IGNORED

PG's POKEY corner

pseudografx

Hi, in order to avoid flooding Atari Age forum with topics, I decided to create an universal topic for all my new songs, which I will use from now on.

And here comes the first new cover tune, coming from Super Nintendo Entertainment System's game Final Fantasy VI.

Uses stereo POKEY, doublespeed player routine. RMT, SAP and XEX files attached.

https://soundcloud.com/pseudografx/final-fantasy-vi-terras-theme

FF6-Terra.zip

• Like 18

Confused a little... it said c 64 synth but I never hear that machine sound this good.... surely this was just a silly name attached to a sound.

I didn't change the name of the "C64 Synth". It's working completely different than the "original" RMT instrument.

Why not share the .rmt file, too? Let pseudografx, and others, see in what way you changed the sound.

I don't see a reason for that, as I posted several demonstrations and videos lessons in the past. It seems, people do not understand what it is doing when manipulations of the "filter" need their timing.

Yeah, it's absolutely fine to use others' work, modify it, show it here and not share the result for others to check. I mean, do you ever ask for permission to use others' work? Not that I would not allow you to use it. It is just a matter of politeness.

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 9

Yeah, it's absolutely fine to use others' work, modify it, show it here and not share the result for others to check. I mean, do you ever ask for permission to use others' work? Not that I would not allow you to use it. It is just a matter of politeness.

Not sure, where "your work" takes point here.

And I had hard times to understand the "conversion" till I listened to the Original.

So, thanks, for the conversion that helped me to do a combination of what people like to hear and how I'd like POKEY to replay music.

You showed your result, you released the RMT file. For what, if not for enhancements?

I just added MY work and showed it in the Video, because it's the only way to show what's missing.

Posting RMTs also never helped before, why should it in the future?

There is a lot of "hidden" progress. Where I'm requested to keep things "non disclosed" . But, there is never a production reaching the light at the end of the day. At least non of my proposals. Well, almost.... but, as we say in German "Einmal ist Keinmal" .

Hmm, that's what stop the scene growing and getting more n more great stuff for the A8 like it's in the c64 or Amiga scene for example.

In the A8 scene everybody is keeping the sourcecode as a secret, nobody is talking about their own tricky codings. People keep their stuff because it need time to create??? :?

Hello??? It's all about fun and a hobby and not a fucking business competition. If it is sooooooo much fucking pain and wasting of private free time to create the sounds, why you do it at all?

We all should work together. At least after releasing the own productions. To get more great stuff in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 7

Hi, in order to avoid flooding Atari Age forum with topics, I decided to create an universal topic for all my new songs, which I will use from now on.

And here comes the first new cover tune, coming from Super Nintendo Entertainment System's game Final Fantasy VI.

Uses stereo POKEY, doublespeed player routine. RMT, SAP and XEX files attached.

https://soundcloud.com/pseudografx/final-fantasy-vi-terras-theme

Hi PG,

I like your song covnersion very much. But a question about your FF6-Terra.xex .. it seems that this is another song as in the RMT/Soundcloud. Or is there any "multi song selection" in the RMT? Exporting the RMT file results again into that other song... But I never really understood RMT Editor so what's the thing here?! :)

grüße,

twh

Not sure, where "your work" takes point here.

And I had hard times to understand the "conversion" till I listened to the Original.

So, thanks, for the conversion that helped me to do a combination of what people like to hear and how I'd like POKEY to replay music.

You showed your result, you released the RMT file. For what, if not for enhancements?

I just added MY work and showed it in the Video, because it's the only way to show what's missing.

Posting RMTs also never helped before, why should it in the future?

There is a lot of "hidden" progress. Where I'm requested to keep things "non disclosed" . But, there is never a production reaching the light at the end of the day. At least non of my proposals. Well, almost.... but, as we say in German "Einmal ist Keinmal" .

Even if it is a cover and not an original composition, it still counts as someone's work.

I release my source files so that anyone can analyze them and I have no problem if they modify it and show off. But asking the author (which does not necessarily mean a composer) for permission is the least thing to do when you want to use it. You simply lack manners.

Because of your attitude, I ask you to stop using my compositions, both original and conversions, for your own experiments. Besides not asking to play with them, you place them on your YouTube channel without giving a proper credit! I consider this very rude.

• Like 4

I don't see a reason for that, as I posted several demonstrations and videos lessons in the past. It seems, people do not understand what it is doing when manipulations of the "filter" need their timing.

Your song is buttery and delicious. As someone with barely passable musical talent, I know that I, for one, would like to unapologetically steal your accomplishments and use them as a foundation for my own work. With credit, of course. :)

EDIT: Whomever what parts belong to (which I am in no position to judge). At this late day in the life of the Atari 8-bit, no man is an island. I missed a potential controversy here before replying. No slights intended, only a jealous respect.

