IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

a very detailed look at the CPU and PCB:

maybe it's related to the pandoras box,

and it's not possible to add an SD card yet.

another interesting note, tempest has optional

button control to move left and right.. hmm

wonder why:

https://youtu.be/wjE2-sp31wY?t=3m20s

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

An Allwinner A13 cpu similar to a pandora's box. I wonder if it's possible to attach a computer keyboard.

Not having a spinner controller I've gotten use to playing tempest with buttons. It works well as long as you have the speed turned up. I haven't seen anyone comment about the tempest spinner sensitivity being adjusted properly. If it's not there's no easy way to change it.

The other thing I wonder is if Lunar Lander has thrust mapped to the spinner. Mame doesn't by default but it would make it much easier to control. Also, did they map the Lunar Lander game select button, and a display indicator of the game selected. Maybe few people care about Lunar Lander like I do.

Edited by mr_me

Just as the Mullet man had hoped eh??? :D

y5sBRbi.gif

Nah.

I don't wish that one anyone, and legitimately hoped these things would be as good as, or exceeding expectations. (I'm still on the fence, and if I like what I see in person I may still pick up the Centipede cab.)

My curse is that I'm a natural pessimist, borne out of many, many past experiences with diminishing returns where retail video game products are concerned. I was an Atari aged kid who got his first system the year before the great crash of '84. Gaming and disappointment are like peas and carrots etched in my memory. The current retrogaming nice market in particular seems to be taking that mantle to heart and making it a mainstay.

I think a lot of people on here had some real, genuine excitement for what they WANTED these to be. When they get upset at me for reminding them to temper their expectations, I wonder what they are seeing that I am not, or more accurately what they are not seeing that is readily apparent.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

Shot:

which explains exactly what I described earlier. The target market for these is people who have disposable income, no impulse control, and who lack the knowledge to understand they are getting taken.

Chaser:

I think a lot of people on here had some real, genuine excitement for what they WANTED these to be. When they get upset at me for reminding them to temper their expectations, I wonder what they are seeing that I am not, or more accurately what they are not seeing that is readily apparent.

Yep, it's completely because you were "reminding them to temper their expectations" and nothing to do with condescension, being repetitive, latching onto anything remotely negative, and blaming every single thing on Arcade1up--not even entertaining other possibilities.

• Like 1

Watching the reviews pop up on Youboob, and it seems like some of these are shipping with dents/smudges on the cabient, and dead pixels on the LCD.

That's a bummer.

Agree its a bummer.

I think this is to be expected with any initial launch of a product, there are always "issues" of one type or another, and I'm I'm sure we've all had experience with things like this in the past.

I myself lost my first Xbox 360 launch edition to the RROD issue, and my Galxy S7 Edge suffered from the "pink line" defect (I'm sure there were others, but these are the recent ones that stick out).

Having seen the boxes in person, I have to say I am leery of having these shipped to my house. The Centipede cab I had in my cart Tuesday was one of two, and the other box was in pretty bad shape. And these were shipped to the store - can you imagine USPS getting their hands on these?

I would prefer to pick mine out and up in person, but with the material they are using I can see one good ding causing damage somewhere (I have not watched any unboxing videos so I do not know how good the packaging is protecting them in the box).

Dead pixels? That sucks, but again, we've seen this with other products before when launched.

So it may pay to actually wait on these cabs until they iron out the issues, or suck it up and deal with replacing parts under warranty.

• Like 1

blaming every single thing on Arcade1up--not even entertaining other possibilities.

Other possibilities? Not sure I'm following you here.

If the cheap vinyl decals they used on the control panels are wearing off within a few hours of use - it's someone other than Arcade1Up's fault?

If the units are being shipped with cracked, chipped and dented cabinet components, shipped inside styrofoam and cardboard packaging that isn't damaged from the outside - it's something other than poor quality control at their factory?

Dead pixels aren't Arcade1up's fault?

Granted, the street date/availability issues are a problem between them and the retailers - but still not a great look.

