Jump to content
Bill Loguidice

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Recommended Posts

I couldnt resist the Pong cabinet at $150 as well.  Adding a few more games would make it perfect.  Asteroids and Arkanoid would make it almost complete

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thanatos said:

Ben Heck posted this one recently, made me laugh, even though I have two.

 

Image

Sad thing is, this is probably 2030…

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

There hasn't been much hacking of the stock hardware to add games to most A1up releases - exceptions being the very first generation of four cabinets, and the pinball tables. Aside from those, most people fully replace the stock PCBs with Raspberry Pi 3+s and 4s, or PCs.

 

Yeah I got a 12-in-1 first, and then I got a Rampage.....I Pi-modded the Rampage and suddenly....it seemed kind of like the same thing as my combo Arcade/pinball machine (which cost me....a good amount...and it has, you know PINBALL) but it was not not nearly as good in any way. So I felt like I "ruined" the Rampage cab kind of, for no real gain, and ended up giving it to the IT guy at my work.

 

(I really got it as "Joust machine" and was considering skinning it as such, as I LOVE Joust...then I remembered arcade Joust totally sucks compared to the XE and 7800 version)

 

I kept the 12-in1 and still enjoy it because of the controls. I have to get a better spinner, but the penny mod made mine good enough to get plenty of play!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

 

Of course, this is all null and void if Arcade 1up plans on an 'Arkanoid' cabinet...  :ponder:

 

 

Arkanoid
Arkanoid 2: Revenge of Doh
Cameltry

 

Make it so!!!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The pad itself looks neat.

 

300x300.jpg?v=fc299cecbcd84513c160b37003

  • Arkanoid (1986) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Arkanoid Returns (1997) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Arkanoid: Revenge of DOH (1987) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Birdie King (1982) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Cameltry (1989) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Marine Date (1981) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Plump Pop (1987) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Puchi Carat (1997) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Strike Bowling (1982) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Syvalion (1988) - with the trackpad add-on
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goochman said:

I couldnt resist the Pong cabinet at $150 as well.  Adding a few more games would make it perfect.  Asteroids and Arkanoid would make it almost complete

 Asteroids would be terrible. There aren't enough buttons to play.

 

later

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

Arkanoid
Arkanoid 2: Revenge of Doh
Cameltry

 

Make it so!!!

I got the BerryBerrySneaky mod to my stock Asteroids cabinet, which added Arkanoid and Cameltry among a few others. Of course it doesn't have a vertical screen so Arkanoid is displayed slightly smaller than it would normally be, but in my experience that's not something I consciously register during gameplay. Cameltry is really cool - I'd never even heard of it before getting it on my cab.

 

2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

(I really got it as "Joust machine" and was considering skinning it as such, as I LOVE Joust...then I remembered arcade Joust totally sucks compared to the XE and 7800 version)

Really? I find that hard to believe! I'll have to try those versions some time. Joust really hinges on the tuning of the physics and every home version I've played (I haven't played them all admittedly) has changed the gravity and/or the power of your "flap." I kind of want to program my own version of Joust and expand upon it a bit, but I think the main challenge would be exactly matching the original physics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

(I really got it as "Joust machine" and was considering skinning it as such, as I LOVE Joust...then I remembered arcade Joust totally sucks compared to the XE and 7800 version)

Whaaaaat? I love the 7800 and Lynx versions but the arcade game is perfect in every way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Sad thing is, this is probably 2030…

I agree entirely goodwill etc will get loaded up with the A1up when the people get fed up with them, they're not small, limited, they're as much a fear of missing out, than a nostalgia hit many won't want to make long term space for.

 

My friend up in the northeast went on a crusade for these things one after another up to buying whatever largely appeared before they started to multiply in force with wifi and the works.  His newest I think were TMNT and NBA Jam when he loaded out largely his basement with them and realized it was a waste of space, effort, time, a lot of money even getting the deals he did, and for what...using maybe 15% of them with any consistency.  He's offloading them and making good coin off others who missed out, going to hack the turtles one with a Pi a friend will setup so he can have it all under basically one hood, then keep another 1-2 personal favorites.  I don't blame him.  I've dumped both my pins, a mini pin I had, and yesterday my icade cocktail went out...Neo Geo stays and all that out opened this room up nice.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Whaaaaat? I love the 7800 and Lynx versions but the arcade game is perfect in every way.

Don't make me derail the whole thread jg! 😆

 

XE and 7800 have PERFECT flap physics and gravity IMO. PERFECT. I can fly that lil' ostrich around like a goddamn missile out of a slingshot, and every action is repeatable and predictable--if something goes wrong, it is MY fault. The arcade game is, to me, akin to paddling a canoe upstream. All work, all the time. The flap sucks (too weak and too short duration) and the physics seem inconsistent and janky. IMO the only good thing about the arcade is that it generated the home versions.

