IGNORED

GTIA music

xxl

There may be a ram under rom situation for the 800 and possible other issues for it such as....

If you don't get sound on the 800, make sure the internal speaker(key click) has not been disconnected or hasn't failed over the years. The speaker is not the loudest thing.

Pretty sure the key clicker (beeper) output can be injected back in to the audio path that the XL/XE did later on, there is also room to add a better speaker with small amp circuit within the 800, the idea floated around to do this for a kind of stereo sound or to use it as a surprise noise or explosion generator in some games..

From what I am reading, this is what is being done but on a faster and better method than previous implementation. I could be wrong, but I would say this...

It's wonderful and I'd love to see and here more, don't let anybody or their expressed thoughts keep you from doing what you do, I enjoy it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Jon's speaker is in great shape :) very nice. I got a giggle when the search for speaker camera pan happened, I think we mixed up our left and right for a split second. It's good you did that. It helps individuals know right where to listen for it.

We really need more runs of the first incognito...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Bon Appetit

So because the screen is blanked, and because it is a 1 bit sound sample, I'm assuming that we've got some fairly fast updates going on. Do you happen to know what the sample rate is, and if it is using a hardware timer to achieve it, or if it is basing the timing on instruction cycle times?

You don't have to sell this method to me (using the GTIA as an output device) but would it have any advantages over using a POKEY channel as the output device for a single 4-bit waveform? I'd have to think that with 4 bits, the sample rate could be lowered to some degree and match the same perceived quality level.

BTW: I really liked the second audio file you posted, I think it was storm? It sounded just like POKEY output. I had to check to make sure that I was being deceived!

Edited by jmccorm