IGNORED

Is this bad ram?

motonerve

I recently got a Sunnyvale sixer that was not working and after replacing the usual parts I brought it back to life... but I'm getting some weird issues that do not effect every game and the effects are different for each game they're happening on.

Examples I've found:

Seaquest, after a few seconds of play the ship will stop in place along with the torpedo, if I got a chance to fire one, but enemies keep moving and the ship will not explode when hit.

Frankenstein's Monster, works fine until the level that the bottom platform moves back and forth across the pit. When the platform hits the right side it gets stuck and jitters until a lightening strike happens.

River Raid, video example

I have not done a lot of testing yet, just got it out back together today, but other games I've tried seem to work without a hitch. So what might it be?

Edited by motonerve

• 1 year later...

I remember when I was a kid (back then you had to send your Atari in for repairs) and the RAM went bad on our system. Some games would play ok, while others did weird things like you described. On the blocky games, like Outlaw or Hangman, random pixels would appear on screen after the Atari had been on for a few minutes. But the weirdest behavior we encountered was on Space Invaders. The invaders would march across the screen at their slowest speed, regardless of how many invaders were left. The UFOs would keep coming out, even if there was only one invader left, so you could really rack up the points. But as soon as you killed that last invader, the screen would go black.

I wish Atari or some other company still creates the TIA/RIOT and CPU chips, so when something weird happens, then we just buy the chips and replace them if it got damaged, but then, I remember Atari 2600 was discontinued on January 1, 1992 and the only way to get parts is getting them from other damaged units, sad but true reality here ... :(

• 2 years later...