 

(hell I'd take the 2600 or Coleco  versions over the arcade too!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zoyous said:

 

 

Really? I find that hard to believe! I'll have to try those versions some time. Joust really hinges on the tuning of the physics and every home version I've played (I haven't played them all admittedly) has changed the gravity and/or the power of your "flap." I kind of want to program my own version of Joust and expand upon it a bit, but I think the main challenge would be exactly matching the original physics.

So here's what it comes down to I guess...of course it's all preference and I don't mean to be TOO HARD on the arcade. Full disclosure....I never played the arcade as a the kid....but the XE version WAS "my game".

 

BTW...I have an open request in the7800 forum to mod 7800 Joust a la the Coleco prototype. That version has a menu with...."flap power" settings, and gravity too, I think. Kind of like your want!

 

Of course...the man that programs Joust 2 into a good game ON the 7800 will be my hero forever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I agree entirely goodwill etc will get loaded up with the A1up when the people get fed up with them, they're not small, limited, they're as much a fear of missing out, than a nostalgia hit many won't want to make long term space for.

Maybe so, but it's all just a bit of fun. Tattoos and children are more permanent types of fun - people aren't obliged to keep their games forever, and who's to say whether someone gets their money's worth other than the individual who spends it? Nostalgia is certainly a factor for many, but in most cases from a game design perspective these are solid games that are still fun in the here-and-now. I look at my collection of physical games and I can predict with some confidence that they'll one day fund some nice travels to other countries once I'm ready to tackle the logistics of selling them off. Most of these cabinets may eventually go the same way, but I think in the meantime they are not a bad way of passing the torch of classic arcade gaming on to a younger generation (perhaps paving the way for Arcade2up in another 30 years time). As for the space they take up, I get some additional value out of them as storage cabinets.

 

16 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

Of course...the man that programs Joust 2 into a good game ON the 7800 will be my hero forever.

I like the original Joust so much that I've actually been hesitant to even try Joust 2. I never saw it in the wild back in the day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I like the original Joust so much that I've actually been hesitant to even try Joust 2. I never saw it in the wild back in the day.

It won’t destroy your love of the original, but it won’t impress you either. It looks cool but plays poorly. You are much better off playing Pegasus and the Phantom Riders on the Tandy Color Computer, which does way better with flying horses than Joust 2; or Balloon Fight, which is a great love letter to Joust and has the best Joust spinoff ever as a bonus mode.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

...has the best Joust spinoff ever as a bonus mode.

Mancopter on the C-64 begs to differ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, jgkspsx said:

It won’t destroy your love of the original, but it won’t impress you either. It looks cool but plays poorly. You are much better off playing Pegasus and the Phantom Riders on the Tandy Color Computer, which does way better with flying horses than Joust 2; or Balloon Fight, which is a great love letter to Joust and has the best Joust spinoff ever as a bonus mode.

Love Pegasus on the CoCo! It was a great port.  Multiple zone backgrounds as you kept winning.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, negative1 said:

later

-1

 

Not to derail this thread, but… Iwata-san, you even ripped off Balloon Trip?!? Say it ain’t so…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I don't have a CoCo but that Pegasus game looks neat. I found a bit that says it was based on an earlier game called "Lancer" and that looks like a straight clone. I might have to figure out a way to check these out.

 

Not really the same at all but....Wing War on the intelly used to give me "what if Joust was a quest game" vibes.

 

Oh and to be somewhat on topic....I am looking forward to some Pong countercade action tomorrow AM. Kids are gonna get schooled....assuming I was a good boy and Santa delivered on time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Man I don't have a CoCo but that Pegasus game looks neat. I found a bit that says it was based on an earlier game called "Lancer" and that looks like a straight clone. I might have to figure out a way to check these out.

CoCo emulators are pretty good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Not really the same at all but....Wing War on the intelly used to give me "what if Joust was a quest game" vibes.

I had, have, and loved/love the ColecoVision version of Wing War (that's the one I think you meant as it was never officially released for the Intellivision (I *think* a homebrew version is in development), only ColecoVision, Atari 8-bit, Atari 2600 (PAL only, but pretty different from the other versions anyway), and TI-99/4a (not quite complete and never released)). The Joust mechanic is definitely one that's usable for multiple game types.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The Joust mechanic is definitely one that's usable for multiple game types.

Boy howdy! If you haven’t played Kirk Israel’s aka AlienBill’s FlapPing on the 2600 (original title: JoustPong), you should try it! It is also the only game on the AtariAge store I can take any credit for helping to ideate, way back in Usenet days :)

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I had, have, and loved/love the ColecoVision version of Wing War (that's the one I think you meant as it was never officially released for the Intellivision (I *think* a homebrew version is in development), only ColecoVision, Atari 8-bit, Atari 2600 (PAL only, but pretty different from the other versions anyway), and TI-99/4a (not quite complete and never released)). The Joust mechanic is definitely one that's usable for multiple game types.

Yes indeed Bill, Coleco. It's clearly been a while for me since I played it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...