IGNORED

OT: Oregon Trail handheld, Target store exclusive

Lathe26

I would check the video game / retro games section. On a Facebook post, someone said it isn't supposed to be for sale until May 1st, though I strongly suspect they meant March 1st since most stores these days don't let inventory sit in storage areas for so long.

Just so you know, it is not running an Apple //e emulator since there are more than 6 colors (ex: the rivers have several shades of blue, the Apple //e had only 1 in hi-res mode). Also, the audio is too advanced for the Apple //e and this handheld has an on-screen keyboard that the original version had no need for. It is likely running one of the later ports of the game, maybe from a later handheld. However, I just completed a run-through as a banker (i.e. easy mode) and it seemed overall faithful to the original game. The buttons are a little stiff but acceptable and may soften with usage.

• Like 2

Oh man, thanks for the heads up. So how is this running? It looks like the old Apple II version, rather than a remake. Cute touch making the system look like a Macintosh, too.

Yeah, to me, The Oregon Trail is firmly an Apple II game, so it's funny in a Macintosh-looking case.

That is so freakin' adorable.

I don't think it looks like a Macintosh, just a generic "old PC." Macs didn't let diskettes stick out like that, they had classy "auto-inject" motors that would pull the media inside the machine.

I wish I were a little bit younger, because I don't have the same nostalgia over Oregon Trail that some people do. That's OK, they can't enjoy Atari Flashback in the same way I do.

• Like 2

And now reddit user babaroga73 has linked back to this thread, referencing my comment about it not being an Apple 2 emulation. This "Inception" moment just made my day. ?

• Like 2

And now reddit user babaroga73 has linked back to this thread, referencing my comment about it not being an Apple 2 emulation. This "Inception" moment just made my day.

Yup. Something tells me the community of people talking and posting about this kind of thing is smaller than we might realize.

We're probably all related somehow.

• Like 1

It most definitely is a NOAC if you look at the maker. The Bridge Direct/Direct Fun are the guys who do those atari tabletop mini arcades that use the LCD screen but only at Walmart made this. They use NES/FC ROMs they tweak a bit in their line of arcade games so it appears there must be a 8bit version of the game, NES compatible in style and they threw it in there and created an old PC looking shell for it. I'd like to own this, $25 seems ok, but not the $40-45 they're trying to already sell it for on ebay.

It looks like the 1990 MS-DOS version based on the hunting part. And I think they were going for the old Macintosh look, although the disk drive is on the wrong side. All-in-one PCs weren't common in those days, IBM had one.

I can't decide if the "push the floppy disk in" is inspired or it was just designed by someone that has never seen a floppy drive..

I'll probably pick one up if I can find one at the end of March when I'm in California.

• Like 1

It looks like the 1990 MS-DOS version based on the hunting part. And I think they were going for the old Macintosh look, although the disk drive is on the wrong side. All-in-one PCs weren't common in those days, IBM had one.

I think you're right or at least really, really close. The graphics do mostly match the DOS version, though there is some pixel stretching going on that may be a result of the device's resolution. If it isn't the DOS version, it has to be a closely derived variant. I'll post photos tonight.

The device definitely has an old Mac look to it.

• Like 1

I'm getting one of these... it'll go with the other mini arcade games that have been coming out over the past year. Can't get enough of these... I quite collecting Star Wars and sold it all a few years ago so I need a new vice I suppose. lol At least these have some play value in addition to looking nice in a cabinet!

Oregon Trail... grade 5 and 6 I believe... we had one Apple at the back of the class and we each got a chance to play it during individual 'computer time'. lol Monochrome was beautiful! lol Really looking to play this one... never saw a colour version other than the DOS version that sat on a shelf in computer stores... at that point I'd give the game a nod in recognition but I wanted the new stuff for my pc then! lol

• Like 3

got mine

wife had to got to target for party stuff for my 3yr olds birthday on Sunday

so I asked her to get one

they are not out yet at our target but she asked them to get one from the back and they did

(we got the first one from our store they had to open a case to get it )

love my wife lol

like others have stated its not the apple version and not either of the commodore 64 versions

I have not played the ibm version

but it seems to me that its the apple version with custom sounds (sounds seem added )

EDIT:

it seems it is the dos version it uses the same color scheme and this

https://youtu.be/3Bgs9jfSo9k

post-63035-0-23857200-1519876754_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72

I count the screen resolution as 316 x 234. While I counted twice, I still could have miscounted, especially the vertical since I had to count a number of black

Anyways, here are photos comparing the actual device screen to the DOS version from an emulator (DOS version images from https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-oregon-trail-2ku). The DOS version looks like it ran at 320 x 200 pixels.

post-37124-0-50084000-1519883536_thumb.jpg post-37124-0-28348800-1519883543.gif

post-37124-0-65040700-1519883551_thumb.jpg post-37124-0-85922600-1519883560.gif

post-37124-0-82113600-1519883567_thumb.jpg post-37124-0-73007600-1519883576.gif

post-37124-0-14357000-1519883587_thumb.jpg post-37124-0-81205400-1519883596.gif

post-37124-0-10666900-1519883605_thumb.jpg post-37124-0-58843400-1519883610.gif

post-37124-0-63660500-1519883634_thumb.jpgpost-37124-0-01917700-1519883621_thumb.jpg post-37124-0-05437700-1519883641.gif

• Like 7