IGNORED

Is a MiST worth it?

zetastrike

Most cores are on both- there are still a couple that are only on one or the other.

Mister has NeoGeo, Coco, and TI994a unique.

Mist has Atari ST, Apple IIe and maybe a couple others that support 15KHz where Mister does not on all cores. 

There is an ST core for Mister that is unfinished and doesn't work for me correctly (abandoned).

May are unfinished on both. I have both... :)

Edited by R.Cade

7 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I note there's also a SCART cable for the MIST, which would be ideal for my XRGB-mini. Does that give the same overall quality as the VGA connection?

Yes. The XRGB-Mini can even accept 31khz over SCART, I've used it like that for a while.

It also allows converting 50hz (PAL) content into 60hz (NTSC) since the XRGB has a framebuffer.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using my MiST a lot lately as an Atari ST.  It's a great core!  I've got the MiST hooked up to my 14" PVM over RGB, and it really brings back the memories of playing ST games with my buddy when we were kids.

The MiST has really saved my bacon actually... I've got an actual STE in which I had installed a gotek drive and it had worked flawlessly for 3-4 years, but just this week the joystick port has started to fail.  I could possibly replace it with a part from my nonworking STE, but the STE itself is so bulky (and unreliable in my experience anyway) that I'd rather just use the MiST at this point.

Getting rid of the STE (i.e. putting it away in my closet) actually allowed me to really streamline my 8-bit computer rack in my office, looks great now :)

Edited by newtmonkey
typo
  • Like 1

A bit off topic, but a picture of the above setup!

DSC-0279.jpg

Top row:

- Atari 7800

- 14" Sony PVM monitor

- MiST FPGA

- Famicom

Middle row:

- C64s (NTSC & PAL)

- Apple IIc

- ZX Spectrum OMNI 128K

Bottom row:

- MSX2

- Atari 800XL

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonus picture: Close up on Alien Breed running on MIST Amiga core over RGB SCART

(blurriness on right side is caused by taking the photo at an angle, which was the only way to get rid of glare and show off the nice scanlines ?)

DSC-0286.jpg

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 4