IGNORED

What were your "system seller" games this generation?

Like it says on the tin, I was wondering what games sold you on dropping the big $$$ for a home console or handheld this generation? Were there any system exclusive titles that made you just have to run out and buy the hardware to play them on?

Personally the only modern system I own at the moment is a New 3DS XL, which I wanted mainly to play Star Fox 64 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, and Pokémon Ultra Sun. I have been contemplating getting either a Nintendo Switch or an Xbox One S later this year though, mostly just to play DOOM. Right now the only system exclusive game I'm really interested in for current gen home consoles is Super Lucky's Tale (and I suppose The Last Guardian, though not quite enough to make me want to spend the money on a PS4) so whether I end up with a Switch or an Xbox One S will probably just come down to adorable foxy platforming versus having the option to play games on the go. It won't be an easy choice. :lol:

Edited by Jin

I realized because of this thread I don't really buy systems because of games anymore..if I did I'd probably own a PS4 rather than a Switch. I bought one because I've liked the idea of a hand-held and home console hybrid since I had the desire to play my 3DS on my TV. I just hoped the good games would follow and luckily they have.

The Uncharted series was my PS3 system seller.

• Like 1

I got a PS4 originally for Silent Hills whenever it was going to be released... But now it's going to be for Death Stranding instead. The upside is I was able to download and play PT. The downside is I have to wait for a long time. I think the only exclusive I have and like is that one Earth Defense game, but it is probably my favorite of the series. The Last of Us remaster was good until it forced you into a lengthy skirmish while keeping the game mechanics that discouraged engaging in skirmishes. I do have a decent amount of games that aren't exclusives though.

Xbox One had Rare Replay and The Master Chief Collection. I still play those games pretty regularly. The system has really impressed me even if it may not be as powerful as the PS4. I've had a few quirks with my PS4 but none with my Xbox One.

Edited by xenomorpher

Breath of the Wild, that's it. As nice as Mario was as it is a change too, it's nowhere near as dramatic so it still feels a bit like more of the same. Zelda as far as buying them I was pretty much done on that, but having read about it while not reading into the details about it which could ruin things it seemed there was more there to it that screamed not another asinine new coat of paint on the same tired re-run. So so dramatically different and greatly encourages more and more play while not realizing you're throwing away so many hours because it's just that damn good.

It would be easy to throw another third party game or two out, but I can't think of anything that truly stand out by a long shot.

My 8th generation system was a new mid-range NVIDIA card that handles 1080p (had to buy a new PC when my old one blew out after installing the card :P) .

I wanted games like Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein: The New Order and of course the new DOOM. Also picked up the Shadow Warrior remake which was a pleasant surprise of how fun it was to play at only $20.

Later on I planned on getting an Xbox One after seeing how I could stream (exclusive) console games down to my PC but still trying to get my fiances straight before I do get one as well as in-home network wiring.

And of course the huge 50Gb download sizes of these games made me look for DVD copies from the Best Buy site but I ended up getting them right off Steam after the eventual price drops, so glad I don't have data caps late at night...

Xbone: Cuphead and Crackdown 3. Cuphead is harder than I'd like, and Crackdown 3 isn't out yet. Good job, me.

Atari Lynx: APB, STUN Runner.

Everything else: some promise of Wipeout, Star Wars, or Mario games, but it's not really about "system sellers" for me anymore, it's ecosystem.

I really should stop. Mobile and PC are more than plenty for my free time and attention span.

I really should stop. Mobile and PC are more than plenty for my free time and attention span.

I know the feeling. I have plenty of free time, and between the retro systems I already have EverDrives for and my Wii and 3DS I probably have enough stuff to play to last a lifetime; but that still doesn't stop me from wanting to play some modern stuff now and again. I actually took the time to write up a little list earlier this evening of all the games that I know I'd 100% for sure purchase if I got an Xbox One S, along with their prices (used and CIB in the case of physical games) and install sizes so I could figure out whether or not to go with a 500 GB model or if I'd need one with a 1 TB hard drive. What I learned is that everything I'd like to play is pretty affordable and the total install sizes for everything adds up to around 287 GB, so a 500 GB would be fine for my wants. The list is in the spoiler tag below for those curious.

Xbox One Physical Games of Interest

Alien: Isolation (24.41 GB) - $12

DOOM (58.79 GB) - $12

Mortal Kombat XL (About 42 GB w/ DLC) - $17

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (9.48 GB) - $17

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 + Arcade Game Series (2.27 GB) - $17

PAW Patrol: On a Roll (Not yet released. Don't judge me! :lol:)

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Gold Edition (About 27 GB w/ DLC) - $36

Resident Evil: Revelations (11.96 GB) - $14

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (About 15 GB w/ DLC) - $10

Rise of the Tomb Raider (51.08 GB) - $15

Sonic Forces (16.12 GB) - $24

Super Lucky's Tale (8.45 GB) - $20 New

Xbox One Digital Games of Interest

Armello (1.78 GB) - $20

Fe (2.38 GB) - $20

Fox n Forests (Not Yet Released)

Never Alone: Arctic Collection (3.11 GB) - $18

Night in the Woods (6.85 GB) - $20

Raiden V (4.69 GB) - $30

Sonic Mania (0.11 GB) - $20

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (1.06 GB) - $20

Attention span has definitely been an issue for me too while pondering getting into the current generation of systems. A lot of the big budget system selling titles these days are designed to suck up 40 hours or more of time to complete, and at this point in my life it's pretty rare that I ever want to play anything that takes more than 20 hours to complete. I almost always find myself getting bored and moving onto something else around the 20 hour mark if the game is still dragging on at that point, which is why in spite of having played and enjoyed most of the previous generations' Mario and Zelda titles I have no interest at all in Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey. They're just too big of games for me.