As for the other stuff you quoted yes - I readily admit, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would go running out money in hand to buy something this expensive, sight unseen, that is now making a not-so-great showing with it's release when the warning signs have been there all along. I think some people here are buying an idea of what they wanted these to be, even though they now know it's probably not going to deliver on it, and digging their heels in to defend that decision when anyone points out that things aren't perfect.

Some people will be able to justify the problems to themselves to feel better about their purchase. Others will be disappointed. Such is life.

Other possibilities? Not sure I'm following you here.

I like how you went negative again. Well done, and thank you for making my point. I was talking of the assertion that Arcade1up is completely responsible for retailers not ordering enough units or any other "messaging" issue you continue to bring up.

I like how you went negative again. Well done, and thank you for making my point. I was talking of the assertion that Arcade1up is completely responsible for retailers not ordering enough units or any other "messaging" issue you continue to bring up.

i did not "go negative". I posted facts. If the facts about a product are negative, then people will tend to question the validity of that product.

I don't need to "go positive", because being a good product that is worth the money spent, and delivers what they are marketing is exactly what they are supposed to do. You're not supposed expect a lackluster product. It's not normal to expect something to be low quality or poorly planned.

• Like 1

So are these in stores or what.. I'm confused. :lol: I'm travelling this whole week but I come back home tomorrow and wondering if I can hop to Gamestop and snag a Centipede or not. :P

Yeah, we're all confused with you. AFAIK no, you can't walk into GameStop and pick one up, the only orders they filled were pre-orders that were either shipped to customers or in store pickup.

Now, find one of those Walmarts with them out on the floor and who knows. The one by me wouldn't let me buy it, but you might get lucky.

There are at least 5-10 full unboxings on youtube (sped up), and another

10-15 gameplay videos.

SF2 seems to be the favorite cabinet.

I've seen a few Rampage ones, and the occasional Centipede one.

NOBODY seems to like the asteroids cabinet, or at least they don't post they do.

=========================

Tons of problems and issues on the facebook page.

But Arcade 1up is trying to answer everyone, and provide support, but seem to

be overwhelmed by it.

They're having a hard time keeping up with the problems.

Hopefully, they can get them straightened out.

=========================

It appears to be a 50/50 split of people happy and mad with the product.

Or maybe that's only people that post or youtube videos.

There's a lot of clueless people that don't know:

-----------------

1 CRT VS LCD - they seem to think the picture is pixellated, because the original had scanlines

2 The sound is off in SF2, due to it being MONO, and not stereo

3 Not knowing that Gauntlet is only 2 player, because it has a 2 player rom, it never supported 3 player.

4 People not understanding the controls, which buttons do what, or even how to play the games properly.

I have yet to see someone thats actually any good at these games post a video, not one single playthrough,

or sign of an actual player yet.

Unfortunately, due to the shipping delays, lost packages, questions about the control panel graphics wearing out,

and just lackluster controls, and the odd dead pixel, there's a lot of confusion.

Yes, $300 is not much for some people, but for others, it's expensive, and they expect better, I know i would.

The people that are collectors, or bought it for kids, or won't play very often are happy.

The picky, OCD types, will complain no matter what, because that's what they do.

======================

The only knowledgeable person, that's going to mod it, with the Pandoras box, and show how to connect a PI

to it, seems to be the only one that has an actual idea about the system, and will be the one I will watch

to see what future developments can be done to.

Also, waiting to see if people mod the controls, and put up videos. Especially for the spinner and trackball

because those seem to be the worst off.

If that can be done, then the Atari deluxe cabinet will be the best one to mod, and it won't have control

panel graphics wearing off issues either.

later

Edited by negative1

the discussion for modding is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/9iytkr/modding_thread/

looks like people are looking into this connector:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-LCD-Lvds-Controller-Converter-Driver-Monitor-Kit-for-M170ETN01-1/113004332826?hash=item1a4f95471a:g:mAoAAOSwSnFZnBfs

s-l500.jpg]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mAoAAOSwSnFZnBfs/s-l500.jpg]

which is a controller, converter for the monitor inside the cabinet.

from there, you can work on trying out pandoras box, or raspberry pi.

stay tuned..........

later

Edited by negative1