IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I'm going to forward a link to the confirmation from Deadmoon's page as well as your potential fix to them and see what they say. Can you point me to where that stereo down-mix fix was originally posted? I can forward that to them as well.

I've asked for a supervisor at 1Up to call me back to go over my various tickets and find out where my replacement parts are, I will bring this issue to her attention as well.

On a side note the return label they sent is supposedly for me to ship back my Pac-Man control deck which was damaged and they are supposed to replace - I was kind of taken aback and prodded the representative with "you want it back after you ship me a replacement, r - i - g - h - t - ???

They can't seriously expect me to pull the control deck and wait 2 months for a replacement. But, this is the kind of stuff I plan to talk to the supervisor about, so we'll see how things go.

i've sent you a PM, with links to details, timelines, and issues listed.

good luck, and keep us posted on any responses.

later

On a side note the return label they sent is supposedly for me to ship back my Pac-Man control deck which was damaged and they are supposed to replace - I was kind of taken aback and prodded the representative with "you want it back after you ship me a replacement, r - i - g - h - t - ???

I've never heard of them ever asking for anything to be shipped back. It definitely didn't happen to me

• Like 1

I've never heard of them ever asking for anything to be shipped back. It definitely didn't happen to me

Me neither, until now. My guess is it depends on what they are replacing, as was this case...

By friend had to call to get a replacement monitor for his 12 in 1. They're also making him ship the old one back, albeit after he receives the new one.

Makes sense, its a monitor after all, probably the largest expense next to the PCB and control panel. I found out its my Pac-Man control panel they want back (yes, after they ship and I receive the new one), but most likely they'll want my Centipede as well, as thats on my parts list and they both have physical damage. I found this out (Pac-Man return) when I...

i've sent you a PM, with links to details, timelines, and issues listed.

good luck, and keep us posted on any responses.

later

Thanks for that negative1, I forwarded this on the 1Up as well. Good news all around I think, as I spoke with a Supervisor (one of two people listed on the pre-paid return label they sent me) yesterday who returned my call after I requested one (supervisor) call me. She had this to say:

1. 1Up got pallets in with replacement parts, so lots of stuff should be going out to people who have been waiting shortly. I believe this should include the deck protectors which they seem to have run out of (to date, none of the 5 I ordered got shipped to me). Lo and behold, I got UPS notifications of 5 packages on their way to me for next week from Cokem International, so thats a good sign (they're not all deck protectors as some were over 10 lbs, most likely control decks and other stuff).

2. They are aware of the Liberator issue, she mentioned this to me when we went over my parts list for the 12-in-1 (I only need side panels, deck protector and new PCB) but she does not have any updated information. She is waiting to find out what decision 1Up or Tastemakers has made or is going to make, and if it can be fixed (sorry, didn't get this issue straighter, I was at work and it was hard to hear her). So another good sign, I hope.

3. She was not aware of the new Gauntlet issue, she thanked me for updating her on it, I gave her the ticket number 1Up assigned to this issue when I emailed them, I mentioned the problem and the fixes you referenced (the stereo to mono problem etc.) and told her to read the emails I sent on it which she said she has access to. So again, hopefully good sign.

If # 3 doesn't pan out, I will take another looks at the Reddit info and see if I can go one of these routes (most likely just jumping those traces as I don't see me being able to do anything more complicated than that).

Props again to 1Up for their excellent customer service people and now management, which as a consumer I appreciate. The supervisor was extremely nice, took the time to review all my tickets after our first call and then called me back after confirming all the parts I need on each cabinet and confirming they were ordered for me as well (turns out a few were still missing but she corrected that).

Looks to be a very nice holiday indeed. I finish my probation at my new employer on 12/30 so I'm taking off the 31st for the family and the 2nd for myself, and its going to be an Arcade1Up day for me!

• Like 1

The local Walmart has a demo Pac-man machine and after a few weeks of use, it's paint is already wearing away near the joystick panel.

Its going to, we know this, its nothing new. The paint or graphics they used have already been proven to not stand up to repeated use. Depending on how many people play a game in a given day for xx number of hours with god knows what on their hands is probably equal to x numbers of years of regular play in a home environment. So the average household probably isn't going to experience this "extreme" wear.

