IGNORED

Atari 7800 power connector is not proprietary: found a few donors

CZroe

Speaking of the 7800 power adapter...

I have both a 7800 and a Sega Master System. I have noticed that the two power blocks look the same, but I left it at that. The other day I looked at the specifications of the two, and lo and behold, if it weren't for the connector, they would be interchangeable. Because of this, I'm seriously contemplating replacing the power jack on my 7800 with a SMS compatible one. This way I don't have to keep swapping the adapters.

Yep. Pretty sure the 1602 Sega Genesis adapter was made for both just like the 1605 AV cable. In the case of the AV cable, they just updated he packaging and changed the part number to 1605 from something else (can’t recall ATM).

The method I used in the video (gutted the housing and drilled a hole for a jack) should work with your SMS adapter, since it’s also 5.5x2.1mm center-negative.

Best is out of 7800 power supplies ?

Waiting on an answer from him, but I figure there must be some reason people aren’t just buying them from him for $15. Edited by CZroe

Best is out of 7800 power supplies ?

Waiting on an answer from him, but I figure there must be some reason people aren’t just buying them from him for $15.
Well, I got my answer but he doesn’t want me telling anyone the details just yet. Let’s just say that I have no idea if he can use these or not so I pointed them out anyway. He’s the go-to guy for this kind of stuff so I hope this helps. Edited by CZroe

Yeah, but I think prices have spiked in the last year or so. Cheapest one on eBay right now is $41 shipped (!) and the new after market ones are significantly higher than that ($65 shipped!). Only one under $26 in recently sold history and it was an original “untested” original sold as-is.

Searches were broad:

“Atari 7800 ac”

“Atari 7800 power”

“Atari 7800 adapter” results in too many of those RCA Cinch to coaxial F-type adapters to be useful.

Obviously, that Amazon price is the one to beat.

If Best Electronics is out of stock of his $15 or $18 originals he might want to buy a bunch of these so he can still offer something. [emoji4]

I agree the ebay,ect. prices are getting up there for sure. The 2 I've sold recently where here on AtariAge not on ebay. I sat on them for a bit before they sold even at $15 each.

I have 3 Atari brand 7800 AC's in great shape I'd love to sell for the prices you are talking about. Hell if anyone is looking for an AC and wants to save $5 versus the going ebay rates let me know. I've got 3 right here waiting to sell you :)

• Like 1

Well, I got my answer but he doesn’t want me telling anyone the details just yet. Let’s just say that I have no idea if he can use these or not so I pointed them out anyway. He’s the go-to guy for this kind of stuff so I hope this helps.

It was AtariGuide that did a run of new 7800 power supplies a while back. Best might have had NOS ones but I think they are gone. As for Best getting these things and soldering up some 7800 power supplies? It's not like it would be some engineering marvel. So him asking you to stay quiet about whatever means nothing really. A little too self important for my likes. :thumbsdown:

It was AtariGuide that did a run of new 7800 power supplies a while back. Best might have had NOS ones but I think they are gone. As for Best getting these things and soldering up some 7800 power supplies? It's not like it would be some engineering marvel. So him asking you to stay quiet about whatever means nothing really. A little too self important for my likes. :thumbsdown:

Yes, the AtariGuide’s adapters are the ones on Amazon that we discussed (~$26.50 shipped; not Prime eligible). I recall that they also had the pigtails on their site for $3 but those haven’t been available for years. We were wondering if Best still had originals for $15 as the image still indicates.

His reply answering this has nothing to do with soldering these up. I hadn’t even mentioned them since I was only inquiring about NOS power supplies. That’s why I have no idea about whether or not he can use these. He’ll tell us all what he’s up to in due time.

My email about these Brinkmann adapters was sent as I made that post, so no response yet.

• Like 1

Why go through all this trouble and headache just buy a 5.5 mm x 2.1mm panel mount barrel connector and wire it up for the same polarity as the common as dirt Genesis model 1 power supply and be done with it. Especially if you’re just gonna end up AV modding your system anyway. Life to short to deal with proprietary and uncommon connector nonsense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-5-mm-x-2-1mm-DC-Power-Jack-Socket-Female-Panel-Mount-Connector/280861579410?epid=20005821423&hash=item4164a79892:g:HXgAAMXQKq5R502z

Edited by thecrypticodor
  • Like 1

Why go through all this trouble and headache just buy a 5.5 mm x 2.1mm panel mount barrel connector and wire it up for the same polarity as the common as dirt Genesis model 1 power supply and be done with it. Especially if you’re just gonna end up AV modding your system anyway. Life to short to deal with proprietary and uncommon connector nonsense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-5-mm-x-2-1mm-DC-Power-Jack-Socket-Female-Panel-Mount-Connector/280861579410?epid=20005821423&hash=item4164a79892:g:HXgAAMXQKq5R502z

That option still exists, and the only “trouble and headache” with this (sourcing the connector cheaply) just disappeared... for now.

