IGNORED

Reaperman rambles on about the classics.

Mmm. I’ve rather eschewed portable gaming over the past years. Especially something that’s DRM.

I mean I used to love taking my games on the road with me. Was a novelty of coolness. But we grow up. Eventually it became chore packing all the paraphernalia. And eventually gaming itself morphed into a distraction.

Not a fan of all the differing controls and profiles. Have enough to stay on top of with general emulators.

I figure if I’m gonna play I’m gonna want a grande’ experience.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really late to the party on The Last Squadron--it's shameful that I let an ABBUC winner fly under my radar for two years.

But here's the 2021 'Extended Edition' on MiSTer.  ABBUC version is of course free, extended edition digital version is $6.50

BTW, MiSTercades are back in stock, meaning this will be the last video of the setup running on my workbench.

I really like the recording style at (13:21)--with fullscreen game and a vertical wedge of the setup in action. A bit of a pain keeping the two videos in sync, but assuming the camcorder plays with my arcade cab's CRT, that's probably what I'll shoot for.  Nice that I'll finally be able to easily record gameplay from an arcade cab.

Here's my 'victim' cabinet that the MiSTercade's going into. I'll probably put it on a 2-to-1 JAMMA switcher to keep it 'technically still real,' or else that will really bug me.

LWwRqMAm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been playing with my MiSTercade which is installed in the above cabinet, and I've been doing recording tests of it.  There is no hdmi audio, because of how mistercade works, but I do have an input for analog audio--which for whatever reason has a background noise sounding like the Jetson's flying car. 🤣

I still haven't figured out how to tune it out, but I've got a couple options coming. Hopefully I'll be able to record and stream from this setup soon.

Here's two unlisted videos only difference between them is if the audio--internal capture, or external camera:

Internal capture is done via an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2--these have become quite cheap and can function either standalone, or tethered to a computer, making them a decent option. They also have an analog audio-in (intended to capture gaming headsets)

CfPiy73m.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Here is a tour of my downstairs gameroom, which is where I keep my physically larger setups.

This is the first one of these I've done, but I hear some people really like these vids.

I'm honestly not the hugest fan of the tour genre, but sometimes I see neat stuff in the background of them.

It feels a little embarrassing running around showing off a room in my house.

I wouldn't be embarrassed. I mean a room is a room, 4 walls a floor a ceiling.. And the games that get stuffed in there.. Well one c64 is like the next c64. An Apple II is an Apple II. We've all seen it all before. The uniqueness IMHO comes in the pickins'. The variety of items - the variations and combinations of titles. The arrangement and how it's all hooked up matters too. Stories behind certain items. Provenance. That's interesting.

Because once a room is converted to or assigned "retro". Then yup we've seen it all.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

My 'Jetson's car' audio problem is solved on MiSTercade recordings.

Just took a cheapo ground loop isolator. Don't tell any of the audiophiles in the room--they really don't like them.

But it can't butcher the sound any worse than my 4" mono arcade speaker 😂

iCkIUxht.png

Things that didn't fix it:

• ferrite chokes
  • double-shielded audio cable
  • regulated/stable usb power bank

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I hear youtube is all about "#shorts" for tiktok-ing or flip-flopping or whatever the kids are using these days.

I decided to make one, at great personal misery to see if I get magical internet-clout. I have a feeling these videos are easy to make with cell phones and an app, but I have neither handy, so I turned my camcorder sideways and made sure to shake it around to simulate the effect 🤣

It's a REAL pain in the butt getting editing software to go vertical, I had to start new projects and rendering presets, etc.

I may pull this one down or private it if it gets too much flack from evercade fans. My deleted post above was basically me deciding not to show folks how to make this device, since it could ruin things, but I've still decided to show it off, since I did make it, and all.

edit:

holy jeez, that "#short" was good for a 10min blast of the youtube firehose. Got 500 views and 5 subscribers in that time and then abruptly dropped off, but it's still doing better than the rest of my channel combined.  For the record, most of my videos get 10-100 views in their first year. My guess is maybe the mobile app has a 'new video' feed and I was close to the top for a few minutes.  Lots of thumbs-downs (20👍, 6👎), so I have a feeling it was a general audience and not one that's ever heard of Evercade.

rSf6XRsm.png

(embiggen)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1