IGNORED

Good USB Atari-style Joystick

marlowe221

The best is one of these its self adapting to most 9pin joysticks I use my wico bat handle https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/78a4fc599928d16e52847120cedce2bf.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Hmmm... I didn't think about an adapter.
My Wico probably needs a little maintenance. Sometimes it seems to read "down" when I move the stick "left."
Still, it's a great idea!
  • Like 2

I live on these adapters. Much better than just buying a CX-40 clone with a USB. You can use it for paddles, driving controllers, Star Raiders, FLASHBACK controllers... it just works.

I have 2 2600/7800 and 2 Intellivision/ColecoVision/Sega adapters as part of my emulation station. Same goes for the NES, SNES and Playstation. The original controllers just feel better.

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They used to sell Competition Pro joysticks with USB jacks already on them, not sure if they're still available...

The USB-versions of the Competition Pro sticks have one big disadvantage, which makes them simply unusable with fast action games. They use a chip, which is prompted only about 12 times in a second from the PC. This makes big problems in fast games, cause there is a delay and sometimes when the user makes alot of steering-movements very fast in a row, then some of them even are slurred and were not realized in the game. This is deadly in action games, therefore the USB-variant of the Competition Pro is not good. Worst thing is, that the producer Speedlink knows this problem (they admit it in an Email to me, when i bought two of these sticks and when i later complaint about this delay-problem), but they are not willing to change it in near future. Maybe to expensive for them, i don`t know.

Much better solution to use Competition Pro joysticks on the PC is, to buy a good adapter. There are different good 9Pin-to-USB adapters around which are prompted over 100 times in a second, with these then you can also play "Decathlon" or "Track & Field" in an Emulator on the PC. Try these games with a USB-Competition Pro and you can see, that the speedbar can not be filled right, cause the bad polling-rate of the USB-Competitions prevents this.

Therefore my tip - better buy a new Competition Pro stick with a 9Pin-connector (Speedlink also has these models reissued some years ago) or buy a used Competition Pro from the 80`s.

Then use them with one of the good 9Pin-to-USB adapters (Raphnet / Retrodonald / Retronic-Design / 2600-Daptor / AJoy).

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

I live on these adapters. Much better than just buying a CX-40 clone with a USB. You can use it for paddles, driving controllers, Star Raiders, FLASHBACK controllers... it just works.

I have 2 2600/7800 and 2 Intellivision/ColecoVision/Sega adapters as part of my emulation station. Same goes for the NES, SNES and Playstation. The original controllers just feel better.

I have the Inty / CV / Genesis one (the most recent firmware update allows use of theSega Sports Pad!)

I really need the 2600-dapter 2 Someday, before too long.

I'd go the adapter route.

I used the Coleco Super Action Controller in MAME on Pole Position, and I actually got the dial to use for steering! Loving the Vision-Daptor!

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, Sir,
I'm Using Maxeeder MX-209 USB Game Pad (It Is Not Atari Joystick Style).
Heavy Duty, Reliable in hand, and not expensive (Cheap in price), Obtained From Aliexpress $5, 1 year ago.
Hardware :
- An old Pentium 233 MMX System (with Built-In Universal Host Controller/UHCI), Obtained From A Yard Sale $12, 3 years ago.
- USB "7.1 Channel Sound" Adapter, eBay $2.5, 1 years ago.
- Maxeeder MX-209 USB Game Pad
Software :
- Bootable OSx16 operating system (On USB Flash Memory), Downloaded From Internet.
- OSx32c (OSx16 Included).
- OSxGC With All of The Atari 2600 Games (OSx16 Included).
This Is My Current Atari System !
6532 Damaged And My Atari 2600 Is Not Usable !

Good Luck.

Edited by Atari 2600 H.E.R.O

The Logitech F310 Gamepad controller is not Atari style, but it's a well built controller that works great on PC's, Mac's, Raspberry Pi (RetroPie) and others. The controller can be switched from XInput (XBox controller mode) or DInput (for Macs and old style controller mode). This controller normally costs $25, but according to https://slickdeals.net/f/12967366-logitech-f310-gamepad-controller-13-free-store-pickup?page=4#commentsBox Target has it on sale for $13