IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

13 hours ago, Toaddio said:

I upgraded my original Centipede with a new spinner for Tempest. I wish I knew the quality of the spinners now. This new Centipede or the beautiful Tempest machine are both nice but the spinner was such absolute crap I’m afraid to upgrade. 

the spinners are improved now. they're decent.

my question is how good are you. because it won't make a difference when playing.

you never need to spin it fast to play tempest, because to get good at that game

you use very small rotations, or just sit in one place to shoot. thats the expert strategy.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, negative1 said:

the spinners are improved now. they're decent.

my question is how good are you. because it won't make a difference when playing.

you never need to spin it fast to play tempest, because to get good at that game

you use very small rotations, or just sit in one place to shoot. thats the expert strategy.

later

Good to hear. The original clicky one was just bad. I’m not a pro but also don’t want to be held back. The free flow spinner just helps with a quick dodge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

That Centipede is a legit upgrade (over the Tempest cab) if the monitor is vertical, which it appears to be.

Hmm, I could be wrong but I think the monitor is horizontal. It's just not immediately noticeable because a) Centipede has a completely black background, and b) 4:3 isn't hugely different from 3:4 (at least not as drastically different as, say 16:9 vs. 9:16).

Personally I am a bit disappointed that they went with a horizontal monitor, but I understand the reasoning - mainly, that Atari made many more horizontal games than vertical games. I still want to get the cab. Down the line it should be a fairly straightforward mod to rotate the monitor and replace the PCB with a Pi or PC.

I added an orange 4:3 outline to the image for reference:

centipede_4_3.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Hmm, I could be wrong but I think the monitor is horizontal. It's just not immediately noticeable because a) Centipede has a completely black background, and b) 4:3 isn't hugely different from 3:4 (at least not as drastically different as, say 16:9 vs. 9:16).

Personally I am a bit disappointed that they went with a horizontal monitor, but I understand the reasoning - mainly, that Atari made many more horizontal games than vertical games. I still want to get the cab. Down the line it should be a fairly straightforward mod to rotate the monitor and replace the PCB with a Pi or PC.

centipede_4_3.jpg

it is a horizontal screen.

which will make no difference to the vast majority of people that play.

later

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

it is a horizontal screen.

which will make no difference to the vast majority of people that play.

Yeah, but, like I said before, we need someone in a position there to advocate for the passionate minority of people who know and care about these things, not just be resigned to go along with what the vast majority of people doesn't know or care about. Know what I mean? On a forum like this, you have to expect there are people who will go over these things with a fine tooth comb.

In this case, it's just unfortunate because everything else about the cabinet is so close to being a faithful (scaled down) reproduction. Having said all that, I understand there are necessary compromises and this is a big overall improvement over their gen 1 Centipede. I'm not about "making perfect the enemy of good." This is a really cool cabinet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I really love the wifi leaderboards for Tron and I wish the Tempest cab had them. That said, I would still rather have the Tempest cab than the Centipede cab.

I think the Centipede cab has an improved button layout. Yeah, wifi leaderboards are nice.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zoyous said:

centipede_4_3.jpg

The one image from the profile view made it look vertical, but thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I don't have to concern myself on upgrading.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Yeah, but, like I said before, we need someone in a position there to advocate for the passionate minority of people who know and care about these things, not just be resigned to go along with what the vast majority of people doesn't know or care about. Know what I mean? On a forum like this, you have to expect there are people who will go over these things with a fine tooth comb.

i've gone over the releases from the first gen one, and it hasn't made one difference in the game play or releases.

when they put 4 games on 1 machine, sure make it vertical mostly

now they've got 14, and the minority (4) or so are vertical, so it makes no sense to make the screen that way.

why would i want to play all the rest of the games with a squashed aspect ratio

also tempest is a vector game, so scaling it works just as well, and that doesn't need to be vertical either.

i do care about the games, but have the partycades and countercades, so i've already got it in plenty of formats.

i doubt anyone here will be impacted by the screen aspect ratio, as the gameplay is identical.

i'm getting it for the leaderboards, and would like some competition.

i hope to max out the score on that, and put up a good millipede score too.

