IGNORED

Do people dislike the Wii U mainly because it was a commercial failure?

Well I was one of the few dolts that bought my Wii U on launch week. Not the first day but that week I was out to get it and bring home a new Nintendo system. It was loved for about 3 months then went into the backlog of storage where no one cared about it. It had some good titles but never enough of them from the Nintendo game makers nor 3rd party when it came to the software offerings for like the 360 and ps3.

So lack of enough unique games utilizing the now hated Wii gimmick controls nor the Wii U gamepad really killed it for me anyhow. I saw potential and interesting portability. Yeah the pad was pretty big but I did not hate it. At least it was a solid piece of equipment from my standpoint over some other system Wii U2? Or is that a band?

I have brought the Wii U back out of storage now ( since it all retro now so I won't feel ashamed) and I am finding lots of fun titles I missed for cheaper. I know they are porting most of the library to the Switch but I think that also dulls down on the fact Nintendo still seems slower on the production of licensed games.

So the Wii U fooled me into what I thought was gong to be a nice long run of Wii experience and I did not need to buy more controllers and I could play my old Wii games.

The Switch though you can't fool me twice. Lots see it as a success but don't be blinded by a cover up Wii U Style is my warning.

Now I am going to alter my other Wii U with a nice battery pack and 2nd screen so I can take it on the go and get those Switch lovers to envy my "Limited edition Switch 2 retro Wii ".

• Like 1

The Switch though you can't fool me twice. Lots see it as a success but don't be blinded by a cover up Wii U Style is my warning.

Every game console fails. Some last a little longer. They're toys, get them and play with them if that's what you like. Nothing wrong with that.

Switch /should/ be my main jam, I like portables (it's not very portable though) and I like mobile games (but my iPhone is always with me and has more compelling stuff to me), I like Nintendo (or do I?) ... I just don't play with it very much. I don't dislike it, but it hasn't taken hold of my attention like it seems like it should. I want a game vacation where all I do is play with my toys that don't get enough love.

At the end of the day a PC is just a CPU/bus/Ram/graphics, same as any other console. Why does it get singled out for being 'different'? These AMD-based consoles have custom operating environments that shields users from most PC-style headaches.

Because PC + Keyboard = complexity, I don't wanna learn! The keyboard is the most intimidating game controller ever devised.

• Like 1

At the end of the day a PC is just a CPU/bus/Ram/graphics, same as any other console. Why does it get singled out for being 'different'? These AMD-based consoles have custom operating environments that shields users from most PC-style headaches.

I mean in the way it goes about things and allows them to incorporate practices normally associated with PCs. For example: Releasing unfinished games then patching them later, day one patches and games that *must* be downloaded from the internet (Xbox One, they're not on the discs...) and/or installed onto HDD (XB1 and PS4). You're right that the PS4 is great in shielding you from a lot of this, but the fact it needs to happen and I yet again ran out of HDD space on it yesterday just remind you that this generation of consoles just are much more PC like in their operation.

The Wii U was the last one where you could put a game in and play it without needing a giant download from the internet. There are a few exceptions, but my extended storage in my Wii U equates to a 16GB USB stick, not a 2TB replacement HDD, and now an external HDD like the PS4.

Then there is the XB1X and PS4P. Consoles with a power upgrade that are ostensibly the same thing. Games having graphical options to choose whether you want 1080P/4K, 30/60Hz, pretty/fast. That's not console gaming. I just want to put a game in and it's optimised for the hardware for which it was written. Screwing around with settings is for computer users. I don't like where this is all heading.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

I still love this system.

Sort of kicking myself though that I didn't buy a refurbished system off Nintendo's online store for $175 a while back as a spare. Noticed they were all gone the other day when I bought a Wiimote jacket (My old one went bad, with the plastic starting to yellow and feeling greasy each time I picked it up) and the gamepad screen protector kit.

Was hoping to get one that was the equivalent of a brand new system judging by all the reports I saw, to keep as a spare. But with the Super NT launch, I was hoping I could wait until perhaps this summer.

Edited by Atariboy

Sort of kicking myself though that I didn't buy a refurbished system off Nintendo's online store for $175 a while back as a spare. Noticed they were all gone the other day when I bought a Wiimote jacket (My old one went bad, with the plastic starting to yellow and feeling greasy each time I picked it up) and the gamepad screen protector kit.

I am convinced that Nintendo did a buy back on all the Wii U consoles. They just disappeared overnight everywhere. It makes sense as they ported all the software to the switch. So if they can make everyone forget the Wii U was ever a thing then 'hey! look at all this brand new software on our brand new console'. I think the Wii U definitely took one for the team there.

• Like 2

There are a few exceptions, but my extended storage in my Wii U equates to a 16GB USB stick, not a 2TB replacement HDD, and now an external HDD like the PS4.

For some reason, I had assumed that WiiU's external storage had to be an HDD. I just saw some 16GB thumbdrives on clearance at the store the other day, but I couldn't think of a use I would have for them. Whoops.

My internal storage is just about to the brim, but I don't really plan on filling it any further.

Unless I end up with a game that requires updates =|

I feel like the digital copy of Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii is taking up a large chunk of it.

Yeah, and if you do the downloads for XCX also that takes up a huge chunk (10GB or so I think), but really makes the game run smoother than from disc. I have both on mine also and I'd not have needed the USB stick otherwise.

I wish I would've grabbed the Wii game when it had come out, but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not...but realistically, I knew it was going to be worth some cash, so I could have easily gotten my money back if I didn't like it. Eh...

I don't care for digital downloads, but it was hard to argue against $20 (and I think I had a coupon as well).