IGNORED

CFFA3000 PREORDERS OPEN AS OF 3PM TODAY!

eightbit

The one thing where I think the Floppy Emu has an advantage is in games that require a lot of disk flipping. I was trying to play Competition Karate the other night (one of my favorites from my youth) and it was *torture* on the CFFA3000. Maybe there's some shortcut that I don't know about, but it seems like the only way to "flip" a disk in the CFFA3000 is to cmd-shift-esc, select the CFFA3000, select "assign disk II volumes", select side 2 of the disk, select drive 1, then esc, select quit without rebooting, and select quit from the control panel menu to get back to the game. That's a pain in the ass to do even once, and Competition Karate and some other games like it require you to do it over and over.

This was annoying but not such a hassle with an actual physical disk. It was a lot quicker.

Some games also don't let you get into the control panel menu to select the CFFA3000 to eject the disk. I'm not sure what to do in those situations.

With the Floppy Emu, I think this same thing is accomplished with 2 or maybe 3 button presses. It's been a while since I used mine, but I'm pretty sure you just press a button to eject the first side image, then select the second side image from the list (which should be just below it, unless you have some crazy naming scheme). In this case, it's an advantage to have an external device with its own screen and controls.

Again, please do tell me if there's some shortcut way of doing this on the CFFA3000, because I've decided I just can't play games like Competition Karate with this card otherwise. It's too painful.

In other situations, though, you're right that the CFFA3000 is a better experience than the Floppy Emu. I still think the Floppy Emu is a great device, though.

This is what the CFFA3000 remote switch is intended for. If you add each disk to the Disk ][ assignment screen, you can cycle to the next disk by pressing the respective button on the remote. So advancing to the next disk (in a set of disks) usually requires only one push of a button.

• Like 1

This is what the CFFA3000 remote switch is intended for. If you add each disk to the Disk ][ assignment screen, you can cycle to the next disk by pressing the respective button on the remote. So advancing to the next disk (in a set of disks) usually requires only one push of a button.

I thought the remote only let you switch between disk 1 and disk 2 (that's what's printed on the buttons). I confess I never really understood what the remote was really useful for, and everybody says it's not necessary on the IIGS because you have menu access. Will it really let you switch to a different image in the *same* drive with the click of a button? That's what it does?

(Actually back and forth between two images, not just to the next image in the list.)

Edited by spacecadet

I thought the remote only let you switch between disk 1 and disk 2 (that's what's printed on the buttons). I confess I never really understood what the remote was really useful for, and everybody says it's not necessary on the IIGS because you have menu access. Will it really let you switch to a different image in the *same* drive with the click of a button? That's what it does?

(Actually back and forth between two images, not just to the next image in the list.)

I must confess to not using my remote very often - but from what I remember you can load multiple disk images for drive 1 and 2 and pressing the drive 1 button will switch to the next image in the list for drive 1, and vice-versa for drive 2.

I must confess to not using my remote very often - but from what I remember you can load multiple disk images for drive 1 and 2 and pressing the drive 1 button will switch to the next image in the list for drive 1, and vice-versa for drive 2.

Ok I'll try it out. I'm still a little worried about the "next image in the list", because I need to go back and forth between two images (meaning backwards too). But maybe if I just make individual folders for games that require this with only two images in the folder, it'll just go back to the top of the list and work that way.

I have a remote but didn't bother hooking it up because I didn't see the point initially. But if it'll do this, then it's definitely worth having.

I'm still a little worried about the "next image in the list", because I need to go back and forth between two images (meaning backwards too). But maybe if I just make individual folders for games that require this with only two images in the folder, it'll just go back to the top of the list and work that way.

Take a look at page 7 of your Fine Manual (Figure 1: Selecting "Disk II Assignments" from the menu.). You can pick a set of disks to cycle through on drive 1, and a (potentially different) set of disks to cycle through on drive 2. That's what "Drive1" and "Drive 2" mean on your push buttons - "Drive 1" cycles through disks on the drive 1 list, and "Drive 2" cycles through disks on the drive 2 list. Folder membership doesn't mean anything - images can be assigned wherever they are on your USB or CF media. Only membership that you pre-populate on that configuration screen matters.

Take a look at page 7 of your Fine Manual (Figure 1: Selecting "Disk II Assignments" from the menu.). You can pick a set of disks to cycle through on drive 1, and a (potentially different) set of disks to cycle through on drive 2. That's what "Drive1" and "Drive 2" mean on your push buttons - "Drive 1" cycles through disks on the drive 1 list, and "Drive 2" cycles through disks on the drive 2 list. Folder membership doesn't mean anything - images can be assigned wherever they are on your USB or CF media. Only membership that you pre-populate on that configuration screen matters.

Ooooh thanks. Yeah I couldn't really figure out the point of having multiple images assigned to the same drive either. That makes a lot of sense.

I don't know why some people say (and I think Rich even says, somewhere, either on his site or in the manual) that the remote isn't useful for the IIGS. It most certainly is if it'll do this!

• 6 months later...