IGNORED

Unarchived Software

MrFish

• DOS XL - OSS

I'm wondering, did you buy your copy brand new? If so, did you get a copy of Bug/65 with it?

The version you posted (2.30p) has a later copyright date than the manual pictured below.

I'm assuming they would continue to distribute Bug/65 with it, but maybe not. Also, did you

get a copy of the manual similar to what's shown below?

post-6369-0-36300200-1524534489_thumb.png

post-6369-0-30516300-1524534496_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish

I'm wondering, did you buy your copy brand new? If so, did you get a copy of Bug/65 with it?

The version you posted (2.30p) has a later copyright date than the manual pictured below.

I'm assuming they would continue to distribute Bug/65 with it, but maybe not. Also, did you

get a copy of the manual similar to what's shown below?

Interesting. It has been so long that I can't remember actually how I acquired it. I believe I bought it from somebody else used.

You are right, the disks are version 2.30p which was the last release of DOS XL from OSS.

The manual I have has a different cover (with no reference to BUG/65) vs. the one you posted, but the inside cover page is identical to the one you posted (calling out 2.30, December 1983).

So the cover of mine says "DOS XL A Disk Operating System for Atari Computers". See pics below...

-Eric

post-38281-0-05741900-1524540147_thumb.jpg

post-38281-0-86895800-1524540162_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I dumped some more original/commercial disks via APE ProSystem...

The zip file includes the disk images (PRO files) and pictures of the physical disks (JPG files) for the following...

• Page6 - Synapse
  • SynAssembler - Synapse
  • WarpSpeed 6.6 - HCI
  • Super Clone - Frontrunner
  • Paperclip - Batteries Included
  • The Action Toolkit - OSS
  • DOS XL - OSS

-Eric

Here are ATR file versions of the same dumps...

ATRarchiveApr2218.zip

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the dumps and pics of your DOS XL manual. OK, so it wasn't included with your version.

Interesting info and nice to have this later version. I don't think I've seen it posted anywhere else before.

The DOS XL 2.30 version on my website was actually constructed from scratch, since there was no version

of it in the wild that reflected the contents as stated in the manual. I thought it might be possible that Bug/65

was originally distributed on a separate disk (no way to tell from the manual), after not seeing it on the disks

you posted. But now with your manual cover not showing it's inclusion, no further information to gain on that

here; but I still feel it was probably on the same disk with the DOS.

One thing I can conclude, though, is that I seemed to have missed the "sdcopy.com" program on my

constructed disk. It's in the manual, but I don't see it on the disk on my site after checking last night.

Apparently an oversight; although maybe it just wasn't available on the disks I had and just slipped by

unnoticed. At either rate, I'll be amending my disk (I'll doubt there were any changes to the "sdcopy.com"

program between versions) and adding an entry for the 2 disks that you've posted as well. So, thanks again

for your help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that Atarimania says this one as "missing original disk image"

I wasn’t sure if that meant the photo of the disk itself or a dump of the original commercial disk.

Either way, I have the original and I just made a dump of it using APE ProSystem. Both as a .PRO file and .ATR file.

So here is PROBE ONE by Synergistic Software... .ATR, .PRO and a .JPG photo of the physical disk.

-Eric

PROBE1.zip

• Like 1

Doesn't work in altirra, unless it's not supposed to?

Two things .... 1) it only runs on Atari 400/800 with 40k memory, and 2) it requires basic .

So in emulation you need to change to Atari 400/800 mode, and also attach basic to the cartridge. Then it will work fine.

It will also work on XL/XE machines if you first load a Translator, with basic on.

-Eric

• Like 1

Still no-go. I set altirra to OS-B, 40K, 400/800.. Eh, eventually it'll get figured out.

Go under "File" and then "Attach Cartridge..." and then ATARIBAS.ROM

Remember, the Atari 400/800 did not have basic built in, so you have to think about the emulation like you are inserting the Basic cartridge manually...just like on the real thing.

I think that's all you are missing.

-Eric

Yup, I neglected to say I had ATARIBAS.ROM attached. Still no.

If the disk is write-protected then Probe One hangs with a black screen.

Oh, and btw: The disk seems not to be protected.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just made archives off of my original disks for the Nite Lite BBS software ( by Paul Swanson in 1985 )

I haven't seen it archived anywhere else online, so I wanted to go ahead and upload it here.

I ran a BBS based on Nite Lite (which I subsequently modified, as most SysOps did back in the day) from around '86-'88. I had it set up using an ATR-8000, and also used the ramdisk called V:Handler which was also by Paul Swanson. It was cool because all of the menus and message bases were loaded into ramdisk.

-Eric

Thanks for sharing these, Eric! I also ran a NiteLite BBS in the late 80's that I bought/transferred from a friend who was the original owner. I started playing with this when I suddenly remembered that there was a joystick port dongle that was needed to run the system on the Atari. :) Such a crafty one, that one.

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, MrFish said:

Screenplay - Warriors of RAS, Dunzhin (Box, Manual, & Disk Scans)

Do you have a disk image, preferably a flux dump?

This is the first of the series and the only one which has no floppy dump on a8preservation.com, currently only a cassette dump.

Edited by BillC

23 minutes ago, BillC said:

Do you have a disk image, preferably a flux dump?

This is the first of the series and the only one which has no floppy dump on a8preservation.com, currently only a cassette dump.

11 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

He unfortunately does not. See first post of thread.

Yeah, I had already sold it a few years prior to starting this thread. It was imaged, but it was before I had my Happy Drive. I did the scanning before selling it too...

It's a pretty rare item. Atarimania lists it and the cassette as Rarity 8, but I think it's at least a rarity 9 or more for the disk.

The cracked image on Atarimania is from the image I made using a non-Happy drive -- and cracked by @DjayBee.

1 minute ago, MrFish said:

Yeah, I had already sold it a few years prior to starting this thread. It was imaged, but it was before I had my Happy Drive. I did the scanning before selling it too...

It's a pretty rare item. Atarimania lists it and the cassette as Rarity 8, but I think it's at least a rarity 9 or more for the disk.

The cracked image on Atarimania is from the image I made using a non-Happy drive -- and cracked by @DjayBee.

I know the MMG titles are rare, I have recently submitted flux dumps of original MMG DATA MANAGER and MMG INVENTORY v1.4 disks + scans/manuals(rarity 10) to a8preservation.com, and a flux dump of MMG BASIC COMPILER v2.0(rarity 9) was also recently submitted/reviewed as well.