IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

In regards to Crystal Castles having only 1 player, despite being a two player game, I got this email response back from the company: "We do apologize but unfortunatly, the way the game came to us, due to lisencing it is only a 1 player game.[/size]"

Thanks Bill,

that's a crazy answer. What the heck. Its NEVER been a 1 player game, it's always been 2 player.

I call that a made up baloney answer.

And whats up with the 2 misspelled words, seriously? They couldn't spellcheck a one sentence reply.

Oh brother.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

Thanks Bill,

that's a crazy answer. What the heck. Its NEVER been a 1 player game, it's always been 2 player.

I call that a made up baloney answer.

And whats up with the 2 misspelled words, seriously? They couldn't spellcheck a one sentence reply.

Oh brother.

later

I agree it sounds made up. Probably so they don't have to replace more motherboards like they had to with the Rampage ones (for Gauntlet).

I agree it sounds made up. Probably so they don't have to replace more motherboards like they had to with the Rampage ones (for Gauntlet).

Which is still broken, by the way (Gauntlet). I emailed them and they said they would pass it on to their engineers. Suprised more people haven't complained about the replacement PCB but maybe people don't like playing as the Elf or Wizard?

Ugh, how is that compensation? Unless I win, of course.

It's unclear, maybe there are still some in stores.

maybe people bought whats out there.

hard to say, maybe some stores pulled out all their units. who knows.

anyways, if you want one, now is the time to check.

-----------

in other news, a guy found a non-working street fighter 2 arcade 1up unit at a goodwill

for $19.99, took it home and fixed it up. (picture has a sticker of price tag, and reflection of store)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a1setc/jackpot_i_found_one_at_a_goodwill_outlet_of_all/

later

Edited by negative1

So, this still looks like the prototype, but this australian seller is taking preorders.

I think it will probably look like the final mortal kombat machine:

https://www.goeasyonline.com.au/arcade-one-mortal-kombat-II-at-home-real-arcade-system?search=Arcade%20&description=true&fbclid=IwAR1-0xhnMfOMlQo5q85K5VhTmcU_jKUVP9hVrQrMZp112oXegzWm1Jr9iQ4

6022434-800x800.jpg

later

another excellent mod from ETA Prime, this time pandora's box:

later

I got a Pandora's Box about a year ago. I wasn't that impressed with it. Too many games, giving decision paralysis, iffy controls, iffy play. If A1U machines are the definition of below average, then the PBs are definitely a cut below that. However I've felt for a while now that modding these cheap cabs would be the biggest thing for them. So the more mods, the better

On that note, here's someone making a 4 player A1U cab:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a1zihj/custom_4_player_20_screen_mod/

https://imgur.com/a/8wWF1IH

Now you could ask why someone would bother when you can make a better one from scratch for about the same amount of work? It's the artwork. A full cab artwork wrap will usually cost you $200+ and then you still have to apply it. A home built cab without the artwork really just ends up being a stupid small box without any nostalgia feel at all (at least that's how it is to me)

Now for how cheap these things are going...:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a22ccz/i_think_walmart_clearance_cabinets_are_in_our/

A few Walmart locations are blowing out the Galaga & Pacman machines for as little as $75 to free up warehouse space (you can also see this on BrickSeek)

Edited by twalk
  • Like 2

So, this still looks like the prototype, but this australian seller is taking preorders.

https://www.goeasyonline.com.au/arcade-one-mortal-kombat-II-at-home-real-arcade-system?search=Arcade%20&description=true&fbclid=IwAR1-0xhnMfOMlQo5q85K5VhTmcU_jKUVP9hVrQrMZp112oXegzWm1Jr9iQ4

6022434-800x800.jpg

later

Really interesting. Looks like they've got 6 different ones:

https://www.goeasyonline.com.au/index.php?route=product/search&search=arcade%20one&description=true

Based off of the shipping box picture they give, I'd say that this is Tastemakers. Looking at the control panels, if those are actually what they'll end up with, I'd say they still haven't learned a thing. The screen looks bigger in the cab, 19"?

6022434-800x800.jpg

later

My full mk2 cab (with UMK3 in it, run button added) was $500 lol. I think all told, $900 for MK1, MKII, UMKIII boards + a full cab.

• Like 1

My full mk2 cab (with UMK3 in it, run button added) was $500 lol. I think all told, $900 for MK1, MKII, UMKIII boards + a full cab.

i wouldn't put too much stock in early screenshots.

every single one of them were photoshopped, along with

the screen images not being actual ones.

it could be bigger, but a guess in a couple of months we'll find out.

later

• Like 1

Really interesting. Looks like they've got 6 different ones:

https://www.goeasyonline.com.au/index.php?route=product/search&search=arcade%20one&description=true

Based off of the shipping box picture they give, I'd say that this is Tastemakers. Looking at the control panels, if those are actually what they'll end up with, I'd say they still haven't learned a thing. The screen looks bigger in the cab, 19"?

Oh, come on, these are just someone's really crap Photoshop work, that's all.

walks around the arcade...

'theres a killscreen coming up'...... oops, wrong movie/game..

i meant there's a pacman killscreen coming up:

hit 3.1 million and got to it.

