IGNORED

PG - Mega Man 2 - Dr. Willy's Castle (POKEY Cover)

pseudografx

OK. This time , thought "OK, PG can do great POKEY tunes". And, while listening to that 2 POKEY 60Hz CPU eating edit of the tune, I thought "no, this isn't" the aimed NES tune.

So I made a recording of the tune and uploaded it onto youtube... but it doesn't recognize the "original" even a second, while the edit, done by Fragmare, and some changes by me , resulted in a full fitting tune, which youtube directly sorted as "original" ...

What to say ?

Why is a single POKEY tune at one PAL VBI speed recognized "real" , while a "super environment CPU blast" isn't?

Seems, the answer is essential for future POKEY music development.

Ehh... I don't think Youtube's automated monetizing recognition routine should be used as the "gold standard" by which NES>POKEY chiptunes are judged. Use your ears instead, they're more reliable since they're closer to your brain. ;)

In my experience, the "recognition" of that system acts on the "catching" type of a tune. It also acknowledges the tune, if you whistle it or , if you do a re-arranged version. It "ticks" on every little comparision to the original, for sure. So there must be something wrong , if the tune doesn't get recognized.

And, yes, from my side it is a huge question, why POKEY Music has to be that shifted, to lose the ground of "music" and to get that "flattened" so people like it?

Because, if you turn in the other way, it explains straight on, why POKEY music never gets real. When music gets shifted and flattend for the people who like POKEY tunes.

To make it more clear: This causes people, whom like to listen to music DIRECTLY to conceive "out of tune".

Got it?

Edited by emkay

Here is the source RMT file, SAP and XEX export. Note that the XEX will play at a slower speed than it should (the player routine always plays at 50Hz even on NTSC systems). You can compensate this in emulator by setting speed to 120%.

Music.zip

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 1

In my experience, the "recognition" of that system acts on the "catching" type of a tune. It also acknowledges the tune, if you whistle it or , if you do a re-arranged version. It "ticks" on every little comparision to the original, for sure. So there must be something wrong , if the tune doesn't get recognized.

And, yes, from my side it is a huge question, why POKEY Music has to be that shifted, to lose the ground of "music" and to get that "flattened" so people like it?

Because, if you turn in the other way, it explains straight on, why POKEY music never gets real. When music gets shifted and flattend for the people who like POKEY tunes.

To make it more clear: This causes people, whom like to listen to music DIRECTLY to conceive "out of tune".

Got it?

Yea, but check out this logic, man... I don't give a RAT'S ASS about Youtube's automated checker thingy. I don't need Youtube to tell me if something sounds good. I know what the song should sound like, and I have ears to hear it with. I also have friends with ears who usually tell me when something sounds off. If it sounds good, and other people seem to like it too, then f**k whatever Youtube tells you... who cares if every last microtone isn't compliant with A4=440 or whatever? Not me! Let your number of 'Likes' or 'Listens' be your barometer for if it's a good tune, rather than Youtube's automated routine. Edited by Fragmare
  • Like 3

Here is the source RMT file, SAP and XEX export. Note that the XEX will play at a slower speed than it should (the player routine always plays at 50Hz even on NTSC systems). You can compensate this in emulator by setting speed to 120%.

I only use real machines...

• 3 years later...