IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I pre-ordered the Asteroids one. At that price, it seemed like a no-brainer.

As for hacking these, I don't really see the need myself. I don't need another do everything device. I'm good with a curated selection of games targeted to the control panel that's present. This isn't thousands of bucks we're talking about here.

Awesome! I'll definitely be looking forward to reading your review of it. If they're built well and still available around the holiday season I might have to take the plunge on the Centipede one, simply because I love all 4 games on it and with trackball controlled games like those it's really hard to replicate the real arcade game experience at home; especially for $300.

Yeah.. obviously there's nothing special about most of these.. so throwing aside any 'emulation' vs. real thing, debates. Just looking at these on their own merits fully knowing what they are: The Centipede/Missile Command/Millipede/CC looks kind of nice. Having a good trackball control is a bit of a pain to DIY, so if they have that tweaked nicely with a good quality control panel, I think that cabinet might be kinda cool to have for those who dig those games.. I'm also semi intriqued about the "vector" one.. obviously it wouldn't have a vector monitor so is Asteroids still going to have the same shitty "tiny pale pellets" for shots as usual? Or did they do something to compensate and make it more closely to the real thing. Looks like they put in a spinner for tempest & Major Havoc so that might be cool.

Edited by NE146

It's good to hear that people like what they've seen so far. I'm happy to wait for review, because even a small arcade machine would be big in my little house.

I struggled with which one to get. I REALLY wish this spinner Asteroids unit had like Breakout or something in it. For whatever reason, they chose to stick that on the Centipede paddle cabinet. Ugh.

The Centipede side art is pretty spectacular, but I would have gone with Asteroids and the spinner too. I noticed that Walmart is pre-selling a Midway set, too. It has Joust and Defender onboard, but they went with RAMPAGE on the outside. That's ?!?!?!?! not the choice I would have made ... though I guess they know what sells? :-(

Awesome! I'll definitely be looking forward to reading your review of it. If they're built well and still available around the holiday season I might have to take the plunge on the Centipede one, simply because I love all 4 games on it and with trackball controlled games like those it's really hard to replicate the real arcade game experience at home; especially for $300.

Well, the regular price is $400. With that said, I have it on good authority that there are going to be hundreds of thousands of units in the retail chain, so there shouldn't be an issue with getting one, and certainly there should be regular sales/discounts (clearly $300 is at least something of a viable price point).

• Like 1

Yeah.. obviously there's nothing special about most of these.. so throwing aside any 'emulation' vs. real thing, debates. Just looking at these on their own merits fully knowing what they are: The Centipede/Missile Command/Millipede/CC looks kind of nice. Having a good trackball control is a bit of a pain to DIY, so if they have that tweaked nicely with a good quality control panel, I think that cabinet might be kinda cool to have for those who dig those games.. I'm also semi intriqued about the "vector" one.. obviously it wouldn't have a vector monitor so is Asteroids still going to have the same shitty "tiny pale pellets" for shots as usual? Or did they do something to compensate and make it more closely to the real thing. Looks like they put in a spinner for tempest & Major Havoc so that might be cool.

I plan on using that spinner for Asteroids and Lunar Lander as well. I always thought that would have been good options for those games.

• Like 1

I pre-ordered the Asteroids one. At that price, it seemed like a no-brainer.

As for hacking these, I don't really see the need myself. I don't need another do everything device. I'm good with a curated selection of games targeted to the control panel that's present. This isn't thousands of bucks we're talking about here.

Bill did Walmart charge you upfront for the pre-order upon checkout?

Just trying to figure out if I'm going to get billed for these right away or not.

Bill did Walmart charge you upfront for the pre-order upon checkout?

Just trying to figure out if I'm going to get billed for these right away or not.

I used Paypal and appear to have been charged upfront. Basically the 299.99 plus tax.

I've been following the progress on these as well, and they seem pretty cool, especially for the money! The SFII and Final Fight cabs look sweet! Actually, they ALL do! I wish I had the room for one. I still don't really have the room for my Galaxian/Galaga cocktail machine which hangs out in my basement.

That reminds me, I have a Galaxian/Galaga cocktail machine in my basement I should probably fix up. :lol:

i would be interested in the centipede ones, and the others look good too.

however, the controls for the other games on the systems looks terrible...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strike:

----------

the asteroids one - the spinner is on the right, so playing tempest would be hard for me.

would have to redrill a hole, and move it, same for major havoc.....

the centipede one - doesn't have a centered trackball, so it's hard to play any of the games.

the buttons are all wrong for missile command, and it would be hard to play millipede, and same

with jumping for crystal castles.

the rampage one is the worst though:

-----------------------------------------------------

d9563be2-142e-4233-9623-2e6d3fe4323a_15.

how in the world are you supposed to play defender, or stargate with the buttons all over the place.

the other joysticks are in the way.

also, for joust, it would be weird playing them with 4 way stick, i'm sure they could be restricted.

and finally, forget about playing 4 player gauntlet (yes it would be crowded), but the fact is

you don't even have that option, only 3 player.