ACHIEVEMENT Unlocked : Pac-Man Killscreen

(Still have to do pac-man plus)

game : arcade 1up pac-man

score : 3,155,560

notes : lost 1 man at 1.9 million due to answering phone call

pattern : held up , but messed up 9th key about 6 times and recovered 5 times

started a 2 player game, because i was messing around, didn't think

i would actually make it all the way

pac-split1sa2.jpg

---------------

i still don't know the split-screen pattern.

the fruits get corrupted, and split halfway into keys.

the next game you start, has a corrupted cherry fruit

also, but gets fixed by strawberry.

i have more videos, and ghost glitches coming up.

later

• Like 3

That Space Invaders looks awesome, oh, and very nice score on Pac-Man. Which pattern(s) do you use to get such a high score?

i usually wing it on the cherry and strawberry board, and sometimes i die right there, and restart.

for orange, i use a pseudo pattern that is similar to the apple pattern.

for apple to 8th key :

for 9th key - 255th key: stacked, but modified at the end,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VccixOU6AF

i will have some updated gameplay and ghost glitch videos under my

newer youtube username.

timing is exactly the same, although due to the taller joystick,

it throws off my wrists and movements, so you need to get used

to it.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

Got to play one of these at the local Wal-Mart today. They had the Galaga / Galaxian 2-in-1 and the Centipede / Missile Command / Crystal Castles / Millipede 4-in-1 set up; I went with the Galaga / Galaxian unit largely because it was sitting on the optional pedestal, and looked as though it would be more comfortable to play due to the extra height.

Well, I was probably right about that part. But the play experience itself was underwhelming to say the least.

Before I say anything else, note that I have no expectations of a flat-pack game cabinet sold in Wal-Mart to have the same feel as one that was made specifically for arcade use in, say, 1982. That would just be unrealistic.

However, the build quality of these things does not exactly ooze quality. While they were screwed together well enough by whoever was responsible for setting up the display, the two main downsides were the controls (which lacked a sense of precision, and really says something for a cabinet equipped with a 2-way stick) and the weight of the cabinets themselves (which made them feel flimsier than they probably were).

How much of this may be down to 10,000 people a day playing these things when they were never designed to be on location is debatable. Sitting in the corner of a kid's room somewhere, they'd probably hold up much better. But what kid these days is going to want to play Galaga when their phone, tablet, or other device has a billion gaming apps available for it?

About the best thing I can say for these is that they'll turn up at Goodwill, cheap, in a few months, and will likely save a few classic cabinets that would have had x-in-1 conversions perpetrated on them. But at $249 apiece ($299 with the pedestal), there just isn't any real value there compared to what you end up with.

• Like 1

How much of this may be down to 10,000 people a day playing these things when they were never designed to be on location is debatable. Sitting in the corner of a kid's room somewhere, they'd probably hold up much better. But what kid these days is going to want to play Galaga when their phone, tablet, or other device has a billion gaming apps available for it?

About the best thing I can say for these is that they'll turn up at Goodwill, cheap, in a few months, and will likely save a few classic cabinets that would have had x-in-1 conversions perpetrated on them. But at $249 apiece ($299 with the pedestal), there just isn't any real value there compared to what you end up with.

i agree with your sentiments.

but with the impending price drops to near $150 or possibly lower, don't you think they're worth that.

also, i can't find any playable units at any walmarts, despite going to at least 10 different ones nows.

i take that back, i found one with an asteroids. but who exactly is playing these things, are there

really tons of kids or adults waiting in lines to play them day and night? maybe its the workers,

who knows.

i find it hard to believe that there's that much of a demand to play these things, and create

the issues on the control panel. yes, they're defective, but maybe it's just a few people

messing them up after a short time. i just can't imagine tons of people playing these

things, because they have nothing better to do.

later

i agree with your sentiments.

but with the impending price drops to near $150 or possibly lower, don't you think they're worth that.

Someone else would need to evaluate where the sweet spot on pricing is for themselves - I can't convince myself that even at $99 these are something I'd want to pick up.

Then again, I've also owned a ridiculous number of actual arcade cabinets over the years, and currently have two that suit my needs very well. But this is where I say that someone else would need to figure out what these are actually worth to them: I'm really not the target market for these.

also, i can't find any playable units at any walmarts, despite going to at least 10 different ones nows.

These weren't set up when I was in there on Thursday, but were when I was back in there this afternoon. The cabinets were set up back-to-back in the middle of one of the wider aisles near the Electronics section, similar to how the vats of $5 DVDs are usually placed.

i take that back, i found one with an asteroids. but who exactly is playing these things, are there

really tons of kids or adults waiting in lines to play them day and night? maybe its the workers,

who knows.

We're in a college town. My gut feeling is that it's going to be a mix of local parents with younger kids in tow, as well as students buying beer. These are my assumptions based on who I usually see at the Redbox; the Arcade 1UP cabinets likely have a similar draw, though more out of novelty value than anything else. Probably not a lot of repeat foot traffic heading to them.

i find it hard to believe that there's that much of a demand to play these things, and create

the issues on the control panel. yes, they're defective, but maybe it's just a few people

messing them up after a short time. i just can't imagine tons of people playing these

things, because they have nothing better to do.

I don't either, but given that one of the videos on Arcade 1Up's assembly page specifically deals with joystick replacement, this suggests to me that they're not expecting a great deal of longevity from the components. Not arguing that it shouldn't be documented for future reference, but that's the sort of thing that leaves me wondering what sort of life expectancy they're thinking the controls will have.

At $100 I'd probably be interested in the SF2 model just because those games have enough variation to them to outlast the simple point grinders, though I still wonder about the Capcom Final Fight one to come, and the loss of the one that would have had SF2+FF and more on the same. I've used the things a couple times now and they're just not very precise in games that really demand it unfortunately.