Edited by jmccorm
  • Like 1

I think there is once again a double language barrier going on here. Also I might add that if one were to take the bent that another can not modify a mod. Someone who has the rights to the original work, might be inclined to cut it all off ;)

Please don't make such a thing happen.

Share and share alike and the pleasure is ours, get testy and it all can end ;)

Hi PG,

I like your song covnersion very much. But a question about your FF6-Terra.xex .. it seems that this is another song as in the RMT/Soundcloud. Or is there any "multi song selection" in the RMT? Exporting the RMT file results again into that other song... But I never really understood RMT Editor so what's the thing here?! :)

grüße,

twh

Hi twh,

It is the same song, I actually recorded the tune for SoundCloud in Altirra from that very same XEX. There is just one song in that RMT file. Not sure what is the problem :)

Cheers,

PG

I think there is once again a double language barrier going on here. Also I might add that if one were to take the bent that another can not modify a mod. Someone who has the rights to the original work, might be inclined to cut it all off ;)

Please don't make such a thing happen.

Share and share alike and the pleasure is ours, get testy and it all can end ;)

Not really a language problem here. Music is a language, everybody knows. There's just the taste....

It's just after all this years there still is ignorance in the air. Creating several threads , explaining the problems, the goods and bads.... , and at the end of the Day, you open the soundcloud and still get the ears slapped.

In the "Nothing Special" thread, I forced people to do conversations, but still nothing.

In those limited places as the 8 bits, everything counts. Just like some pixel of green suggest gras, some pixel of blue suggest water. And so on. Same with POKEY music. High sounds mean percussion, low sounds mean basses. A little more pulse, gives a drum, a little less pulse is just a bass tone. Those were musically identifiers and have not much to do with taste in music. Ever tried to play a Drum solo using trumpets after a car accident?

Understanding can be a hard thing, most individuals here have no background in music, music theory, or have even touched a real instrument. They don't know what it takes to get a note out of a trumpet, let alone why one person playing it evokes feelings while another does not. This is hard to translate to the digital world.

Patience of a teacher has to be endless, as it may take years for it reach just one individual. They are new and wonderful artists showing up over time and each can learn, enjoy, take, or gather from what is presented.

I will also post what I said in another thread here...

I am noticing a testy trend across the AA arena, I think winter is getting to us all. Can we please all sit back with our favorite beverage of choice or perhaps a warm blackberry brandy and enjoy each others company?

This coming from a cantankerous person such as myself says something.

_The Doctor__

• Like 2

Oh no, not another fight in AA....... in addition I will try to show, what I mean. Learning from each other so we can have more fantastic productions.

Sandor.... from HARD ... and this thread ...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273049-hcm-hardbass-tools/

After releasing his last and awesome demo 'Reharden' he was sharing the tools, the skills, .. all the infos and how to's in a great and unselfish way.

THAT IS community, THAT'S exactly how things should go on here.

Great point _Doctor_.. Let's have a 'Glühwein' in the cold days and let's enjoy cool demos, games, sounds and gfx on A8. ;)

• Like 4

Let's wait and see... ;)

So what you are doing is start your envelope with a very high note to create an effect similar to sta STIMER, but for one channel only, and after that you fiddle about with command 6 one up or one down? How do you determine when to go up or down or is that just a matter of taste? And shouldn't I have every instrument start with a high, unhearable note, or a short silent pause? It seems to me that otherwise all the other instruments start playing slightly earlier.

If you really want people to learn and use your superior instruments, why don't you release a collection of instruments (.rti files) with a description of how to use them, for everybody to use for their next compositions/covers?

This is one of the biggest hurdles "foreign" (i.e. NES or C64) chiptune creators have to overcome when they think about doing a Pokey song with RMT. And even those familiar with RMT and Pokey do not know all these tricks.

• Like 5

I think a big sound /instrument library for Pokey / RMT would be great, because not all musicans are sound creators.

I like to play piano or keyboard but I hate to create the sounds on synthesizers. Maybe because I don't know how to create a cool bass by using white noise and filters and so on. Without 'reading' in other prods I wouldn't know about this 16 bit and c64 bass to-do inside RMT.

Composing nice chiptunes without nice sounds is foolish and not fun at all. Billion of MOD-Files was created by musican, because there's a lot of samples all over the web.

The composers are composers, not synth-coders. ;-)

It is more blessed to give than to receive. :-D So why not share sounds and build a RMT Sounds lib.

Edited by MARIO130XE
  • Like 1

Well, you can load an RMT file to the tracker and save any particular instrument you like. Creating a standalone archive of instruments, large and nicely organized, would require quite a lot of effort and time. Heck, I can't even make a proper RTI archive for my own use!

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 2

..... would require quite a lot of effort and time. Heck, I can't even make a proper RTI archive for my own use!

Yepp, I agree. :) It's my peronal problem too. And you would need also some how to use or readme files for some sounds. Especially the 16 bit stuff need to explain, how to use them. 1st and 2nd tone ...

It's possible only by TEAMWORK.