IGNORED

Horizon RAM disk help

Vorticon

On my TI, it has most of the basic programs I need like my menu, FunnelWeb, archiver, terminal emulator, disk utilities, etc. I used to keep one partition available for Infocom games given the random access required. And assembling/linking code has no equal in the TI world than a nice, fast RAMdisk. Just be sure you back up regularly!

• 1 year later...

I've only used my home-made RAM-disk to keep the SYSTEM.EDITOR, SYSTEM.COMPILER and SYSTEM.FILER when using the UCSD p-system. Since that operating system relies quite a lot on swapping these files in and out, it makes a big difference.

Only recently have I added two Horizon RAM-disks, but not done so much more than figuring out why the ROS 8.xx didn't support the p-system. Got it going, but I'm not doing much with my TI nowadays.

I started using the step by step for the 3000 and after finishing the power section it says 1. After verifying everything place the card with no chips into the PEB. And you should get led 1 lit but not led2. I confirmed that. Then it says 2. Place all support chips into the card but not the 11 ram chips..

Here is where I lost everything..

It doesn't say where to run Jumpers, as I see traces in the photo of lots of traces and it doesn't explain setting up the stacked 138 chips. But it goes on saying run the mem test..

So, yes I'm missing out. But why these docs have this step by step and is Missing so much.

I started using the step by step for the 3000 and after finishing the power section it says 1. After verifying everything place the card with no chips into the PEB. And you should get led 1 lit but not led2. I confirmed that. Then it says 2. Place all support chips into the card but not the 11 ram chips..

Here is where I lost everything..

It doesn't say where to run Jumpers, as I see traces in the photo of lots of traces and it doesn't explain setting up the stacked 138 chips. But it goes on saying run the mem test..

So, yes I'm missing out. But why these docs have this step by step and is Missing so much.

Is yours a 3000 or the 3000b ? I do have one of each and can see what I can find out.

Thanks. Well that's a good question. Lol seems it was a HRD+. With an update to it..and the board layout looks just like the 3000 board. I believe Chris said to just remove everything and start over. Which was probably the best thing! That's when I couldn't find good docs.

I'll attach photos here after I get kids off to school. Thanks

Edited by GDMike

This is now the basic board and it does get led 1 lit when placed in the PEB.

Thanks on the help in advance. I'm not a super wiz at reading schematics. But I'm ok and there is some sloppy soldering here, but there was a reason as I only wanted to tack parts and not make them permanent to save wear on the board in case someone said, oh don't use that component, use this one etc..sorry to make it look sloppy but I'll clean it up as we determine it's a permanent thing.

post-63012-0-20096600-1557148011_thumb.jpg

The ic list that I have left over after removing everything:

U2 74LS154. U3 2 stacked 62256LP-12

U4 2 stacked HM62256LP-12

U5 1 ea M5M5256P-15

U6 1 ea CXK58256P-12

U7 1 ea D43256A-85L

U8 1 ea D43256AC-85L

U9 2 stack 74LS259

U11 1 ea HM6264LP-12

U12 3 stack HM62256LP-12

U13 1 ea D43256A-85L

U14 M5M5256BP-15L

U15 1 ea M5M5256BP-15L

U16 1 ea D43256C-12L

U17 1 ea D43256C-12L

U18 1 ea SN74LS156N

U19 1 ea 74LS138

U20 3 stacked 74LS138

U21 1 ea 74LS144

U22 1 ea 74LS244

U23 1 ea 74LS245

post-63012-0-07629700-1557150618_thumb.jpg

Edited by GDMike

Thanks. Well that's a good question. Lol seems it was a HRD+. With an update to it..and the board layout looks just like the 3000 board. I believe Chris said to just remove everything and start over. Which was probably the best thing! That's when I couldn't find good docs.

I'll attach photos here after I get kids off to school. Thanks

Have you looked at the 3000 information that Theirry Nouspikel put out, this may give some guidance? http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/horizon.htm

also some more info http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224208-horizon-hrd-ramdisk-debugging-repair/

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets%20and%20manuals/Hardware/Horizon%20-%20Bud%20Mills%20Services/ use anonymous as the user name, no password

and there was a change in 1988 that may have some bearing, find attached.

