IGNORED

Magnavox Odyssey Multicard

Boojakascha

Hello

Sadly I noticed that the Magnavox Odyssey games have risen in price. Personally I want to preserve light gun gaming as much as possible. Therefore I started to do a multi card which can be used as cards 9 & 10. Then I realized that this was a waste of silicon an time and that I should better make a 12 in 1 mutli card. Myself I just own 3, 9 & 10 so I was very into the idea once I had it. Here is a picture of the final card:

multicard.jpg

I put all the PCB files onto my website, so everybody can print one for personal usage. I uploaded the files as GERBER and as .brd files (I prefer the latter...). I wish you all happy gaming!

Here is a short video of proof, which shows that the little thing actually works:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJGMqS9hTI&t=4m27s

• Like 6

How do you select a game with it? Each card does something different.

The odyssey works on short circuit and interruption which alters the game logic of the main unit. Plug in in my cart will short circuit pins 4 and 2 which powers the system (turn the system on). Besides that, nothing happens. Now you would read the white instruction on the surface. They tell you which short circuits to establish (by flipping a DIL switches) in order to recreate a game.

Just an idle thought, but it'd be easy to put together a few "Odyssey Multicart" stickers to put over an old keyboard box of similar size to the originals...

That's a cool idea^^

But personally I keep my own multicard loose with the system. You see, I did similar other Odyssey stuff, all these are all lose anyways. So for me personally It makes no big difference =) Also the Ulysses I am doing is a bare PCB on a isolated base plate. I like looking at FRA4 =)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I recently picked up an Odyssey that was missing its game cards. At first I was trying to design a PCB where I would add solder bridges to create a permanent version of each game card. Then I saw this thread and realized I'd missed the obvious: dip switches. So I took a shot at making my own and it works!

Awesome idea!

post-47519-0-05437700-1539693453_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I recently picked up an Odyssey that was missing its game cards. At first I was trying to design a PCB where I would add solder bridges to create a permanent version of each game card. Then I saw this thread and realized I'd missed the obvious: dip switches. So I took a shot at making my own and it works!

Awesome idea!

looks lovely! Great job! Looks far less convoluted than mine^^

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 8:44 AM, ruthsarian said:

Awesome idea!

post-47519-0-05437700-1539693453_thumb.jpg

Very cool... what kind of cost is one looking at to make one ?

You could take a look at Seeed Studio. They are cheap but don't have a terrible working condition reputation. And then you could try to make a shout out for other interest people. Making 5 of these is approximately equally expensive as making one. Therefore the cost of a single cart, would be five times cheaper if you managed to distribute the remaining four.

20 hours ago, Boojakascha said:

You could take a look at Seeed Studio. They are cheap but don't have a terrible working condition reputation. And then you could try to make a shout out for other interest people. Making 5 of these is approximately equally expensive as making one. Therefore the cost of a single cart, would be five times cheaper if you managed to distribute the remaining four.

Thanks !  You also have some interesting other projects on your site.  Might need to play with some other things (always wanted to see a NES gun work on a modern LCD tv)

Ok, I'll bite. Any other interest in this ?  I am NOT interested in any profit, I would just like to own one.  So we figure out how many, cost to make, we figure out shipping costs, then we divide it between all users and your cut is required to be part of it.

If I get a handful of requests (PM me) I'll spend some time to try to get an idea of the costs and take it from there. I have never done this before but, would like see the process :)

• 2 years later...