IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Arcade1up's official Facebook account is now claiming that retailers who are breaking the 10/16 street date are doing it wrong, and you will all wait, or something.

As they're supposed to and as the retailers are supposed to.

I went into my local Walmart earlier today and asked if they had them yet. They said no. One guy didn't know what it was, of course, but the other guy claimed they were going to set up the arcade machine area next week. Something about removing a section of movies to make room. We'll see how informed he really was.

As they're supposed to and as the retailers are supposed to.

I went into my local Walmart earlier today and asked if they had them yet. They said no. One guy didn't know what it was, of course, but the other guy claimed they were going to set up the arcade machine area next week. Something about removing a section of movies to make room. We'll see how informed he really was.

"supposed to" is kind of relative here. Arcade 1up set the street date, and took money for the pre-orders. They're supposed to deliver to people who bought their product, not delay it because they didn't account for demand.

Not sure what rules they play by here, but in my book, if I gave you money 4 months ago for something that was sold to me as being available on 9/25, and come 9/25 the stores have actual inventory available, but refuse to deliver it because they took more orders than they could fulfil, then it should be first come, first serve - in order or pre-order placement.

Also - they should have capped pre-orders at what they could physically deliver, period.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

When Arcade1up announced the release date had been pushed back from 9/25 they also said they were encouraging retailers to honor the pre-orders, whatever that means. By that I mean they didn't come out and say what date those pre-orders should be honored, it just muddied the waters more and wasn't very clear. I see that as passing the blame

Well now that 9/25 is here we have learned Gamestop is honoring their pre-order buyers, at least as best they can, and Walmart not so much. In some places Walmart sold early, before the original date. And now they won't sell on the date. It's all a game before the game. icon_smile.gif

• Like 1

When Arcade1up announced the release date had been pushed back from 9/25 they also said they were encouraging retailers to honor the pre-orders, whatever that means. By that I mean they didn't come out and say what date those pre-orders should be honored, it just muddied the waters more and wasn't very clear. I see that as passing the blame

Well now that 9/25 is here we have learned Gamestop is honoring their pre-order buyers, at least as best they can, and Walmart not so much. In some places Walmart sold early, before the original date. And now they won't sell on the date. It's all a game before the game. icon_smile.gif

and Arcade 1up is now saying that they don't want anyone selling before the revised 10/16 date.

kinda confusing. bad messaging.

• Like 1

so you think it is good that they delayed the street date, oversold and under delivered, and are now sending mixed messages about what the stores should do with limited inventory they did receive?

Not necessarily, but you complained about it in multiple messages already. I also appreciate that a lot of that is out of their control. Retailers mess stuff up all the time. I think I can cut them a little slack for a minor <1 month delay.

Not necessarily, but you complained about it in multiple messages already. I also appreciate that a lot of that is out of their control. Retailers mess stuff up all the time. I think I can cut them a little slack for a minor <1 month delay.

its a conversation, Bill. People comment back and forth. I was replying to posts that quoted or replied to me, and sharing the info that I read on their Facebook page. Nothing I posted was a complaint, just information I read. It just reads like a complaint because it is bad news for pre-buyers.

I really don't get why you care how many posts someone else makes that might be negative. Are you an investor in Arcade1up? Some of your posts sound like you have something at stake here if there's too much factual info posted about these.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

its a conversation, Bill. People comment back and forth. I was replying to posts that quotes me, and sharing the info that I read on their Facebook page. Nothing I posted was a complaint, just information I read. It just reads like a complaint because it is bad news for pre-buyers.

I really don't get why you care how many posts someone else makes that might be negative. Are you an investor in Arcade1up? Some of your posts sound like you have something at stake here if there's too much factual info posted about these.

No, no direct interest in Arcade1Up stuff other than as a gamer, person who has a pre-order in, and watching with interest as a prospective competitor. It just seems like all your posts are crapping on Arcade1Up for anything and everything with no nuance. I'm sure you know that already, though. And frankly, since you're anonymous, who knows who you are or what your agenda is. There is a clear pattern, though.

It seems Tastemakers recognizes there are problems with early wear-and-tear. They say it's covered under the three month warranty, and that they "are working on a more permanent solution".

From that thread, a floor demo unit that prompted the answers:

attachicon.gifDn6faqtU0AIpnsS.jpeg

That's crazy! I wonder if that's as simple as replacing the decal with a higher quality applique or there's something more at play (ahem) there?

