IGNORED

Did you know? The 240p FZ-1 Variant

kgenthe

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I am looking to RGB mod my japanese 3DO with the 240p switch and where you would expect there is not an RF output, there is a large 'box' on the PCB attached to the 240p switch. This leaves me with no obvious place to place the RGB DIN. Any recommendations? At this point I am considering drilling a hole through the vents on the top piece (yuck!) or sticking it on the left side of the console (also yuck!).

Is there a clear document or other site who puts out exactly what can and cant be done with different FZ-1 models... I have 2 right now, both have the 3-4 switch on them . I will be selling one soon but, If one of these can be modded to provide 240p out, I would love to make sure I sell the one that CANT be, if that is the case.

It depends on the video encoder on board. You will have to open it to check. BT9101 cannot be modded for 240p but can still be modded for RGB.

BT9103 and VP536 can be modded for both 240p and RGB.

I am working on an encoder replacement mod for BT9101 3DO so that they can handle 240p but it's not a simple mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on the video encoder on board. You will have to open it to check. BT9101 cannot be modded for 240p but can still be modded for RGB.

BT9103 and VP536 can be modded for both 240p and RGB.

I am working on an encoder replacement mod for BT9101 3DO so that they can handle 240p but it's not a simple mod.

Thanks for the info, I need to find more information on this. I'll have to look over YouTube or something.

Was there ever a way to tell via serial number for example that could tell the differences in video decoders ?

So I picked up FZ-1 model of the 3DO, and had the caps changed on it. In the process, we started investigating the 240p mod. The chip was the VP536, likely making it a later model FZ-1. At some point, Panasonic was selling both models concurrently, both having multi-colored boxes as opposed to the original all black box. Anyway, with help from Taijigamer we got a rocker switch installed, but I couldn't switch games in 240p mode. That's when he discovered that I needed to remove a small resistor, which we did. Now it works properly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I need to find more information on this. I'll have to look over YouTube or something.

Was there ever a way to tell via serial number for example that could tell the differences in video decoders ?

As a general rule of thumb,

Early US FZ-1 - BT9101 (RGB - Yes, 240p - No)

Late US FZ-1 - VP536 (RGB, 240p - Yes)

PAL/ CAN FZ-1 - BT9103 (RGB, 240p - Yes)

JAP - FZ-1 - VP536 (RGB, 240p - Yes)

Early FZ-10 - VP536

Late FZ-10 - ANVIL (RGB - No, 240p - No)

Goldstar GDO-101 - VP536

Goldstar GDO-202 - ANVIL

Goldstar GDO-203 - ANVIL

Sanyo Try - VP536

Not sure about serial numbers, it might be a good idea to get a database of serial numbers going so we can get an idea of what's in what.

• Like 1

Early FZ-10 - VP536

Goldstar GDO-101 - VP536

Goldstar GDO-202 - ANVIL

Goldstar GDO-203 - ANVIL

Sanyo Try - VP536

Not sure about serial numbers, it might be a good idea to get a database of serial numbers going so we can get an idea of what's in what.

I have 2 of them, I was going to sell one as part of a package deal with a bunch of consoles, I'll have to pull them apart to see what is what before doing that.

Is there an image or guide to find exactly on the board where the chip is ?

Edited by TheCoolDave

• 4 weeks later...

Early FZ-10 - VP536

Goldstar GDO-101 - VP536

Goldstar GDO-202 - ANVIL

Goldstar GDO-203 - ANVIL

Sanyo Try - VP536

Hmm so only some models of 3DO can be RGB modded? Goo to know.

Mine is an oddball too. I found it in France, but import was rather strong here for the oddball system. Tho I believe mine might have been a model for demonstration :

gallery_35492_963_829508.jpg

gallery_35492_963_1898076.jpg

gallery_35492_963_1690400.jpg

gallery_35492_963_1145632.jpg

The S-Video port is there, soldered, but there is a piece of plastic blocking it. The power supply was shoddily replaced (yes, with the bare wire soing out like that... I secured it after I took the pictures) and more importantly, there is that wire that was obviously going outside of the console from that round hole, which is soldered on the ribbon cable?