And on that note, I've really come to love https://howlongtobeat.com for researching game length before I consider buying any modern titles. It's a great resource for figuring out just how much of a time sink any given game might end up being. :)

Edited by Jin

Remember that disk sizes are never as big as they're advertised, and the OS takes a chunk of it. I think you should get the minimum 500GB size, because you can always supplement it with cheap external storage.

Free time but not much money = good candidate for EA Access, which is $30/year for a ton of high quality games.

Haven't you already played DOOM elsewhere? It's also on Switch.

Remember that disk sizes are never as big as they're advertised, and the OS takes a chunk of it. I think you should get the minimum 500GB size, because you can always supplement it with cheap external storage.

Free time but not much money = good candidate for EA Access, which is $30/year for a ton of high quality games.

Haven't you already played DOOM elsewhere? It's also on Switch.

Good advice all around, though there's not much in the way of EA games that interest me (I think Fe is the only one) so I'd probably pass on the $30 a year for EA Access. And sadly no, I've yet to play 2016 DOOM on any platform. I was thinking of getting a Switch for it but after tacking on all the accessory costs the Switch ended up being more than I would have been able to spend at the time. I am still contemplating the Switch as a possibility, since I do like the portable aspect, but if I'm being honest with myself there's a lot more games I want to play on the Xbox One than the Switch and they'd be a lot easier on the wallet too.

It wasn't any game in particular, I just wanted an upgrade to the living room Wii because it felt like that system had been abandoned by Nintendo and 3rd parties. The Wii U didn't look promising, So I got a PS4 near launch, even though there weren't many games yet. I knew they'd be coming.

Good advice all around, though there's not much in the way of EA games that interest me (I think Fe is the only one) so I'd probably pass on the $30 a year for EA Access. And sadly no, I've yet to play 2016 DOOM on any platform. I was thinking of getting a Switch for it but after tacking on all the accessory costs the Switch ended up being more than I would have been able to spend at the time. I am still contemplating the Switch as a possibility, since I do like the portable aspect, but if I'm being honest with myself there's a lot more games I want to play on the Xbox One than the Switch and they'd be a lot easier on the wallet too.

Ah, I remember you've been interested in Doom 2016 for a while but didn't realize you haven't played it yet. As much as I like console gaming, that's probably best on a PC, but if you're watching your spend, the Xbone might be the best deal financially.

I bought the Switch because of Mario Odyssey and portability. First "modern" console I've gotten since the PS2. Plus, being mainly a classic gamer, I wanted to play something new, since I haven't in years. The Switch appeared at the right time. Playing Doom right now. I'm not very good at it.

• Like 2

Ah, I remember you've been interested in Doom 2016 for a while but didn't realize you haven't played it yet. As much as I like console gaming, that's probably best on a PC, but if you're watching your spend, the Xbone might be the best deal financially.

I actually went from playing it on a very well equipped to computer to the Switch, and it's actually a better game to me control wise using a controller. I found that whole thing kind of jarring, but I play it better using a controller. On the PC it almost seems too twitchy and clumsy too with the buttons needed to do things with such speed that game requires since it's very fast paced and stuff just doesn't die in one or two hits like old Doom. Being able to run about, instantly pull out and retract the chainsaw alone is a smoother process on a controller not to mention a few other functions. I think the game was designed with console in mind, maybe even as a lead off for all anyone but they know for sure.

Adding this for Recycled: I am not awesome at it either, the game is just straight up hard, even on easy. If you attempt to at all play it like the last 3 games of the franchise you're smoked. You have to be very deliberate, very fast, don't think much about things, and worry less in a way about ammo since you need to chainsaw to get all your firepower refilled from those insane drops as there's just not enough in the stages eventually to survive.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

There really were no system seller games for me this gen, even though I own every current-gen system. I bought an Xbone S because of 4K Blu-Ray. Bought a PS4 because I liked the PS3 and expected more of the same. Bought a Switch because it has an interesting form factor and I wanted to check that out.

There aren't that many games on any of them that I'm really in love with, though. This generation has been more about killing time than actually enjoying anything new and exciting, for me at least.

And of course the huge 50Gb download sizes of these games made me look for DVD copies from the Best Buy site but I ended up getting them right off Steam after the eventual price drops, so glad I don't have data caps late at night...

If you have a 4.7GB DVD version you still have to download the rest of the 50GB.

This is a difficult question for me to answer because it takes several games and a good outlook before I invest in a system. I am rarely an early adopter. The Switch was kind of an exception. While BOTW looked impressive to me, I am still catching up on the older games. With the Switch, I got it earlier since money had come in from my second job, and I just happened to be in a Walmart at the right time back when they were still pretty hard to find.

Now there may be games coming out that I want really play, even though they are not out yet when I buy the system. For the PS4, that was Persona 5 and the up and coming Ni no Kuni sequel.