HORIZON CHANGE NOTICE.pdf

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

Thanks Ricky, I have I'm pretty sure seen every doc out there..they all pretty much start setting up the card with a list of parts, getting power configured and what chips to use etc.. and pictures..BUT I'm not finding exact trace wire-wrap runs (only ram is shown), and some boards have traces running to the edge connector and some photos without. I'm just confused on trying to read what chip does what and when and what revision..I can't seem to be able to keep all that straight. I am fine if someone gives me a layout of wiring runs, but not to good at following the schematic, unless I had a large white board and then laying everything out, but it's way too much work for a final report that may, no, Probably will not work due to some reason or another. I would think that if I knew what chips we're installed, and the wiring (physical) of pin to pin. And other Jumpers thant run to like the junction ports etc..If any of that makes sense? And I'm not in a hurry as I'm rebuilding a car at the same time, and like you said you're at work. So I understand where you are coming from. I would be fine as one step at a time to make sure I'm not wasting anyone's time here. Oh the fun. I'd love to get it working since I'm trying to write some forth code using a PEB that uses the 1mb sAMS card and the ramdisk just makes it so much nicer to code.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

Okay here are some pics of what I have, some are operational, some not so much, but getting there slowly. It seems as pic 004 and 005 are the closest to your version, they were created in 1988. 004 is however needing reconstruction as it had leaking batteries from 17 years of storage.

post-41593-0-51193500-1557235082_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-06152800-1557235089_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-61786500-1557235097_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-35332000-1557235110_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-61218400-1557235117_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah nice boards! I believe like someone once said I have a HRD+ with all kinds of mods. And without schematics its very difficult. I think the color of the boards say something too. I believe there are serials on the boards. I appreciate your efforts here.

Edited by GDMike

Yeah nice boards! I believe like someone once said I have a HRD+ with all kinds of mods. And without schematics its very difficult. I think the color of the boards say something too. I believe there are serials on the boards. I appreciate your efforts here.

Okay, gotcha. If you have the manual for that board, you should be able to strip it to the base components, then start back per the instructions to bring it back to that level at least.

I don't know the mods as they weren't a concern of mine at the time(long story). I can look for the HRD+ manual and then can go through it step by step with you, till we get it there.

It will take some time, as I work and this is my medium for communication at the time, until I get home in the evenings. But this is very doable.

My boards don't have serials any more due to the process I used to clean years of trash off them after pulling them from storage (dishwasher) as they were bad.

This explains the discoloration of the boards also(to hot).

Cool beans. Yup. At this point I'm interested in finding a board with the address switch rt next to the 74LS138 3-stack. You will know it when you see it. Lol its going to be the brain for this board because it does all the addressing for the memory space. Take you're time..you are doing me a favor,!!

Cool beans. Yup. At this point I'm interested in finding a board with the address switch rt next to the 74LS138 3-stack.

Here are some pics of a HRD+, that I got from an individual at one time. Keep in mind that the added wires are placed there, to support the chip stacking. The ram disk probably started out as a 384k for example and in this pic was taken to a higher capacity, so the wires were added to route the signals. I have also printed out the manual for my use if needed.

post-41593-0-70359700-1557319672_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-28350700-1557319689_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-94353600-1557319714_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-65653000-1557319730_thumb.jpg

Note, as previously stated--and even more obvious when looking at all of the pictures now in this thread (thanks everyone), your board is an HRD+. If it won't build as an HRD+, there is probably a broken trace or a bad solder joint on the board somewhere. It is also remotely possible that there is a bad component, but as the board fires up without any of the chips installed, that tells us the problem will likely be somewhere in the support logic area. If you try to build it as a 3000, you are doomed to failure, as there are a lot of differences between those boards.

One note for those with HRD3000 boards--I have lots of the normally unobtainium 74LS154s in the .300 DIP variety. .600s are easy to find, but the .300s are not often to be found.

• Like 1

Ricky, I have U19 as a 138. Is that what that is, otherwise it looks like the board. Its gonna be hard to see, but maybe you have docs, but I need the wiring pin layout on upper to lower to lower on U20. And wiring from pin to pin on all jumpers..its a lot

Thanks