1Up says future control decks with have something better (I think they said better paint) but honestly I'm thinking they are better using some nice vinyl graphics like they use with repo CPO's.

In the interim, 1Up has replacement control panel graphics (I am not sure what their actual term is) that you place over the existing control panel as well as a clear control deck protector thats supposed to prevent them from wearing in the fist place.

I don't think we have seen the replacement graphics yet but I am supposed to receive at least one for my Galaga control deck so I will post pics when I receive it.

The local Walmart has a demo Pac-man machine and after a few weeks of use, it's paint is already wearing away near the joystick panel

Sounds like it lasted longer than the Galaga at my local Wal-Mart. Went to electronics two days in a row, with the second trip in the middle of the night. Galaga had appeared in-between the trips and already was looking well worn when I played it, even though it had only been on display a few hours.

Not sure how this one snuck by them, but I wouldn't be a happy customer if it happened to my purchase.

Edited by Atariboy

very interesting news about hacking the arcade 1up machines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a476im/hacking_the_arcade1up_34scale_mini_arcade/

I'm BerryBerrySneaky, and I'm digging into the hardware of the Arcade1Up 3/4-scale (~4' tall) arcade cabinets. What I've determined so far:

AllWinner A13 SoC (used in many low-end Android tablets) running Linux-3.4.43

128MB of memory, 128MB of flash storage

Easily-accessed UART (serial) port (login for SF2 is newborg:newborg, use 115200,8,N,1)

Easily-accessed pads for USB host port. Successfully mounted & accessed USB flash drive via the serial console!

The development platform was very likely this Olimex board.

2 different emulators are used: MAME v0.139u1 on Atari 12-in-1 (possibly others?), and the commercial "MOO" emulator on SF2. (possibly others?)

lots more information here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a02870/

NEWS 8: Emulation-related updates. On Atari12in1, MAME is v 0.139u1. Adding a USB port to the board and connecting a PC keyboard allows you to access all the standard MAME options (TAB to open menu), and the settings stick after a reboot. This includes adjusting screen scaling options, spinner sensitivity, etc! Currently, the only way to access these options is to solder a USB connection to the board. This change will almost certainly void your warranty, but I'm looking at creating a solder-free USB add-on.

qpE9DQD.jpg

later

• Like 2

Ok, i'm done now:

Game : Arcade 1up - Pac-Man Plus

Level : 256

Score: 3, 073, 890

Time : 3 something hours

Notes : 1st man died 100k, 2nd - 2.2million, 3rd - 2.4 million, and messed up my

pattern on 2nd to last board.

Will post video on youtube.

Attempts : started 4 days ago, got 500k, 1.5million, 2.4 million yesterday (when i thought i had it), and almost messed up today

killscreen-3073890s.jpg

pacplus-killmonts.jpg

Next up : 1 million on joust or flip at 9.99million if i can find a board.

Edited by negative1
  • Like 6

I went to my local walmart and they had about 8 cabinets or so, they had Centipede on for use. My first thoughts it looked like the old arcade cabinets from old days. The cabinet seem sturdy and they also had it with the 1 foot pedestal. The game play was okay but the buttons were somewhat heavy / response. Also the front graphics was well worn off. I think for $299.00 seems okay but I didn't see anyone buy one, I hope when they sit around for a few months they will go on clearance, I wonder what was Walmarts cost ?

I went to my local walmart and they had about 8 cabinets or so, they had Centipede on for use. My first thoughts it looked like the old arcade cabinets from old days. The cabinet seem sturdy and they also had it with the 1 foot pedestal. The game play was okay but the buttons were somewhat heavy / response. Also the front graphics was well worn off. I think for $299.00 seems okay but I didn't see anyone buy one, I hope when they sit around for a few months they will go on clearance, I wonder what was Walmarts cost ?

They are already going on clearance in several places starting at $150 and up. Asteroids can be found $199.