Some people don’t want to cut up their console and may not be comfortable with a jack that can easily fit the wrong plug. Granted, I’m adding a 5.5x2.1mm jack anyway. [emoji4]

If I ran a game shop and couldn’t sell my consoles without a power adapter, I think I’d be happy to have these.

Heck, I gave away two originals in the last year and a half to other people who needed one and didn’t want me to cut holes or remove parts from their consoles (locals). It’s why I’m down to 3 consoles and 1 plug right now, and there’s no way I’m chopping up my 1984 test market unit! I’d still have them for my extra consoles if I could have given those guys a make-shift plug instead.

Edited by CZroe

Maybe I missed something in this conversation, but I just order up these as needed to get around the 7800 power supply issue. I've wired up a few of these on request for other people when I was modding their 7800s. So... yeah?

https://console5.com/store/22awg-female-pigtail-nes-genesis-sega-cd.html

Maybe I missed something in this conversation, but I just order up these as needed to get around the 7800 power supply issue. I've wired up a few of these on request for other people when I was modding their 7800s. So... yeah?

https://console5.com/store/22awg-female-pigtail-nes-genesis-sega-cd.html

Right. That’s what we always had to resort to without pigtails. Someone who doesn’t want to drill or leave dangly bits hanging out of their console either had to buy an original adapter or buy an aftermarket adapter, and neither are cheap. It’s another alternative.

The only reason I gave away two original PSUs to friends who needed them is because I could do that if needed. Even so, I hung on to my last original plug because I didn’t want to do that to my 1984 limited release unit.

Edited by CZroe

Right. That’s what we always had to resort to without pigtails. Someone who doesn’t want to drill or leave dangly bits hanging out of their console either had to buy an original adapter or buy an aftermarket adapter, and neither are cheap. It’s another alternative.

The only reason I gave away two original PSUs to friends who needed them is because I could do that if needed. Even so, I hung on to my last original plug because I didn’t want to do that to my 1984 limited release unit.

Yeppers. This is about keeping the console stock. New jacks are always an option when that is no longer taken into consideration. That and it's cool to see a grooming product using the same connector as the Atari :grin:

Well adding in a separate jack via a pigatail out of one of the vent holes may not look stock. But certainly easy to remove it and take it back to stock if you find a replacement for the original jack. I don't remove the original, just add another power jack that accept an SMS, Jag, Genesis model 1 power supply as those are quite commonplace.

Well adding in a separate jack via a pigatail out of one of the vent holes may not look stock. But certainly easy to remove it and take it back to stock if you find a replacement for the original jack. I don't remove the original, just add another power jack that accept an SMS, Jag, Genesis model 1 power supply as those are quite commonplace.

Yeah, which is why I was OK with doing it for myself and gave the extra originals to other people. Not sure I’d trust the average end user if I were selling it that way though. If they tug it too hard or something I don’t expect they’ll be diving right in to resolder it and it also risks being plugged in to the wrong adapter.

There are enough devalued 7800 systems out there that vendors/game shops and end users who aren’t handy have driven up the prices of proper replacements. It’s possible to give them an affordable option now. I’m ordering a few for my extra consoles that I’ve been sitting on since I don’t want the next owners trying something stupid with it and I’ll order a few extra in case I bump into anyone in the next few years like I did in the last 1.5 years.

I know: helping those two people validated my hoarder mentality and now it’s snowballing. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe

Thanks, but that’s the ArariGuide one we acknowledged as $26.50 shipped (since it’s not Prime eligible). $26.50 is a huge portion of what a 7800 is even worth, so it’s still a tough pill to swallow when the pigtails used to be $3 from the same source (AtariGuide). It’s definitely much better than the eBay price for the AtariGuide adapter! Edited by CZroe

Yeah, which is why I was OK with doing it for myself and gave the extra originals to other people. Not sure I’d trust the average end user if I were selling it that way though. If they tug it too hard or something I don’t expect they’ll be diving right in to resolder it and it also risks being plugged in to the wrong adapter.

I would both cable tie and knot the pigtail inside to prevent it from being yanked out easily. As far as using the wrong adapter, that can happen with any console that uses a similar jack. And as long as you were upffront about which adapters to use and look for, mainly the Genesis model 1 or SMS power supply, it really isn't a huge deal. Or...just get a genesis model supply, cut the tip off it, and attache the old tip of the 7800 connect to it. You could really make yourself a super long power cord that way similar to the 2600 power supply cords.