IGNORED

Looking for commercial BBS info

Farb

AFAIK it just requires Atari Basic. Don't recall that it has any specific dependency on either Rev B or C, but BasicXL, etc is out.

As for the PROMPTS.DAT and stuff, I'll have to go find the bbs hdisk, as I don't seem to have archive copies of those.

Wondering how the recovery process is going..

I'm not working on this much. I've got some 40 odd boxes of hardware, cables, etc. that have been packed away in the barn for twenty years. I pulled out six 1050's a couple years back to ATR some diskettes and only two of them still worked. I need to find the hardware, find power supplies that actually still work and find something to use for a display. I've got three 1702 monitors, but last I recall only two of them maybe worked.

If you look in my members gallery, I posted a few photos of the last time the systems were powered up in use. 100_790 show my main 256K XL, with the T-816 and it's 256K card hanging out the side, and under the whiteboard is the mux master with it's 250mb hard disk attached. That's the drive I need to find. You can't see them, but on the floor behind the 1050 stack is the ATR-8000 with the two 8 inch floppy drives and their 50lb power supply.

• Like 1

Ok, so I've dug out five black boxes and a pair of xl's, along with about 30 power packs and a few 1050 drives, so I'll see if I can get something working. The main stumbling block at the moment is a display. I don't have a tv that takes an RF or even cable input, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to display the output from an XL, assuming I can even find the DIN to RCA plug cables I have somewhere. If I can't find a working 1702, I'm not sure what the solution is. What do people use these days for a display for their Atari machines ?

People have different opinions, but I have been using a converter composite, s-video to VGA, any cheap monitor or otherwise that has a vga port can be used:

http://www.ambery.com/vitoxgacoscs.html

I used this one for many years, it can do PAL as well as NTSC:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grandtec-GVC-1000-Grand-Video-Console-Video-to-VGA-Converter/123020112489?epid=1800353184&hash=item1ca491f269:g:SEMAAOSwgbhaOfPU

Ok, so I've dug out five black boxes and a pair of xl's, along with about 30 power packs and a few 1050 drives, so I'll see if I can get something working. The main stumbling block at the moment is a display. I don't have a tv that takes an RF or even cable input, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to display the output from an XL, assuming I can even find the DIN to RCA plug cables I have somewhere. If I can't find a working 1702, I'm not sure what the solution is. What do people use these days for a display for their Atari machines ?

oops forgot to click quote, see my post above

Thanks for taking the time to dig out what sounds to be a treasure trove of atari goodness..

Well I made some progress. Found a 1702 that works, found a DIN cable, it all looked good but the damn drive wouldn't spin. Played with a few different PC power supplies and finally found one that worked without a motherboard attached. So the drive seems to be ok, I see all eight partitions. Now I just need to get this stupid SIO2USB working, APE is being recalcitrant. Oddly enough, I don't see a PROMPTS.DAT in the main dir, must be elsewhere.

• Like 1

Well I made some progress. Found a 1702 that works, found a DIN cable, it all looked good but the damn drive wouldn't spin. Played with a few different PC power supplies and finally found one that worked without a motherboard attached. So the drive seems to be ok, I see all eight partitions. Now I just need to get this stupid SIO2USB working, APE is being recalcitrant. Oddly enough, I don't see a PROMPTS.DAT in the main dir, must be elsewhere.

iirc PROMPTSx.DAT is in the PAS folder. PROMPTS3.DAT if you have one should be on drive 3 Best bet is to just archive the whole drive, there are file creation utilities, MOD files, and text files necessary to run... Thanks

Yeah, I saw a PROMPTS2 and a PROMPTS3.DAT. Anyway, APE is a worthless piece of sh-t that doesn't work using the sio2usb interface. Not using ultraspeed it writes maybe 8-12 sectors and then it locks up. Obviously never really tested before he released it. I have enough cables here I should be able to lash together some kind of null-modem cable to connect to one of my older machines that still has a com port on it, cuz I don't have one of those usb->rs232 dongle things. If I can find my zmodem for the 8bit then I can blast stuff over at 19.2.

Edit: yeah, theres msg, desc, files, pas I think are the directories I saw.

Edited by Alfred

Yeah, I'm a full time SpartaDos user. I guess I can try that. I also remembered I bought one of those Lantronix things a few months ago, so maybe I can connect to Altirra with it and transfer files that way. I had no trouble using the Pro thing to make ATR disks from just the 1050 drives; it worked perfectly. That's why I'm so surprised and angry that it is so worthless as a disk emulator.

Anyway, I can try doing a key off. There's something else you have to key off for, one of the carts or something, I can't remember now.

• Like 1

I don't think you do, but in case you use SpartaDOS to do the file transfers... disabling it's keyboard buffer (KEY OFF) solves a lot of high speed problems...

Ok, that was it. The Puff BBS partition is currently being copied by FlashBack. I'll do all the partitions and then sort stuff out. Most of the drive is just files for download, unlikely I need to save most of them. I do hope there's some source code on there that I didn't save before, like AlfCrunch.

• Like 3

haha, no. 18 subdirs and 371 files for this first partition. One fatal (144) disk error so far in one of the file description files, DESCFTRN, something like that.

I couldn't use Hardback because I have no idea what my serial # is any more. I was going to use the hd back pro thing I wrote for CSS but I couldn't remember if it did files or only went to floppy.

Edited by Alfred
  • Like 1

The BBS partition is copied with just the one error. I'll have a look at it tomorrow maybe, meanwhile I'm copying off the rest of the partitions. Was worried a bit on the programming partition when I saw the dir count hit 120 and the files go past 3700 but Flashback didn't squawk. Going to let it run all night, hopefully not too many bad sectors.

Edit: Anybody know if Ledbetter is alive so I can ask him what my serial number is ? lol

Edited by Alfred

No, I don't need an SDX cart, but thanks. I found the SDX cart to be too flaky to use with my main machine, which was pretty flaky itself. It's an 800XL with 256K which I further modified by wiring the chips for a mux slave into it, a stack of five OS roms then the T816 with its mods. I did some other stuff to it at Puff's direction to fix some clock2 flakiness to get the Black Box to work and the end result is it won't boot unless it's own particular Black Box is attached, lol. After all that the SDX cart never really worked right, half the time it wouldn't boot at all, so I quit trying to use it.

Here's my Puff BBS partition. I've left most of the files on it.

PuffBBS.atr

• Like 4

No, I don't need an SDX cart, but thanks. I found the SDX cart to be too flaky to use with my main machine, which was pretty flaky itself. It's an 800XL with 256K which I further modified by wiring the chips for a mux slave into it, a stack of five OS roms then the T816 with its mods. I did some other stuff to it at Puff's direction to fix some clock2 flakiness to get the Black Box to work and the end result is it won't boot unless it's own particular Black Box is attached, lol. After all that the SDX cart never really worked right, half the time it wouldn't boot at all, so I quit trying to use it.

Up and running.. Impressive size BBS you ran.

So far only thing missing is the HELP folder.

Thanks for taking the time to Archive this, must've taken quite a bit of it..

Edited by Triads

Thank you for looking for this and archiving a long lost BBS :)

Those seem to be the S, T and V folders...

Up and running.. Impressive size BBS you ran.

Thanks for taking the time to Archive this, must've taken quite a bit of it..

No point in asking me anything about how it works, I haven't the faintest idea after all these years. I just know it did work.

Edited by Alfred