IGNORED

Brutal Sports Football - Jag Review! One of Jag's Hidden Gems?

Adriano Arcade

Brutal Sports Football is one of those Jag games that I bought to complete the collection with just about zero interest in ever putting much time into it. But I've heard so many people praising it lately (here and in a few Facebook groups) that I'm definitely going to sit down and put a few hours into it one of these days, to see if it hooks me the way it has a few of you.

Brutal Sports Football is one of those Jag games that I bought to complete the collection with just about zero interest in ever putting much time into it. But I've heard so many people praising it lately (here and in a few Facebook groups) that I'm definitely going to sit down and put a few hours into it one of these days, to see if it hooks me the way it has a few of you.

Definitely do it. It's not terribly polished but it is quite fun in that it's not a traditional "sports" game. You can win by murdering (literally) the opposing team. It's especially fun to introduce the game to an unsuspecting friend, play it up as a game with typical sports rules, then pick up a sword partway into the round and decapitate their entire team for the win.

• Like 1

I've only played it a little, but I found the scrolling rather choppy and the music below par...but maybe that's my memory being overly harsh. I found the gameplay a little rough around the edges (admittedly I really didn't know what I was doing), but I'll have to give it a proper go and read the manual. Most reviews or comments from those who've sunk a bit of time into it seem like they enjoyed it. Still, a little more effort and polish could've elevated it beyond just another (almost) straight 16-bit port.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea - but I certainly have had a blast playing it!

Definitely do it. It's not terribly polished but it is quite fun in that it's not a traditional "sports" game. You can win by murdering (literally) the opposing team. It's especially fun to introduce the game to an unsuspecting friend, play it up as a game with typical sports rules, then pick up a sword partway into the round and decapitate their entire team for the win.

Good advice good man! ;)

When it was Christmas time at my old job we used to have extra members of staff in, so we used to be able to go for breaks together... I had my spare TV and Jag in the break room, so we used to always play Brutal Sports of a lunchtime. I always thought I had the advantage from years of playing it, but my friend Lucas (who never played it) would literally just obliterate my team with button mashing and win! I had to change my technique and I think we basically ended up turning it into a scrolling beat 'em up, as all we did was kill each other. Frame rate is choppy, but it doesn't matter so much when the gameplay is so much fun.

• Like 1