IGNORED

What were your "system seller" games this generation?

I got my Xbox One for Fallout 4, the new Forza games, and a better version of GTA V. Another reason was the fact that it's an excellent streaming box. I also chose it over the PS4 at the time because I got a crazy deal on it; 500GB Gears of War version, Fallout 4, Mighty No. 9, and Dragon Age: Inquisition (I think) for $190 brand new.

I got the Switch to play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey just like everyone else. :lol:

I still don't have a PS4, but I'm ok with that, because I'm still enjoying my PS3.

It was King of Fighters 14 for the Playstation 4 and Killer Instinct for the Xbox One. I've been buying a LOT of fighting games in this console generation, and I've been satisfied with most of them. Even Street Fighter V started out kind of crappy but improved over time. Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite... seems to be a lost cause.

• 2 weeks later...

I won my PS4 in a contest, but I had a choice between it and Xbone. I guess what made me choose it was Disgaea 5 and Japanese games in general.

The Etrian Odyssey series sold me on 3DS. Not quite a current system anymore though, but there's supposedly one more Etrian coming to it, so it's not dead yet.

Vita is also not really a current system, but I guess I should mention it. Mostly I just got it for playing PSP games that I missed out on due to not having a PSP. >_>

A Rule that has always served me well in buying a new console is "Three Great Games" / "Three Must Have Games".

It has kept me from a few questionable purchases, and the times I have gone against the rule, I have regretted it and ended up with a system collecting dust.

For the Xbone, for me, I kind of skirted the rule a bit. I wanted the upgraded Borderlands Handsome Collection (though all those games were on the 360), the Rare Replay set, Defense Grid 2, and Killer Instinct. I also was curious about Doom and Mortal Kombat X (especially after they dropped the 360 / PS3 version).

Initially, I was very disappointed. The lack of playable demos is a HUGE step backwards from the 360.

But that said, the number of available download games (as mentioned above, the ACA Neo series is amazing) has made this a very good system to have.

It's all about what you like. I don't do online gaming or have a Gold account, so a lot of what comes out just passes me by. Or is too hard since I'm old (Cuphead! Though this game is still entertaining, I just play the first few levels on the easiest setting, and if I fail to progress oh well, sure looks great).

But back to my main rule, I recommend making sure there are Three games you're basically dying to get your hands on for it before buying a new system.

It has so far kept me from the Switch; I'd love to play Arms and Ultimate Street Fighter, but nothing else really tags me. Plus Capcom's releasing a big SF Anniversary in May that ought to keep me happy (finally SFAlpha 2 for a system more modern than the Saturn!).

Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a current gen system! Like Curious Sofa there were three games in particular that I really wanted to play: DOOM, Resident Evil VII: Biohazard, and Super Lucky's Tale. Since the latter of the three is only available on Xbox One I ended up picking up a new in box 1TB Xbox One S bundle with PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds from an authorized Microsoft distributor for $191 shipped when eBay was having it's big site wide 20% off sale the other day.

I bought a copy of Super Lucky's Tale new from Target for $20 to support the developer and picked up a used copy of DOOM for $15 shipped on eBay, but I'm going to wait until I finish those two before I buy Resident Evil VII: Biohazard Gold Edition. In the meantime I'll be reselling the download code for PUBG once the Xbox arrives in the mail, since online multiplayer games aren't really my thing.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with my choice. With the Xbox One S I'll be able to play all the current generation games that interest me at a really affordable price, and I'm sure looking forward to getting it in the mail. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Not saying you should buy on rumor as well but I definitely put more thought into buying my XBone. when they started to tout backwards compatibility that was like a moment to still enjoy some older games while also having access to new. Now I am down to wondering which original Xbox games they might bring to the plate as Knights of the Old Republic and Fuzion Frenzy are surely worth owning the Xbone upgrade graphics for.

Doom and RE7 were definitely a much needed return to form in my opinion. I think you'll be very happy with them. They're my favorites in their respective franchise.

From everything I've seen about them I think I'm going to have an awesome time with Doom ans RE7 too, they look fantastic. I'm also really looking forward to finally playing the Tomb Raider reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider! At this point I've played through and beaten every single game in the Tomb Raider series except for Angel of Darkness on the PS2 (I passed on that one since everyone said it was rubbish) and the two newest games, so I'll definitely have to give the new ones a go.

The same for Mortal Kombat XL and Resident Evil: Revelations 2. The idea of playing Mortal Kombat as the Alien or Predator is way too awesome to resist, and even though RE: Revelations 2 may not be quite as nice of a return to form as RE7 I still can't pass up the opportunity to play a RE game as Barry. He's been my favorite RE character ever since the original game on the PS1. :lol:

Not saying you should buy on rumor as well but I definitely put more thought into buying my XBone. when they started to tout backwards compatibility that was like a moment to still enjoy some older games while also having access to new. Now I am down to wondering which original Xbox games they might bring to the plate as Knights of the Old Republic and Fuzion Frenzy are surely worth owning the Xbone upgrade graphics for.

That was another feature that sold me on an Xbox too! There's a pretty robust list of backwards compatible games at this point and I think the only game I missed on the 360 that hasn't been made backwards compatible yet and I still want to play is Dust: An Elysian Tail. I'm especially excited to finally play the original Dead Space (which I picked up a CIB copy of from Half Price Books for a paltry $7 yesterday), since I loved Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii and the two Dead Space animated films. I'm really looking forward to finally getting to play the original game in the series! I'll also have to pick up a copy of Doom 3: BFG Edition for the 360 at some point. Doom 3 is actually my favorite game in the entire series thus far (it struck just the right balance of action, suspenseful horror, and story telling for me) but I never got a chance to play the two expansion packs for it back in the day, so that'll definitely be something to look forward to. :)

Edited by Jin