IGNORED

Did you know? The 240p FZ-1 Variant

kgenthe

Did you know? There is a Japanese FZ-1 variant 3DO lacking an RF module, but instead has a MODE SELECT switch. Mode A is 480i, mode B is 240p. No mods needed! I figured I'd share this here since this it isn't common knowledge and might incredibly useful for some.

40363692962_fd965f92d3_k.jpg
40363693082_4aa8ec9175_b.jpg
40363693112_936c21b982_b.jpg
40363693232_fd5de22870_b.jpg
If you happen to own one of these 3DO’s and a Framemeister, here are the S-Video settings I used for the above captures:
HDMI_Output: 720_60p
Image_Mode: Picture
Brightness: 25
Gamma: 14
Black: 2
Saturation: 23
Sharpness: 1
A/D Level: 142
Visual_Set Menu
H_Scaler: 11
V_Scaler: 6
Zoom_Set Menu
Zoom_Size: 100
Zoom_Width: 45
Video_Set Menu
Pedestal_Lvl: On
Cheers!
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing. Would you be able to open up the 3DO and take pictures of the inside. It would be interesting to see which encoder it uses and how the switch is wired to the board. Thanks for the Frameister settings.

240p is the prefered video mode for retro consoles. It is a sharper image with no flicker. It can then be line doubled to 480p or line tripled to 720p for maximum quality.

• Like 1

Damn, I just checked the back of mine. It only has the channel set 3-4 in place of that A-B so mine isn't a Japenese model then. For those of you using s-video since it wa smentioned above, do you fine s-video to look better than the AV cables on your CRT? I honestly couldn't tell the difference so I left mine with AV cables since I was out of s-video ports

• Like 1

For those of you using s-video since it wa smentioned above, do you fine s-video to look better than the AV cables on your CRT? I honestly couldn't tell the difference so I left mine with AV cables since I was out of s-video ports

Yes, the s-video is significantly better than composite. Make sure you're not plugging in the composite (yellow) cable alongside your s-video cable. Your TV will prioritize the composite connection over the s-video connection if you do that. You really should notice a difference if you are connecting things up correctly. Also, what model TV do you have? On my Trinitron, the difference is like night and day.

• Like 1

Yes, the s-video is significantly better than composite. Make sure you're not plugging in the composite (yellow) cable alongside your s-video cable. Your TV will prioritize the composite connection over the s-video connection if you do that. You really should notice a difference if you are connecting things up correctly. Also, what model TV do you have? On my Trinitron, the difference is like night and day.

Mine is a Trinitron XBR which should be a pretty high end CRT. It's a flat CRT. I didn't notice much but maybe I'll give it another shot. I notice a big difference with the Saturn but nothing much at all from the 3DO over the AV

Mine is a Trinitron XBR which should be a pretty high end CRT. It's a flat CRT. I didn't notice much but maybe I'll give it another shot. I notice a big difference with the Saturn but nothing much at all from the 3DO over the AV

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure you were doing it right. I know I have made that mistake in the past and thought, "Well, S-Video just doesn't look any better" (even though by nature it is a large jump).

I just dug out my Japanese FZ-1, and sure enough, it's got the switch on the back.

My next question is, in terms of Japanese FZ-1 models specifically, is this actually a variant? I decided to take a look on eBay and of the several I happened to take a look at, all had the switch (and no RF port). There are a few with RF ports that slipped through marked as "import" systems, but are actually USA models (Japanese versions will have some Japanese text on the back and have a 100v marking).

I am looking forward to testing this out soon.

post-24675-0-21449700-1519488107_thumb.jpg

So sure enough it works. I've been looking at 480i on this platform for decades so it's interesting seeing the games in 240p. If anything, it plays much nicer with my upscaler and it the picture looks much nicer when the system is run through it. That's a huge plus for when I am streaming.

• Like 2

My next question is, in terms of Japanese FZ-1 models specifically, is this actually a variant? I decided to take a look on eBay and of the several I happened to take a look at, all had the switch (and no RF port). There are a few with RF ports that slipped through marked as "import" systems, but are actually USA models (Japanese versions will have some Japanese text on the back and have a 100v marking).

Mine doesn't have the switch

post-63671-0-08902700-1519587366_thumb.png

So the aspect ratio would be 4:3 still?

Yes. Look at the snapshots in the top post--those are 240p.

I had wondered if the 240p of the Japanese version was worth it to buy it over a US version. My fz-1 is on the fritz due to capacitors I found out so I was thinking of snagging a spare fz-10 if I can and was interested in a Japanese one if the 240p makes a difference.

If you are just playing on a CRT, then 240p vs. 480i is going to be a preference kind of thing. Do you prefer the more consistent/firm look of most PlayStation and Saturn titles (240p), or do you like the pseudo-higher resolution look (albeit jittery) that you get with 480i (3DO, some PS1/Saturn title screens; most PS2 titles)?

For people that record or stream however, 240p is really important. It plays nicer with scalers and generally looks a lot more appealing in recordings.

Mine doesn't have the switch

attachicon.gifIMG_0083.png

Damn that's crazy you have no switch at all!

I just bought a second FZ-1 unit last weekend and it is like my other one, had the 3-4 switch, unfortunately no Mode A-B switch :( But I did notice the difference in the top cover, it is textured and shiny vs my other one which is dull/flat and a marble color on the top. The lettering on the front is bigger as well. I was hoping that was a Japanese unit for the sake of this switch but no dice, likely just another version of the US model.

The 3-4 switch relates to channel select on the RF modulator. The 240p switch seems to only be on certain Japanese models. It all depends on video encoder.

The early US and Japanese FZ-1 models have the BT9101 encoder which doesn't support 240p (as far as we know).

PAL and Canadian FZ-1 have the BT9103 encoder which can be modded for 240p but doesn't come with a switch pre installed.

Late Japanese FZ-1 (prior to FZ-10 launch) have the VP536 encoder which also can support 240p. Some have a switch pre built, some don't.

Best thing to do is open up your 3DO and see which encoder u have.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello. Question regarding this variant. I currently have a RGB-modded 3do. I’m wondering though if the ability to lock in 240p would actually be better. What do you all think? 240p > RGB? I do have a Framemeister so s-video is an option. Thanks

240p + RGB is ideal.