IGNORED

PG's POKEY corner

pseudografx

So what you are doing is start your envelope with a very high note to create an effect similar to sta STIMER, but for one channel only, and after that you fiddle about with command 6 one up or one down?

Both channels get the shortest wave playing. That builds the start for a 99% sure modulation. Then the start is needed. This depends on the common height of the notes, to have the needed wavelength. The fiddling with one pitch up and down, causes a shift in the offset of both channels, that results in a different wave length.

As this is all "passive" programming, it is recommended to listen to the melodic part several times. It may toggle in several notes. There a different wave length / offset has to be used.

You have to understand how POKEY works, to create the instrument for any tune.

That's why I offered cooperation to do some optimizations.... but...

How do you determine when to go up or down or is that just a matter of taste? And shouldn't I have every instrument start with a high, unhearable note, or a short silent pause? It seems to me that otherwise all the other instruments start playing slightly earlier.

No! Just play the instruments as they are. Only the short ones need some special handling. In double VBI speed, you won't really recognize it. In standard VBI you could play the instruments one cycle later and or just put the loudest pulse to the point where it fits to the rest of the volume.

In other Threads we very often explained the workaround for this. Just add a command into a Tracker for an "instrument start" then play the highest note, do something for more than 32 cycles, then set the real tone for the Instrument start.

If you really want people to learn and use your superior instruments, why don't you release a collection of instruments (.rti files) with a description of how to use them, for everybody to use for their next compositions/covers?

Because the passive programming needs different settings, depending on the note range and used melody.

This is one of the biggest hurdles "foreign" (i.e. NES or C64) chiptune creators have to overcome when they think about doing a Pokey song with RMT. And even those familiar with RMT and Pokey do not know all these tricks.

Because no one read my prior threads ?

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

As this is all "passive" programming, it is recommended to listen to the melodic part several times. It may toggle in several notes. There a different wave length / offset has to be used.

OK, so one might need different instruments for certain ranges of notes.

No! Just play the instruments as they are. Only the short ones need some special handling. In double VBI speed, you won't really recognize it.

I see. I assume it won't hurt though if one was to start all instruments from scratch?

Because no one read my prior threads ?

Exactly ;)

But seriously, the information is all over the place and really hard to find, especially for people not familiar with the (inner) workings of pokey.

Yepp, I agree. :) It's my peronal problem too. And you would need also some how to use or readme files for some sounds. Especially the 16 bit stuff need to explain, how to use them. 1st and 2nd tone ...

It's possible only by TEAMWORK.

Exactly. Not to mention various other POKEY modes like 15kHz, or 2x/3x/4x-speed versions of the instruments.

Edited by pseudografx

OK, so one might need different instruments for certain ranges of notes.

Yes.

But that is not the end of the road ;) .

You could chose between 8 different "original sounding" starts of a note , you can slide it up or down, the sweep is obvious.

Note D#2 for example , uses an intentional cancelling point.

I see. I assume it won't hurt though if one was to start all instruments from scratch?

Not sure, what you're asking for?

But, sometimes, when things get really nifty, you could place some attending sounds to another voice, before a Drum.

Exactly ;)

But seriously, the information is all over the place and really hard to find, especially for people not familiar with the (inner) workings of pokey.

That's why I recommended a POKEY Tracker, where you could do the needed preparations by functional definitions, just commands with a referring description. To understand by musicians who want to try to make POKEY music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As per request, I am providing my cover of the Alternate Reality: Waves song. I am not completely satisfied with it and I may get back to it in the future to polish it. If you want to replay the .rmt file in RMT, set the tracker to NTSC timing to get the right speed. Also, do not forget to enable stereo in the emulator.

ARWaves.xex

ARwavesB.zip

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doom for the Atari? Well, kinda :-)

This time I tried to mess with the 15kHz mode, which I am not very skilled in, but I think the result is not too bad. Enjoy!

Sounds well. But how about a version of this one, using a stock Atari plus one VBI ?

A 3 channel rendition would be a great start.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...