IGNORED

Creating ATR files from Atari disks?

JohnW

Hi I would like to get some tips as to how to create ATR files from an Atari floppy disk. I was able to find a couple of game I wrote back in then (Android Attack and Green Goblins both of which were Basic games) and then ran them using an Atari emulator on Windows as well as an Android.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-android-attack_266.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-green-goblins_2304.html

Recently I dragged out my Atari 800 and 810 drives and hooked it up to a monitor. I have a couple disks that have some of my other games I wrote and would love to have them also available to show my grandkids on my Android tablet.

So what is the process that is used to do this? Is there someone that has a setup that could do this for me as I would submit them to the library for others to use.

John

As it was said, you can hook any of the SIO virtual devices as drive 2 and mount a blank ATR on it, then copy disks from your 810 to these images using the proper software in your Atari (DOS, disk duplicator, ...).

The basic one is SIO2PC in its USB flavor. Using RespeQt as the drive emulator you can enable many virtual drives at the same time, and create empty ATR on the fly.

Other alternatives that do not requires a PC are any of the SIO2SD devices, where you can write to ATR directly on a SD card.

There is also a SIO2BT solution that could send data through Bluetooth to a device with the drive emulation software.

Some of the emulation software can create empty ATR and some need you to provide blank files. There are some ATR utils that can create and "format" them and also can add and extract individual files from them.

• Like 3

There is a USB to SIO device you can buy to hook up your Atari drive to your PC and read and write disks to or from disk images.

So I could hook up my 810 to my Windows 7 64 bit PC and use Atari800 or other emulator to read and write from the 810? How do I copy a Basic program on a real Atari disk to an ATR file that will autoboot and run on the emulator from the ATR file on the PC without the 810?

Alternately using the SIO2SD it looks like I could copy a real Atari disk to the SIO2SD (I presume into an ATR file). Then could I remove the SD card and copy that ATR file to the PC's hard drive to use with an emulator?

Which would be easier, a SIO2PC or SIO2SD for this process? Once I have the programs in an ATR file and usable with any Atari emulator I would probably never use with device again.

Also since these are Basic programs is there procedure to add a boot loader to the ATR file so that the ATR will autoboot into the emulator?

Alternately using the SIO2SD it looks like I could copy a real Atari disk to the SIO2SD (I presume into an ATR file). Then could I remove the SD card and copy that ATR file to the PC's hard drive to use with an emulator?

This is the method that I used. Easy peasey. The process is no different than using an Atari with two drives, as long as you have an empty ATR loaded on the SD card.

APE creates atr's as well or just use it's PRO system to make direct ATR, ATX, and PRO images from the disk drive itself or the reverse and make real disks from the ATR, ATX, PRO images on the x86 as well

This is the method I prefer...

• Like 1

Connecting a 1050 directly to the PC and copying an ATR to a disk.

Well, not really. To use RespeQt that way, you have to have an Atari computer on the SIO bus. It cannot act as the master device on the bus, like the computer can. You can, however, use both RespeQt virtual disk images and real Atari drives on the bus together if your SIO2PC-USB device allows for that (some do, some don't).

​However, AtariMax's ProSystem software lets you attach an Atari drive directly to your computer without an Atari computer on the bus. The free version has a nag/registration screen delay but will work for basic disk copies. Much more customization options are available in the registered/paid version (which I don't have).

Both of these methods work fine for copying unprotected floppy drives. But what Farb and others do, mostly, is try to find ways to copy and preserve copy-protected stuff, and optionally producing cracked/hacked disk images that can be run without the copy protection interfering.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order for the SIO2PC Universal USB but have not received any word from him about my order. No replies to emails either. I hope he is still around. My charge card was charged so I know he got the order.

Anyone seem anything from him this past couple weeks?

I placed an order for the SIO2PC Universal USB but have not received any word from him about my order. No replies to emails either. I hope he is still around. My charge card was charged so I know he got the order.

Anyone seem anything from him this past couple weeks?

AtariMax is not always great at communication but always comes through for customers in the end. Be patient, you will definitely get your order.

It could have been an entire month from order to receive,

but he might be using parcel post which in some places

only moves when there is room on the truck not taken up

by priority packages and/or some postal God takes it

upon themselves to teach the public in general a lesson

in waiting for the mail by deliberately sitting on the

cheap rate stuff as long as he possibly can.

Usually there is not much difference and no need to pay

the extra, 99% of the time. But on rare occasion I run

into the same story, a month when three days is normal

and this difference is NOT normal. It's man made. Steve

doesn't help with his speed and methods, but the actual

delay is someone inside the postal system playing tin

God games who is untouchable and unaccountable too. There

is a strong possibility that Steve has confronted this

Postal God about inordinate shipping times in a not

so friendly manner which only guarantees that all

of Steve's parcel post gets the special treatment, but

that is certainly just a WAG of mine. Orders take an

inordinate amount of time coming from Steve, but product

does arrive.

Well it doesn't have to travel but one state over so shipping should not be too long. I guess a follow up email telling his customers that is has actually been shipped. All I ever received was the automated order receipt and no further contact.