================

i forsee a lot of people changing these up, modding the controls, the cabinets, etc.

sounds like a good deal for the price, for casual players, and semi hobbyists. but for more discerning people,

some work will have to be done to them.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

It's kind of funny to me that the first reaction around here from some people with these types of things is always mod, mod, mod, rather than wanting the product (or not) on its own merits as-is. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this DIY everything mentality... I just want something like this that works without me having to put in any extra effort or worry about something not working right. Plug and play, you know?

Really, it comes down to how spoiled we all are, in a good way. As kids, we would have killed to have a half dozen emulated arcade games in a package like this. Instead, we lament the fact that there's not more games. No, not dozens, not hundreds, but thousands, even if we won't even play half of them or that we already don't have a dozen other devices that can do exactly that.

Not necessarily a rant, just an observation...

• Like 2

I totally get that ...

LESS is a virtue

I'm trying to curate more, collect less

speaking of which, when I showed this to my spouse, I got this back ...

I think a tabletop Ms. PacMan/Galaga downstairs makes a lot of sense, though.

Sounds like blanket approval to acquire/make a cocktail table, yes?

It's kind of funny to me that the first reaction around here from some people with these types of things is always mod, mod, mod, rather than wanting the product (or not) on its own merits as-is. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this DIY everything mentality... I just want something like this that works without me having to put in any extra effort or worry about something not working right. Plug and play, you know?

Really, it comes down to how spoiled we all are, in a good way. As kids, we would have killed to have a half dozen emulated arcade games in a package like this. Instead, we lament the fact that there's not more games. No, not dozens, not hundreds, but thousands, even if we won't even play half of them or that we already don't have a dozen other devices that can do exactly that.

Not necessarily a rant, just an observation...

I'm right there with you Bill - I want it "as-is" working out of the box, with the only finger lifting being playing the game.

Hey, don't get me wrong - kudos to anybody that has the time and energy to put into Burger King-in' it but I just want to play it like it is.

Probably the biggest motivation from moving away from PC gaming and back to console gaming years ago for me was I just got tired of having to mod and upgrade my computer all the time just to play the latest games.

I think these things look cool enough as is and for the price I know we'll enjoy them.

• Like 1

Just realized the Final Fight cab is missing from Walmart, but the Galaga/Galaxian is listed as a "Walmart Exclusive", so thats six cabs so far, I wonder if there are any other exclusive cabs being offered by other merchants?

Oh and FYI Gamestop also has these at $299 but no free shipping.

I can understand the plug-and-play appeal. At the same time, I think these would be great fun to mod! At this price you're already right in the ballpark if you were going to build a cabinet from scratch. If you're not so handy with woodworking this would be great to look at as a kit that you can modify. Mainly I think it's just great that the market is robust enough right now for something like this to be viable. Who knows how long that will remain the case. Hopefully these are successful and we see even more cabinets in the coming years.

Personally instead of adding a riser to it I'd consider modding it to make the existing base removable for a nice tabletop cabinet.

The issue to me is the illogical inclusion of games that clearly don't work for the given provided control schemes (the Rampage cabinet is perfect example). It might be an "OK" buy for someone that really just wants that one game that the provided controls are clearly intended for, but for people that want the other games to control well too, it seems like a waste of cash. I mean, is a well thought out product that much to ask for? This seems like someone said, "Hey, let's make mini arcade machines with some games and charge $400 for them," but forgot to consider that part about, well, you know... how the games will actually play.

• Like 1

Just realized the Final Fight cab is missing from Walmart, but the Galaga/Galaxian is listed as a "Walmart Exclusive", so thats six cabs so far, I wonder if there are any other exclusive cabs being offered by other merchants?

Oh and FYI Gamestop also has these at $299 but no free shipping.

the galaga machine actually looks playable (although, i'm not a fan of galaxian):

8a8536c3-1fc0-4ed2-a742-f9369557d74d_1.c

As far as the others go, some of them aren't very playable even if they are they main game, like centipede.

which is the one that looked interesting.

also, there is some assembly required anyways, so it's not like you just plug it in:

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

It's hard to get the perfect combination of cabinet configuration and available games. In that sense, this is a great market to work, because the customers have a strong desire for something that can never be perfectly satisfied.

It would be cool if one of these manufacturers made a line of four or five different cabinets, each with a few artwork options, and then sold cartridges of single games or small collections of games. It would be like attaching a vacuum hose directly to people's wallets.

For anybody that might be on the fence money wise you won't get billed until it ships with Walmart.

So you can order now and wait until September to have to pay for it (this is for credit card payment).

I picked up the Centipede and Rampage cabs, and will keep my eye out for the Final Fight as well.

I ordered the Galaga/Galaxian cab yesterday, should be here Wednesday (it's the only one in-channel already per Wal-Mart).

Will do detailed photos and as much analysis as I can without actually breaking anything.

Note that even though you can get this one now, the risers won't be available until September.

• Like 1

For anybody that might be on the fence money wise you won't get billed until it ships with Walmart.

So you can order now and wait until September to have to pay for it (this is for credit card payment).

I picked up the Centipede and Rampage cabs, and will keep my eye out for the Final Fight as well.

I used paypal with walmart and it already charged and took the money.