Look at other locations.

later

• Like 1

Took a stroll through the local Walmart over the weekend and decided to check up on the SFII cab I played about a month ago.

QdieiFKl.jpg

U9f1Lhvl.jpg

Last time I was here, the thing had only been up for a few days and the left stick was broken. Now, it's flat out MISSING. :o The right stick was also broken, and the control panel was worn out badly.

Wowzers.

I know these things are not made to handle traffic like the real thing, but this is nuts! I would only consider one of these as a yard sale pickup on the cheap for modding purposes at this point.

• Like 2

Took a stroll through the local Walmart over the weekend and decided to check up on the SFII cab I played about a month ago.

QdieiFKl.jpg

U9f1Lhvl.jpg

Last time I was here, the thing had only been up for a few days and the left stick was broken. Now, it's flat out MISSING. :o The right stick was also broken, and the control panel was worn out badly.

Wowzers.

I know these things are not made to handle traffic like the real thing, but this is nuts! I would only consider one of these as a yard sale pickup on the cheap for modding purposes at this point.

i'm not sure what the point of people posting pictures of store machines, or worn out panels is.

i've played my pac-man machine solid for a week or more now, and not a single scratch or issue with the controls, paint, etc.

(yes, there are defective machines that people get, and yes there are issues with the quality of them no doubt).

if you really think a machine you buy is end up like this because of how you or kids handle it, you have more issues and problems with

maintaining electronics equipment, and painted items.

the control panel wearing off is a known issue from the first week these came out months ago, and

they are giving out plastic control panels to protect them.

other than that, there's no real point in waiting since they are already being cleared out of stores currently

as pointed out several times already.

later

You seriously don't understand what the point of posting these machines at store locations are? Naive much? It shows just how god awful the quality of the materials are. Yes I know you get destructive losers when they don't have to pay for it, but seriously, would it have really hurt them to use their brains and have that plastic overlay on the sticker before shipping on the play area? There's no damn way that didn't rub off in any moderate amount of quality testing if they actually did that. And arcade quality sticks, not the highest end for stickers, but the cheaper common ones are cheap, and far more durable than that crap as that's just sheered off. And even if that wasn't just a vengeance kill by some loser, enough comments have been made about the basic buttons even on a new machine not picking up each press. That's unacceptable entirely for an arcade game to have happen.

They need to be mocked and exposed peddling something for $300 where that's the result after maybe a month if that on the floors at stores.

• Like 2

You seriously don't understand what the point of posting these machines at store locations are? Naive much?

no, i don't know why people would post the same problem 20 times already, when we knew about it a few

weeks after it came out.

It shows just how god awful the quality of the materials are. Yes I know you get destructive losers when they don't have to pay for it, but seriously, would it have really hurt them to use their brains and have that plastic overlay on the sticker before shipping on the play area? There's no damn way that didn't rub off in any moderate amount of quality testing if they actually did that. And arcade quality sticks, not the highest end for stickers, but the cheaper common ones are cheap, and far more durable than that crap as that's just sheered off. And even if that wasn't just a vengeance kill by some loser, enough comments have been made about the basic buttons even on a new machine not picking up each press. That's unacceptable entirely for an arcade game to have happen.

again, nothing new there.

They need to be mocked and exposed peddling something for $300 where that's the result after maybe a month if that on the floors at stores.

you're naive if you're paying $300, i don't know anyone that's paying that much, since

a lot of places have them for $150, and $199, which is fine by me.

in other words, you're not saying anything new, that hasn't been said before.

later

no, i don't know why people would post the same problem 20 times already, when we knew about it a few

weeks after it came out.

again, nothing new there.

you're naive if you're paying $300, i don't know anyone that's paying that much, since

a lot of places have them for $150, and $199, which is fine by me.

in other words, you're not saying anything new, that hasn't been said before.

later

Who cares if what they are saying is new or not? It's still relevant to anyone buying one who hasn't yet. It should posted be on every page in this thread so they know what they are getting into. Anyone who hasn't seen this thread before and jumps to the last page won't see any of that stuff.

Looks like unlike Arcade1Up's previous claims, at least some of the games are using MAME to run them, rather than a "custom" emulator.

