IGNORED

Reaperman rambles on about the classics.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

About 10 years ago I made a GBA wireless dueling set for hurricane preparedness, of all things...and never even tested it out before today.  I shot this video mostly to test out my new camera. It's still a bit of a noisy potato, but it's a 1080p/60 potato, which is actually an upgrade from the above vid.  (at least it thinks it is)

• 4 weeks later...

I found myself some motivation this weekend, and for whatever reason decided to waste it on youtube.  For the first time am releasing four videos over four days--I will probably never be this motivated to create youtube videos ever again. ;)

1. Omega MVS Unibios/VMC upgrade and usage (this morning's)
  2. 'Play Limit' token-based game timer/parenting aid (probably 'the big' video)
  3. Raphnet/NTT Data Controller usage on Analogue Interactive's NT Mini 
  4. The Epyx 500XJ, the best pre-crash controller, and its new-found relevance thanks to NT Mini
  5. and I'll probably also do a stand-alone gba screen brightness comparison video as found in the above gba vid

Today's:

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 weeks later...

My first non-video-game video where I mod a giant boardgame pawn for silly reasons. 

And I'm currently uploading a video about me tracking down 4+ frames of lag I'd introduced into my CRT setup. Yes, CRTs can lag too!

Edited by Reaperman

Here's a weird PSone-specific controller that took me years to find (thread link), becoming a weird 'Holy Grail' for me.  And yes, like a lot of rare things, it kind of sucks ;) 

Here's some weird mystery-pirate Sega Saturn Games I thrifted back in '03-04--and later on in the video the $4(!) modified saturn that plays them.

I've been testing and massaging my capture/stream setup a bit and the first video on it is Blazing Star, where I tell you all about how to die on the 4th level and not finish the game.

Other upcoming videos:

Virtua Racing on Genesis (slowly uploading now)

My Genesis MAS controller

My Neo Geo MAS controller

The controller videos are somewhat relevant as the couple behind MAS died earlier this year, unfortunately.  It was amazing to think of a time when sticks of that quality were marketed on such a scale.  I'd also never heard of playing arcade games on a TV before reading about the MAS Supernova in the magazines of the day. I believe this was before the word 'supergun' even came into usage (no idea where 'supergun' comes from).  I never knew the MAS folks, but I feel their contribution to high-end video gaming has to be repeated enough that it becomes recorded history. 

Edited by Reaperman

Not a MAS stick, though I had believed so for 15+ years, I did some research, and here's everything I know about the 'Superstick' including a tour inside, pictures of all 3 other ones that google currently knows about as well as a scan for a magazine ad.  For any fans of MAS, a video of a real one (my neo geo MAS) is uploaded and comes out tomorrow morning.

Still, if anything, these are now a bit more interesting to me, since they're a pretty similar concept, but are not a household name.

Edited by Reaperman

I've been going a bit nuts on the channel lately.

Evercade overview, enduro on 2600, and my custom colt 45/billy dee williams stick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also here's a link to tomorrow's video on knockoff mvs carts, premiers on 5/31/2021, so not live yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeez, do ALL dvd recorders add 4-5 frames of lag?  Attempt #2 with a Sony goes even more poorly than with the Samsung, as not only did it add lag, it also messes (heavily) with the output video.

here's one of my absolute favorite arcade racers--this one's from Disney about 10 years ago.

And for an exercise in 'things that are hard to film' I attempted to do my favorite VFD game, Amidar

The Emtec Gembox!  The game system of 'grandma didn't get you quite what you asked for, did she?'

It comes with Gamefly pre-loaded--because that's somehow still 'a thing.'

Guncon adapter, and alternatives

Edited by Reaperman

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered this. Pretty cool stuff, bud.

I wish I got into the MAS Systems sticks. When they 1st came out my friend had one with a Happ perfect 360 stick in it and I hated it. Im more of a Happ Competition guy myself. But I didnt know that was what the issue was with that particular custom made stick back then. I understand now that my friend was an idiot and ordered an NFL Blitz stick for his fight stick. Still, Its crazy to see how popular they have become, but, they were born out of that OG California FGC Clique. 

That PSOne monitor is dope too. I had that and the rechargeable battery and we would take Tekken 3 into mcdonalds or wherever and play it at the table. It blew peoples minds back then. Later Gamecube had a similar setup, only with wavebirds there were no wires at all.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Today's video is about the MCC-TV, an oddball little FPGA system from some time ago with a price under $100.

Its C64 core's image is awfully brown, and there are a *lot* of confusing UI choices. I sure had a day of fun messing with it, but I'd hesitate to recommend it, especially with today's other FPGA options--granted none compete with it on price. 

• 4 weeks later...

In this one I focus a bit on moon patrol--one of my A8 favorites. Heck I even like this version more than the arcade original, or the later grapics upgrade hack. I believe this game was only commercially available as a cart(?) though I vaguely recall having a couple pirated disk versions of the 5200(?) version converted to A8 as a kid.

And today, I have a look at the Moon Patrol Redux hack for a8. Just looking at the thumbnails you can see a lot of the differences.

In the first video, I mentioned that I didn't like Redux as much as the original--this is still true, for nostalgic reasons. But if I were showing off a8's 'moon patrolling' skills to somebody else, I would only show off Redux every day of the week. Just look at how much closer those graphics are to the arcade:

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A big cruis'n blast livestream. This is the HQ version that was locally saved...and of course youtube still managed to compress it until it looked pretty bad anyway. I can't really blame them, it was 34gb, and my viewcount isn't hugely marketable.

And after the stream, there were some sudden and unexpected changes to my household cat situation. Out on my nightly walk, between rain showers, the wife and I came across a pair of young, soaking wet cats, one of which appeared to have been hit by a car. That one's still getting worked on medically, but may not be in that bad of shape, and the other one we kidnapped, and it's living in my gameroom until it gets properly introduced to my regular cat (who is not thrilled about the situation). We've got feelers out for owners, but both were soaked, unfixed, unchipped, and the houses on that street corner hadn't seen the cats before.

Edited by Reaperman

• 4 weeks later...

For once I treated myself to the big expensive Neo Geo version of something. The differences between it and the genesis version are subtle (outside of the obvious arcade-related stuff, attract mode, hi score, credits, etc)

The biggest difference I've seen is a scaling effect on level 2's drop-in spiders, and I keep going back and forth on if I'm even seeing it because it's so quick.

and yes, bugs exist in this version. I go over that too.

Edited by Reaperman

• 4 weeks later...

Today I show off my weird Dell D-series gaming setup. Hopefully I inspire others to see how hard bland office workstations can game. ?

Then for tonight's gaming session I have a look at Xeno Crisis, this time it's the Evercade version, where it's my favorite game on the system.