In this case, it's just unfortunate because everything else about the cabinet is so close to being a faithful (scaled down) reproduction. Having said all that, I understand there are necessary compromises and this is a big overall improvement over their gen 1 Centipede. I'm not about "making perfect the enemy of good." This is a really cool cabinet.

right, the benefits outweigh any complaints about the screen orientation.

just the mod the machine, if its thats important.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

A1up is running a special per my email, you get the PacMan Legacy for $315 if you buy another cab.  Mild chin scratch from me as I at least have a side eye on this one and the MK/ MKII Midway legacy cab...$765 for the two isn't a half bad deal really.

PAC-MAN'S BIRTHDAY IS SUNDAY MAY 22! Get 30% OFF this machine ($135 savings!), when you add it to your order of ANY other in stock stand up arcade cabinet, head-to-head, or pinball.

Discount reflected during checkout, limit of one bundle deal per order.
*Offer valid through Sunday, May 22nd end of day or while supplies last.

• Like 1

Just bought one of the Super Pacman Partycades for $110 at HSN. You need a $50 off code though. Sale ends I think Monday. They have Ms. Pacman too. 
https://www.hsn.com/products/arcade1up-ms-pac-man-partycade-with-10-games/

I REALLY like the list of games on the Defender 40th Anniversary cabinet, but I'm cheap & don't want to pay $400 for it. 
I kind of wish they'd do a Wizard of Wor theme cabinet, but I doubt the game is popular enough to do something like that. 

I currently own a Tempest/Atari Legacy cab and I'm pretty happy with it. The only slight bummer for me was not having the option to use the spinner to control Major Havoc on this particular cab. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, the4thman said:

Just bought one of the Super Pacman Partycades for $110 at HSN. You need a $50 off code though. Sale ends I think Monday. They have Ms. Pacman too. 
https://www.hsn.com/products/arcade1up-ms-pac-man-partycade-with-10-games/

I REALLY like the list of games on the Defender 40th Anniversary cabinet, but I'm cheap & don't want to pay $400 for it. 
I kind of wish they'd do a Wizard of Wor theme cabinet, but I doubt the game is popular enough to do something like that. 

I currently own a Tempest/Atari Legacy cab and I'm pretty happy with it. The only slight bummer for me was not having the option to use the spinner to control Major Havoc on this particular cab. 

How do you get a code? $110 is a steal. 

EDIT: Anyone know the screen size? It’s not listed on the HSN site. 

Edited by Toaddio

On 5/30/2022 at 4:23 PM, Toaddio said:

How do you get a code? $110 is a steal. 

EDIT: Anyone know the screen size? It’s not listed on the HSN site. 

They had a slickdeals website posting about this price about a month ago. I signed up as a first time customer, but didn't purchase at that time. It went on sale again & I had to use the coupon by 5/31 so I went for it. 

I'm not exactly sure, but in another Slickdeals forum thread someone said it was 17". I guess it was a good deal... just saw they were sold out. 

Still wouldn't mind a Defender partycade if they ever come back in stock. 

Got Outrun built. Quality seems noticeably worse than Tron; lots of scratches that I didn't do this time. The worst is that there are some debris particles, one of which is giant, suspended by static in the screen. I didn't notice them until two days later but now they are impossible to ignore.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Got Outrun built. Quality seems noticeably worse than Tron; lots of scratches that I didn't do this time. The worst is that there are some debris particles, one of which is giant, suspended by static in the screen. I didn't notice them until two days later but now they are impossible to ignore.

Hrumph, that is super frustrating!  I don't suppose you can return either all of it or the screen for a replacement?

Dig Dug and Joust incoming, will be getting both:

r/Arcade1Up - Dig dug

DIG DUG™

DIG DUG™ II

PAC-MAN™

PAC-MANIA™

PAC & PAL™

SUPER PAC-MAN™

PAC-MAN™ PLUS

PAC-LAND™

GALAGA™

GALAXIAN™