IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like some places like Kohl's and Best Buy have a couple of cabinets on sale for $299: Pacmania Bandai-Namco Legacy and Street Fighter II Champion Turbo Legacy. Kohl's also has X-Men and T2 for $399. Target and Amazon continue to have $100 off on Pac-Man Deluxe like we saw for Black Friday.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Street-Fighter-II-CE-HS-5-Deluxe-Stand-Up-Cabinet-Arcade-Machine/5088151497?fulfillmentIntent=Shipping&from=/search

Supposedly there's an Extra $50 off if you Sign in too, so...$350 for a new Deluxe.  I'm tempted, for the SF games, Captain Commando, Final Fight, King of Dragons.  Just wish it had Vulgus, but that's a guilty pleasure. :)

Yoga Flame cab with riser is currently $299 also.  Zoinks.

• 1 month later...

I finally ended up getting the Neo Geo MVSX recently with the cabinet stand, and added the Hylo-X mod. This is a little bit different from my other 3/4 cabinets in that the emphasis is more on 90s games, and even a few from the early 2000s. But my kiddo and I had fun at an arcade playing some fighting games in the past year, so I thought it would be great to have that option at home, and even the unmodified MVSX has them in spades.

The build quality is quite nice, although the depth of the cabinet from front to back is significantly shallower than A1ups - so I filled the empty cabinet with a few boxes of books to weigh it down and prevent wobbling. I like the little red LED numerical credit displays. When playing in stock mode, they don't actually function as credit counters but rather give you a numerical readout that correlates to which game you're looking at in the menu. In the Hylo-X mode, they do that in the menus as well as functioning properly as credit counters when playing a game.

Regarding the sticks and buttons - if you look at lots of reviews like I did, you'll hear people say "the sticks are okay but the buttons suck" as well as "the buttons are okay but the sticks suck." They're both all right. I'd say the buttons are pretty good, but they seem to be leaf switches rather than microswitches, so you don't get a noticeable click. But if you're into shooters where you have to repeatedly press to fire, leaf switches are preferable because you can rapidly feather them. As for the sticks, the throw distance is a bit longer than I prefer but not really that noticeable in play. I might eventually upgrade them, just because I find that sort of thing enjoyable, but they're good for now.

The monitor is extremely bright - actually I wish it could be adjusted so it isn't quite so bright. Viewing angles from side to side are good but you will notice some fading if you're standing up looking down at the monitor. It's perfect for the height of the kids, and for me playing seated. The polarization seems to be diagonal on this screen, which is a bit odd but only noticeable when looking for it.

Like a lot of people, I find the mini coin-door on the tabletop unit to be weird and extraneous, so I ordered an item from Szabo that is a replica of the card reader and microphone jacks from the big red cabinets.

Overall, I'm really happy with it so far and enjoying digging into a lot of these titles that I missed in the arcades. In my opinion, these SNK and Capcom CPS titles are the pinnacle of pixel art as well as having pretty deep gameplay, so the main challenge is taking my time to get into particular titles rather than just quickly skimming through them due to the huge quantity of games available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, Hydro Thunder said:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Street-Fighter-II-CE-HS-5-Deluxe-Stand-Up-Cabinet-Arcade-Machine/5088151497?fulfillmentIntent=Shipping&from=/search

Supposedly there's an Extra $50 off if you Sign in too, so...$350 for a new Deluxe.  I'm tempted, for the SF games, Captain Commando, Final Fight, King of Dragons.  Just wish it had Vulgus, but that's a guilty pleasure. :)

Yoga Flame cab with riser is currently $299 also.  Zoinks.

I have Arcade1Up as an alert on Slickdeals.net.  While I was not looking for these as Christmas presents, a couple good deals popped up between BF and Christmas.  I got the Yoga Flame cab from Kohls for $244.99 and it came with $40 Kohls Cash, so $205.  Great deal.  I got the Street Fighter II CE HS-5 Deluxe Stand-Up Cabinet from Walmart for $299.99.  This week, I ordered the Street Fighter II Party-Cade from Ocean State Job Lot for $0 after Crazy Deal.

The Yoga Flame can be easily modified to run Mortal Combat.  Both cabs and the Party-Cade play online.  

I bought an Atari computer to emulate the arcade games.  Now, I am playing the arcade games.  I would like to put an Atari Computer inside one of these 'cabinets' so I can play all of the Atari games I have grown to love.  Anyone managed to use the LCD and controls with an actual Atari computer?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just not worth the effort. And I was really trying to be positive about it.

There are no generic 2-way JLF gates, so I spent WAY too much on this failure, but not enough to also sink time/effort into it too.

TMcBVqZ.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why, but the above result bugged me. So I bought a zippy stick with a long shaft, since all the sanwas/clones I have around are shorter.

some things I noticed:

• That mounting plate doesn't just have a corner off of it--it's entirely too small for a standard plate to fit down inside the routed area.
  • also in addition to screws they glued it in, and soldered the contacts with fairly high temp solder.
  • zippy sticks have a seimitsu-style 2/4/8 gate, but it's a bit sloppy. 'a bit sloppy' is still a considerable improvement over using the control panel's oval hole as a restrictor plate.
  • I forgot that even from my standing-workbench here, the screen's viewing angle can't be played standing in front of it, and it's polarized off to one side as if they chose a horizontal screen and just said 'eff it.' Maybe a wedge to tip it backwards would help.
  • galaga 88 control lags, never played enough to notice that before.
  • played one life of galaga 88 and switched it off. this represents probably 1/3 of my time playing on this unit. Not sure I've ever made it to game-over
  • I considered giving it a neo geo joystick port, because I'm clearly mentally ill.  And I'm sure I'll have done that by the next post.

It's basically the same result as before, but I got to use my hands to make something that's terrible, a bit less terrible, which is illogically, still a pretty good feeling. A zippy stick improved something! let that one sink in.

a4ZtcHl.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

I had found one of those as NOS in a busted box maybe 2 years ago, and your whole delay thing was real and it was annoying, but the real infuriating bit which is why I don't have it, the stock button (or shit coding?) causes it not to shoot every time you push the fire button which is death in either game after about 5min of playing as the difficulty ticks up.

• Like 1