IGNORED

SD Cart guidance

Inky

Side 2 and MyIde II are both excellent and readily available; but use CF not SD. CF2SD adapters are cheap though I've not tried one with these carts.

Neither of those, to my knowledge, support cartridge emulation for use with unmodified cartridge roms. I know SIDE2 doesn’t (I have one). However, the coming-someday SIDE3 does apparently.

• Like 2

Neither of those, to my knowledge, support cartridge emulation for use with unmodified cartridge roms. I know SIDE2 doesn’t (I have one). However, the coming-someday SIDE3 does apparently.

MyIDE II plays lots of ROMs. I've a large collection of 8K, 16k, and converted .R16 ... over 100 ROMs that play fine. I don't think it handles anything over 16k though without hacking. You can also load "myBios" first and play "800 only" games (like slime on an unmodified xl/xe).

• Like 1

MyIDE II plays lots of ROMs. I've a large collection of 8K, 16k, and converted .R16 ... over 100 ROMs that play fine. I don't think it handles anything over 16k though without hacking. You can also load "myBios" first and play "800 only" games (like slime on an unmodified xl/xe).

Good to know! :) That's why I said "to my knowledge." The SIDE2 won't load any roms except those cracked/converted to .XEX (executable binaries) or put into an .ATR self-booting disk image. Those it handles very well.

That the one big advantage of Electrotrains' designs for the Ultimate and UNO Carts - they handle all the obscure bankswitching schemes used BITD without having to track down hacks or rewrites to linear memory space. They also handle cartridge roms up to 128K (for UNO Cart) and 1MB (for the Ultimate). They both will load .XEX files as well, and the UNO can handle maybe 60% - 75% of game-crack .ATR's too, which is just a little bonus feature for some folks. Personally, I don't use it as I have plenty of other ways to load .ATR games these days.

• Like 2

I have an Ultimate Sd Cart and love it.

I recently aqquired an Ultimate Cart in trade, and its the best SD cart I have used on the atari 8 bit computer line*, the sio2 devices are great for disk drive stuff and I have both hooked up to my pal 65XE

*its also the only one I have used

• Like 2

For 5200 conversions, here's what I have. These are all .XEX files that will load from an UNO Cart. There are no 1 megabyte compilation ".CAR" files made with MaxFlash Studio that require an Ultimate Cart to load.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I got this bundle from a thread here in the last month or two but can't recall which thread, nor who posted it. So apologies - not trying to take credit for anyone else's work putting this together!

5200 XEX conversions.zip

• Like 4

For 5200 conversions, here's what I have. These are all .XEX files that will load from an UNO Cart.

Does the 5200 "Battlezone" conversion work on your UNO Cart in XEX format? It will load on my UNO Cart but then the in-game graphics are messed up and the game is unplayable. However, I used the same XEX file in the MaxFlash Studio Software to make a 1MB CAR image and *that* file works just fine on my UNO Cart. Weird. The 5200 "Battlezone" XEX runs just fine on my Ultimate Cart though. Again, weird.

• Like 1

Does the 5200 "Battlezone" conversion work on your UNO Cart in XEX format? It will load on my UNO Cart but then the in-game graphics are messed up and the game is unplayable. However, I used the same XEX file in the MaxFlash Studio Software to make a 1MB CAR image and *that* file works just fine on my UNO Cart. Weird. The 5200 "Battlezone" XEX runs just fine on my Ultimate Cart though. Again, weird.

Huh. I just tried it and got the same results. I even tried it with OS/B (the 400/800 operating system) and got the same results you did. I need to try it loaded from an SIO2USB and from the Loader in the Ultimate 1MB BIOS (from the CF card adapter in my 1088XEL). Don't have time to move files around tonight but something to check tomorrow for sure.

• Like 1

I tried loading that Battlezone.xex file from an external SIO2USB device and it works fine; the graphic distortion present when run from the UNO cart is the target reticule of your tank that gets corrupted by (presumably) however the UNO's XEX loader works or something. I'm going to try loading it from the CF card of my XEL1088 tonight.

• Like 1