Instructions for adding a USB keyboard to access the MAME settings: https://imgur.com/gallery/9J77bht?fbclid=IwAR0TBeIt5v6INvZCO-tJloze5VIrP4PYqCKdlr8pngrfr-453FT4PQy-0Ng
I just might do that to make Quantum playable.
  • Like 3

Looks like unlike Arcade1Up's previous claims, at least some of the games are using MAME to run them, rather than a "custom" emulator.

Instructions for adding a USB keyboard to access the MAME settings: https://imgur.com/gallery/9J77bht?fbclid=IwAR0TBeIt5v6INvZCO-tJloze5VIrP4PYqCKdlr8pngrfr-453FT4PQy-0Ng

Now if you could do that and get into the Linux OS driving it to access the storage and menu systems to add games/roms, that would be cool.

Looks like unlike Arcade1Up's previous claims, at least some of the games are using MAME to run them, rather than a "custom" emulator.[/size]

i recommend doing it, with one caveat.

if you're not familiar with soldering or electronic work, you can 'brick' your board.

1 person has already done that with the 12-1.

so proceed, at your risk and with caution.

if it works, it will definitely make it playable.

Now if you could do that and get into the Linux OS driving it to access the storage and menu systems to add games/roms, that would be cool.

It would be cool, but impractical. The processor isn't good enough to run modern games or emulators.

if you have a raspberry pi (or get one), or a cheap pc around. it's better to use a completely new

system or board, and replace it entirely.

getting to the OS and modifying it is beyond the average persons capabilities.

but people are free to do what they want, and tinkering can be fun, if you're into that.

later

Edited by negative1

i recommend doing it, with one caveat.

if you're not familiar with soldering or electronic work, you can 'brick' your board.

1 person has already done that with the 12-1.

so proceed, at your risk and with caution.

if it works, it will definitely make it playable.

It would be cool, but impractical. The processor isn't good enough to run modern games or emulators.

if you have a raspberry pi (or get one), or a cheap pc around. it's better to use a completely new

system or board, and replace it entirely.

getting to the OS and modifying it is beyond the average persons capabilities.

but people are free to do what they want, and tinkering can be fun, if you're into that.

later

why would anyone want to run "modern" games on this? It's a classic arcade cab. There are about 200 "golden era" arcade games that would run great on it.
  • Like 2

It shows just how god awful the quality of the materials are. Yes I know you get destructive losers when they don't have to pay for it, but seriously, would it have really hurt them to use their brains and have that plastic overlay on the sticker before shipping on the play area? There's no damn way that didn't rub off in any moderate amount of quality testing if they actually did that. And arcade quality sticks, not the highest end for stickers, but the cheaper common ones are cheap, and far more durable than that crap as that's just sheered off. And even if that wasn't just a vengeance kill by some loser, enough comments have been made about the basic buttons even on a new machine not picking up each press. That's unacceptable entirely for an arcade game to have happen.

I wouldn't call the materials "god awful", you have to take into account the equivalent wear and tear these cabs have gone through in store as compared to being "at home". Ever seen a full size arcade cab after 10 years and multiple routes? I have, and depending on where they were, some of them ain't pretty.

Ever see those mug shots where they show people who first get arrested for prostitution, then how they progress over time? Yeah, not pretty. Well, that's what I'm equating these store demo units at Walmart to - 10 years of being on the street turning tricks. I mean, have you seen the people that shop at Walmart? There's whole web pages dedicated to the riff raff that shop there... :-D

As far as putting deck protectors on them? They don't even have them in stock to ship to customers, what makes you think marketing can get them shipped out to stores along with the cabs? Besides, people would just pry them up and break them off anyway.

Hey, what if 1Up sent cabs out like this deliberately to gain some real world play testing? Then Walmart ships them back and they can gauge just what stood up and what didn't based on how much abuse they took? Nah, that'd be too forward thinking.

While I think a more hardened unit would have been the better way to go for a store display, it would have differed from the actual product sold to consumers and people might have complained. But again, maybe 1Up will learn from this experience when the second wave releases next year.