IGNORED

800 power supply caps replace

Sugarland

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback!  Would the SCCC by tf_hh fix the wavy video produced by the TRACO TSR 1-2450 line converter?

Not an expert but I suppose so, since it includes UAV and UAV has a "clean" power supply for the video circuit. Best send a PM to tf_hh who should know best and can sell you one if you need it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slx said:

Not an expert but I suppose so, since it includes UAV and UAV has a "clean" power supply for the video circuit. Best send a PM to tf_hh who should know best and can sell you one if you need it.

I dunno. The UAV's "clean" power is only as clean as the ground-plane of the system it's installed into. The 800 generally has a cleaner and better ground than the XL's and XE's, I think, so if that line converter is pruducing that much noise, it seems like a better long-term solution is simply remove those and go back to standard voltage regulators. I've NEVER had a bad VR in an A8, 5200 or 7800. I've had one marginal one on a 2600 Vader that I went ahead and replaced while I was replacing the chiclet caps anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I dunno. The UAV's "clean" power is only as clean as the ground-plane of the system it's installed into. The 800 generally has a cleaner and better ground than the XL's and XE's, I think, so if that line converter is pruducing that much noise, it seems like a better long-term solution is simply remove those and go back to standard voltage regulators. I've NEVER had a bad VR in an A8, 5200 or 7800. I've had one marginal one on a 2600 Vader that I went ahead and replaced while I was replacing the chiclet caps anyway.  

Alright thank you DrVenkman! What voltage regulators would you use on a man-portable particle accelerator system that is used to create a charged particle beam composed of protons?

Edited by Sugarland

6 hours ago, slx said:

Thank you. I got one yesterday in the mail. Very random (and awesome) device to get in the mail, too!

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

Thank you. I got one yesterday in the mail. Very random (and awesome) device to get in the mail, too!

Yeah, tf_hh‘s packaging is as neat as his designs. I didn‘t even know anti-static zip-locs existed before I bought stuff from him. 

When UAV was still in development someone (guitari?) designed a little add-on audio board to get a complete audio out and tf_hh incorporated that into SCCC as well rather ‚last minute‘. 

So I really do hope he goes ahead with his dual PAL/NTSC and maybe even 65C816 compatible Super SCCC. There‘s an 800 waiting here ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Bryan did an Audio Companion board but only one run of them. I don’t think that got much community traction; certainly not as much as the UAV. 

IIRC they were intended for use on the 400 only, as all other machines have a point to pick off audio. suitable to send to a standard monitor connector. I got two but didn't need them on my 400 as the SCCC contained the circuitry already.

20 minutes ago, slx said:

IIRC they were intended for use on the 400 only, as all other machines have a point to pick off audio. suitable to send to a standard monitor connector. I got two but didn't need them on my 400 as the SCCC contained the circuitry already.

I know a few folks used them in the 7800 as well. Bran designed it to provide balanced signals for both TIA and POKEY without needing to balance things with a filter cap or discrete resistors. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I know a few folks used them in the 7800 as well. Bran designed it to provide balanced signals for both TIA and POKEY without needing to balance things with a filter cap or discrete resistors. 

Great, then I might still have a use for them!

Based on experience, you may still get noise/jail bars coming through the display even with the SCCC / UAV installed if you don't have clean power or a decent ground from the vertical block.

Once I fixed up the grounding issue, I had a very nice and clean picture on my 800 that surpasses the display in any of my other 8bits.

• Like 2

No vertical banding, no bars, no video upgrades (other than R189), no nothing.... on basically stock 800. 

AAA57644-7E3A-44C2-89E0-220A9263101A.jpeg

Good video processor (or any other well implemented analog-to-digital video path) will take care of everything, with proper signal normalization and sharpening control.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

As a side note (and sincere recommendation):

1. The 800 does not need power-supply capacitor's replacement, unless you have made the necessary capacitance measurements to grant such replacement (not the norm).
  2. In that case, you would be MUCH better off by simply buying a full Power-supply / regulation board, and dropping it in, plug-an-play. You will not be able to beat the value/price/time ratio of this swap, with anything.

Just leverage the 800's architecture to your advantage and longevity, as well.

Enjoy!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2