IGNORED

Mind Blown! Didn't realize Crypts of Chaos was a D&D style game

King_Salamon

Like the title says... I've been playing various Atari games and really thought I knew about what each game was over the years but I never knew about Crypts of Chaos. Although primitive, it looks like a dungeon crawler similar to Intellivision's Treasure of Tarmin on a much simpler scale.

So I was wondering if I've missed out on other 'RPG' style games on the VCS??

I can think of the following:

Adventure (and all of the hacks and 'sequels' etc)

Haunted House (More adventure game not really RPG)

Superman (Similar to Haunted House)

Crypts of Chaos

Dungeon (Homebrew)

Anguna (Homebrew)

ET (to a degree)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (again... to a degree)

I don't count the Swordquest games... they may have all the appearance of an RPG but to me, they are just a bunch of mini games that are not fun.... at all.

There is a SuperCharger games.. Dragonstomper and Sword of Saros. I can't get those on a cart (or can I?) so I don't count them either.

Are there other RPG's for the 2600? I gotta get ahold of Crypts of Chaos though... lol. All these years and never knew about it. lol

I guess that it depends on what is required in an 'RPG' for you.

RotS has a quest to complete, NPCs to meet, foes to vanquish, locations to visit, items to collect, and a rudimentary inventory.

Granted, I'm nostalgic for it, but I do still enjoy spending 10 or 20 minutes with RotS when the bug bites me.

• Like 1

I had that red Atari catalog, and the "Adventure Territory" section sadly only had three games in it. Always hoped that would be more fleshed out someday, because it was my favorite kind of game.

I'd love to see more RPG style games on the system. I keep wondering about how you could do Bard's Tale.

Dark Chambers has some RPG elements.

Well it's the D&D theme all right but not much RPG... but I'll add it. :)

I had that red Atari catalog, and the "Adventure Territory" section sadly only had three games in it. Always hoped that would be more fleshed out someday, because it was my favorite kind of game.

I'd love to see more RPG style games on the system. I keep wondering about how you could do Bard's Tale.

Isn't that the truth... when my buddy got AD&D for the Intellivision, I was hoping the Atari would get something to add to the Adventure Territory... I guess we got Swordquest... ugh,

Bard's Tale would not happen on the system but I am happy to see the new homebrews getting into this territory. :)

Yeah. Dragonstomper for sure, Catacombs of Chaos (the only thing that bugs me about it is that I can never fit that little toy knight dude back into the case). Evil Magician Returns is way good, but it might be hard to find now. Montezuma's Revenge I would add, too.

Dragonstomper for sure... I'd like a repro cart of this if it can be done... as well as Catacombs of Chaos but I don't need the little toy knight. Evil Magician is an Adventure style game.. there are a ton of those.

Montezumas Revenge doesn't make the list as I think it's like Pitfall and Pitfall II... but it's a great game that I enjoy playing nonetheless.

Wow... time to so some online shopping! I'm liking the RPGs list for the 2600!

I won't include protos... I can't play them, then there's no point putting them on a play list.

If we're including protos I'd suggest:

In Search of the Golden Skull: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/goldenskull/goldenskull.htm

Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell;

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/lotr/lotr.htm

Nahh... no protos need apply... unless they can be put on a cart and sent to me. :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

What the hell is Catacombs Of Chaos?! and you can have protos put on cart, I have plenty of them including LOTR (which was a long time holy Grail for me)! and the Mattel D&D titles have never been dumped right? or am I missing something?

13 hours ago, Raspookin said:

What the hell is Catacombs Of Chaos?! and you can have protos put on cart, I have plenty of them including LOTR (which was a long time holy Grail for me)! and the Mattel D&D titles have never been dumped right? or am I missing something?

Where did you get LOTR?