IGNORED

OT: Oregon Trail handheld, Target store exclusive

Lathe26

I think I found an immortality bug. After winning too easily as an East Coast Banker, I decided I would try to hunt my way across country with minimal investment at the start. After breaking two wheels and with nothing to trade, I found that if I simply waited nine days continuously in succession, and as long as I never tried to trade again, I would live forever at some spot along the trail. It seems only trading or movement invokes the sickness and hunger routines. This is of course a very boring approach, and I gave up somewhere in the 1870's.

I think I found an immortality bug. After winning too easily as an East Coast Banker, I decided I would try to hunt my way across country with minimal investment at the start. After breaking two wheels and with nothing to trade, I found that if I simply waited nine days continuously in succession, and as long as I never tried to trade again, I would live forever at some spot along the trail. It seems only trading or movement invokes the sickness and hunger routines. This is of course a very boring approach, and I gave up somewhere in the 1870's.

Cool bug! So your characters sat still for 22 years. Impressive.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

If one joins a forum solely to critique grammar, perhaps said grammarian should not make a dozen grammatical errors in his (or her) response.  Capitalization is not a myth; small numbers should be spelled. And said writer absolutely should not mix the English language with programming operators. 

In other news, I'm fascinated that this handheld exists.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

In other news, in the time since this was written, DOOM and MARATHON are supported on iOS again, which is infinitely more interesting and important than correcting my grammar from five months ago. 

How did I not know Marathon was on iOS?  I am gobsmacked. I finished all those games back in the day.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's at Amazon.com now. I'm curious as to whether the "Target Exclusive" was always a temporary arrangement, or maybe there's some odd copyright loophole (or whatever rules or regulations apply) because it's "educational".  However, now over $36, not $8 anymore. My nephew is having a birthday (poor kid narrowly escaped not having a b-day party last year, fortunately it was moved up for various reasons, got his party last year)  Also, the unit is made in the shape of a mac, that suggests a Mac plus emulator, although DOS seems a lot more logical, despite the variant screen resolution.  Actually, is there a full "emulator" running at all? Would it be Open Source? Could other simple low memory programs be loaded in the place of this title? I'm dying to find out. Maybe I'll buy two!

Perhaps the units you find on Amazon are leftover stock that others picked up when Target had a clearance sale and now are reselling for what they think those ought to cost?

As to what is inside, I found a Hackaday article where user comments point to it being a Famicom-on-a-chip and what looks like a PC DOS version of the game would be a modified NES version (just as mentioned a number of times earlier in this thread, so nothing new under the sun). I don't know to which extent this is true vs speculation back when it was new, but in that case you're more likely to be able to hack it running NOAC implementations of e.g. Intellivision games (my speculation) than DOS games.

Edited by carlsson