gen 1 cab, or at least the main buttons on the left side or have ambidextrous buttons. The current layout makes the panel more cramped then it needs to be and with zero benefit. So close, yet so far.

Yeesh.. I was actually enthused about this until I saw the control panel. I'm very comfortable with the Defender arcade controls and was hoping they'd have at least approximated the standard "Multi-Williams" CPO, but alas.. it looks like the Mortal Kombat layout won the day.

I'm really not sure how well that would work with Defender. unless maybe you can customize it. e.g.  Can you at least thrust and fire with the 2nd players buttons? Hopefully...

6c96d36a-7945-4bbb-85cb-fd9d3d45e0ba.f04

Multi-Williams

IMG_0532.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vrock said:

$600 for Pong. That's bloody insane.

While I agree that the price is pretty eyebrow raising...just to be clear the game list includes 12 total:

"Easily assembled, in no time you’ll be bouncing with arcade nostalgia (no matter what decade you grew up in!), with the pioneering classic Pong™, as well as Pong Doubles™, Pong Sport ™, and Quadrapong™. Looking for more arcade action that makes use of the spin-tastic retro-controllers? You got it. Play away with Warlords™, Tempest™, SuperBreakout™, Circus Atari™, Destroyer™, Avalanche™, Major Havoc™, and Indy 500™, all included!"

• Like 1