flux

3d perspective effect

This isn't maybe directly a programming question so if it needs to be asked elsewhere just let me know. But how is the floor shifting perspective effect found in, for example, Kasumi Ninja accomplished? Is it an actual texture mapped 3d surface or is there some other trickery going on there?

If it isn't clear to what I'm referring, I mean how when you move the characters left or right, the perspective of the floor adjusts slightly with the movement.

• Like 1

From what i remember :

For each line of the ground, a scaled object is modified by a GPU Object interrupt.

The GPU compute the Object X position, the start address of the texture and the scale to apply to draw the current (or next?) line.

• Like 3

The Kasumi Ninja version of the fighter floor scroll technique is really ugly vs something like SFII. It looks ugly and mungy enough to be using the Jaguar's scaling. Oldskool way of just offsetting each line of a graphic that already has the perspective pre-baked so much cleaner.

• Like 4

I did see/read something that said it's mostly a big trick. I originally assumed it was a scaled object per line or some such but saw recently that apparently the whole floor is drawn to the desired perspective, and wider than the whole screen. Then you simply scroll each line left or right by varying amounts.

So the line closest to the camera might move 10 pixels, the line furthest away might move 10/64 pixels. and each line in between a varying amount depending on size of distorted floor and desired depth. There is probably actual real maths involved and not fudge maths , but hopefully you get my meaning :)

• Like 4