No, no direct interest in Arcade1Up stuff other than as a gamer, person who has a pre-order in, and watching with interest as a prospective competitor. It just seems like all your posts are crapping on Arcade1Up for anything and everything with no nuance. I'm sure you know that already, though. And frankly, since you're anonymous, who knows who you are or what your agenda is. There is a clear pattern, though.

i think they are overpriced for what they are, and they have made more than a few fumbles in trying to get these to market. The only pattern you're seeing is the unedited thoughts of someone who doesn't like buying the kind of force-feed overpriced cheaply constructed junk that has flooded the retro gaming market in recent years. My agenda is merely to discuss this stuff as an adult, with honesty. I'm also not here telling other people they shouldn't post too much, or to tone down their honesty.
  • Like 1

Nah, he's complaining about something new this time. :lolblue: But a delay to the street date when stock is obviously ready for sale is rather annoying, can't argue with that.

It seems Tastemakers recognizes there are problems with early wear-and-tear. They say it's covered under the three month warranty, and that they "are working on a more permanent solution".

From that thread, a floor demo unit that prompted the answers:

attachicon.gifDn6faqtU0AIpnsS.jpeg

That looks kinda vintage-awesome to me. Just needs some cigarette burns to complete the look.

If the screws into the platform your controls are on for the device go deep enough, a really smart move would be like a very thin (I'm talking fragile unsecured) piece of cut plexiglass you just place over the controls space and screw it back down would be ideal. Sure that could wear over a long long time from hands on it, but I don't see any form of sticker taking that kind of beating for long which is a really stupid oversight ignoring decades of arcade cabinet design.

The Neo-Geo itself has what I'm talking about, it's very very thin with the CPO on top of the black painted metal platform it sits with the controls.

• Like 2

i think they are overpriced for what they are, and they have made more than a few fumbles in trying to get these to market. The only pattern you're seeing is the unedited thoughts of someone who doesn't like buying the kind of force-feed overpriced cheaply constructed junk that has flooded the retro gaming market in recent years. My agenda is merely to discuss this stuff as an adult, with honesty. I'm also not here telling other people they shouldn't post too much, or to tone down their honesty.

Which is why you see me clicking enough of yours with a like but kind of staying out of it, it would be a lot of repeating the same worries that popped up the more the date to release has come closer with more revealed about the things. Clearly some corners have been well cut more than others to hit that price point and it makes the unit look more shoddy than it really should. I was all on about considering that Capcom cabinet with the non-SF2 family on it, but now I just don't know if it's a smart choice. Unless they're going to argue with store cameras someone came along and put something on there and rubbed like mad to remove the ink off that atari art, they fouled up bad in an obvious wear space.

If the screws into the platform your controls are on for the device go deep enough, a really smart move would be like a very thin (I'm talking fragile unsecured) piece of cut plexiglass you just place over the controls space and screw it back down would be ideal. Sure that could wear over a long long time from hands on it, but I don't see any form of sticker taking that kind of beating for long which is a really stupid oversight ignoring decades of arcade cabinet design.

The Neo-Geo itself has what I'm talking about, it's very very thin with the CPO on top of the black painted metal platform it sits with the controls.

first thing I thought of when I saw the sticker wearing out. Cover it with 1/8th inch plexisheeting

Also.. here's the newest twitter thread abou tit.

https://twitter.com/arcade_1up/status/1044694117458956288

They are saying they didn't change the street date, the retailers did in order to get more stock in.

From that tweet...

"We didn't change the street date. We shipped to retailers on time (as you can see, because they have inventory in the store). The retailers asked for more time to build up more inventory (we are shipping continually) so they could fill all preorders AND have stock for stores."

I have a hard time believing that, that's like saying all the retailers selling these decided to push the street date. Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, Frys, FYE, Target, Bed,Bath, and Beyond. In tandem, all these guys decided to wait so they could fill all the pre-orders and have stock for a new street date? And they all agreed on a new, mid Oct. release? And Arcade1up had nothing to do with the change in street date?

Really? OK then. icon_winking.gif

• Like 2

Yeah, someone's full of crap. I went up against a half-dozen employees at Walmart this morning including the manager that it wasn't Arcade1Up that changed the date so it must be them.

Now, not so sure. They insisted they couldn't sell it but said if it rang up for sale I was free to purchase it, which of course it didn't.

Reading Facebook posts and Twitter tweets of Arcade1Up their story conflicts and contradicts itself on this matter.

first thing I thought of when I saw the sticker wearing out. Cover it with 1/8th inch plexisheeting

I was thinking the same kind of thing. One of my Neo Gold cabs had that over the CPO.

I can see a whole aftermarket for the 1Up cabs "CPO Protectors" just like the screen protector market.

• Like 1