IGNORED

PG's POKEY corner

pseudografx

• 8 months later...

I have just uploaded my latest cover of a song from the famous Final Fantasy series to my SoundCloud. This one is a bit special as it uses an IRQ-based bass line instead of the infamous out-of-tune POKEY bass ? Thanks to R0ger for the implementation.

Any feedback welcome.

Enjoy!

XEX download:

Final Fantasy V - Ahead On Our Way IRQ.xex

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

I have just uploaded my latest cover of a song from the famous Final Fantasy series to my SoundCloud. This one is a bit special as it uses an IRQ-based bass line instead of the infamous out-of-tune POKEY bass ? Thanks to R0ger for the implementation.

Any feedback welcome.

Enjoy!

XEX download:

Final Fantasy V - Ahead On Our Way IRQ.xex 7.3 kB · 5 downloads

Damn that is nice.  The stereo separation is fantastic!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pseudografx said:

Thanks. It's actually post-processed to be bearable in headphones. 100% stereo separation would not sound very nice. Listening on speakers is fine though.

Oh - I was listening to it via emulator :)  My Atari is hooked to my hi-fi (Sansui 7070) and the speakers are wall mounted, about 12 feet apart.

• 2 weeks later...

how do you make the POKEY output stereo? Is it maybe working how the NES does it? The NES actually has 2 channels for audio, but the mainboard is designed so that the 2 channels merge before they get to the audio output plug and the sound comes out as Mono. But if you solder directly to the pins for the 2 channels and give each pin their own plug, then you can make the chip output audio in Stereo. Can the same thing be done in an A8 on the POKEY chip?

Edited by TheRaven81
clarification

Sorry for hijacking the thread, around week ago i have done some tests regarding RMT stereo modes and built this experiment:

It is 4 channel mono song played stereo with dynamic panning.

It would be superb to be able to enhance RMT with additional stereo modes (in the editor) and parameters to allow set effect like shown in the stereoexperiment.xex (requires headphones).

@PG: that final fantasy tune sounds great, I can imagine that Poison may switch to RMT after listening to your FF5 tune :D 

Edited by matosimi

3 hours ago, TheRaven81 said:

how do you make the POKEY output stereo? Is it maybe working how the NES does it? The NES actually has 2 channels for audio, but the mainboard is designed so that the 2 channels merge before they get to the audio output plug and the sound comes out as Mono. But if you solder directly to the pins for the 2 channels and give each pin their own plug, then you can make the chip output audio in Stereo. Can the same thing be done in an A8 on the POKEY chip?

You cannot do stereo if you only have a single POKEY in your system. You could have the GTIA output to an independent channel (as it can also be used to generate sound), but that would not be of much use.

5 hours ago, pseudografx said:

You cannot do stereo if you only have a single POKEY in your system. You could have the GTIA output to an independent channel (as it can also be used to generate sound), but that would not be of much use.

Well,

you could do some dual-mono e.g. mono on both left + right speaker (all four Pokey sound channels on left and right, thus left+right speaker sound the same) or "cheap-stereo" (two of the four Pokey sound channels on the left, the other two on the right speaker, thus left + right speaker do not sound the same)...

from the A8FAQ (subject 6.9 What sound upgrades are there):

Bits 'N' Pieces: POPS, project by Lee S. Brilliant, ANALOG #66 Nov. 1988,
pages 54-60
- External device connects to the Atari SIO port, using pin 1 (Clock Input)
  and pin 2 (Clock Output) to tap into the separate Atari audio voices
  independently, before the system mixes them into the normal single-channel
  Sound Output signal.
- POPS provides either stereo (Left and Right) or three (Left, Center, and
  Right) audio output channels.
   - Two channel operation: POKEY voice 4 is output to the POPS Left Speaker
     (via SIO pin 2); POKEY voices 1-3 are output to the POPS Right Speaker
     (via the normal system Sound Output)
   - Three channel operation: POKEY voice 2 is output to the Left Speaker (via
     SIO pin 2); POKEY voice 4 is output to the POPS Center speaker (via SIO
     pin 1); POKEY voices 1 and 3 are output to the POPS Right Speaker (via the
     normal system Sound Output)
- Software: POKEY Player by Craig Chamberlain, modified by Lee Brilliant M.D.

You can also find some material for dual-mono and pseudo-stereo or cheap-stereo with just one Pokey chip in the Mega Magazine (dutch magazine, using english language)...

• Like 1

Something I have always missed with all stereo pokey upgrades is an 8-channel mono mode. PG post-processed his FF5 - Ahead On Our Way, to let left and right bleed into eachothers "sides". The soundcloud mix that is. If you play the .xex file on headphones, it sounds as good/bad as the original stereo mix of Let It Be :D

8 channel mono would sound much better, even without hardware pseudo-stereo. With pseudo-stereo, I think it would rock! ;)

8 hours ago, ivop said:

Something I have always missed with all stereo pokey upgrades is an 8-channel mono mode. PG post-processed his FF5 - Ahead On Our Way, to let left and right bleed into eachothers "sides". The soundcloud mix that is. If you play the .xex file on headphones, it sounds as good/bad as the original stereo mix of Let It Be :D

8 channel mono would sound much better, even without hardware pseudo-stereo. With pseudo-stereo, I think it would rock! ;)

A decent amplifier can mix stereo output to mono, too ?

But it would surely be nice if the usual dual POKEY upgrades provided such feature - or even better, if it could be controled via software. Anyway, it is what it is. Amiga users have to deal with the same issue, and they only have 4 channels! :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2021 at 8:34 AM, pseudografx said:

This is my winning entry for the Lost Party 2021 Atari music compo.

Recorded from my Atari 800XE. Tthe .xex requires stereo POKEY to play correctly. Enjoy!

What great snare and kick drum sounds! Are they sampled?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1