IGNORED

Looking for commercial BBS info

Farb

There is a generic help file in those folders, but the [H] Help MOD is looking for >HELP>A.HLP thru Z

I've copied six of the eight partitions, and none of them have a HELP directory. I have to assume it's not something I ever implemented because I didn't care if the help function worked.

Well some good news. On one of the partitions I seem to have made a copy of the Oasis IV master diskettes, so I'll ATR them up and post them in a bit.

Edit: Reading some of the download file descriptors, I was rather harsh in some cases:

"A poor mans menu program, runs basic programs from a menu. A pathetic effort in this case." hahaha

Edit again: OMG, I may have to run the BBS to extract my file area comments, some of them are just golden.

Edited by Alfred
  • Like 3

I've copied six of the eight partitions, and none of them have a HELP directory. I have to assume it's not something I ever implemented because I didn't care if the help function worked.

Thats ok, the help system is fixable. Missing 1 MOD so far, SYSMENU.MOD. Which is supposed to be an extension of the SysOp commands.

Thanks

Thats ok, the help system is fixable. Missing 1 MOD so far, SYSMENU.MOD. Which is supposed to be an extension of the SysOp commands.

Thanks

Ok, well if there are mods missing and they also aren't in that NEWMODS arc file, then I have to assume they are something Bob neglected to ever send me, because that partition and the arc file are everything I have related to the Puff BBS. Now I suppose there might be something on a diskette somewhere, in the dozen or so plastic holders I have but I doubt it. I only rarely copied stuff to diskette once I had the MIO and a hard disk, either to give somebody a copy or to sneaker net it to one of my non-mux machines.

Very possible. It also checks for the "M:" Device in the modules, which must be a Multi-Link...

M: will be the multiplexer. He used the mux pipes for inter-bbs chatting, if you ran multiple boards on separate machines. I think I had something crude working where I could chat with people on the BBS from another system with a mux connection. I only ever had maybe three or four slaves because it was a nuisance getting the cards to seat properly in the cartridge connector. The boards tended to lean towards the back of the machine because of the drag of the 40pin cable, and thus didn't always make good connections with the motherboard connector. It's why my main machine I just stacked the chips and the 6522 right inside the case. Bob did my first machine at his place and when that machine died, I carefully dissected what he did and wrote it down, and then replicated it on another machine and it worked great. The multiplexer was really a great tool.

Unfortunately these are not sector image copies. I thought the originals were all SS/SD but when I tried to copy the files they didn't fit, so that's why these are goofy XF551 disk images. I'm not sure the disks constitute a runnable system without modification. They should be, but I have some batch files that merge three of the sides together, and I'm not sure if that's just something I did to build me a working system, or if that's what you need to do. Anyway, I think all the docs are there, mostly ARCed and it looks pretty complete to me. I've long since forgotten how 4.7 works, if I ever really did, because Glenda really broke 3.09 (which I did know) when she created version 4. I don't even remember if I ever ran Oasis 4, because after Forem I wrote my own BBS system and ran that for a while until I met Puff, and then I ran his system.

Anyway, for you diehards, have at it.

OAS47DSKSET.zip

• Like 6

Unfortunately these are not sector image copies. I thought the originals were all SS/SD but when I tried to copy the files they didn't fit, so that's why these are goofy XF551 disk images. I'm not sure the disks constitute a runnable system without modification. They should be, but I have some batch files that merge three of the sides together, and I'm not sure if that's just something I did to build me a working system, or if that's what you need to do. Anyway, I think all the docs are there, mostly ARCed and it looks pretty complete to me. I've long since forgotten how 4.7 works, if I ever really did, because Glenda really broke 3.09 (which I did know) when she created version 4. I don't even remember if I ever ran Oasis 4, because after Forem I wrote my own BBS system and ran that for a while until I met Puff, and then I ran his system.

thanks for posting this !!!

• Like 1

Got it running.. Have to find some text files and move them around, but working... Thanks Again Alfred!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What bbs software did you write? Do you have a copy?

• 4 months later...

What bbs software did you write? Do you have a copy?

I never distributed the code to anyone. It was all written in assembler, and I called it AIDS (Alfred's Information Distribution System). This was before the MIO came out, it ran with 3 1050 Doublers and a PR:C I think. I very much doubt I have the code, although it's possible there's a diskette here somewhere that has it, but I wouldn't even know what to look for now. Same as I know I have a copy of a Robotron clone that a friend of mine wrote because I bought all his stuff. It's three diskettes somewhere in the stockpile.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For what it is worth, I'm ever closer to possibly reviving my old BBS, which I will probably put up for fun. I currently have a version running Carina that seems to be complete, but I'm going to have to dig through to figure out how to get it working, so I can actually look around at it again. I cannot recall passwords from last week sometimes much less whatever I had going on back in the mid-80s. I also seem to be having a problem with this particular version running properly. I load it up, get the M.O.E splash screen and a prompt to hit any key to continue, then it continues to load and jumps to a solid yellow screen after appearing to try to initialize something. I still have my old physical modems, so I'll connect one up to see if the board is looking for it specifically, which may be the case.

As for more complete versions, I had them all on 8" disks, so I believe my latest boot disk to auto-run everything is on there. I hope I have some luck to be able to boot that up, but I'd long since tossed the four 8" drives and two cabinets when I got tired of moving them everywhere. I was really smart about it and didn't think to go copy data off at the very least. (Honestly, I didn't have the space, time, or patience to try to be interested in it...) I just ordered some 8" drives out of California complete with power supply, so I'm going to hope for the best in regard to their stated condition (ran when parked - Yes, I'm also a car guy.), and see how that goes. Once I have it all sorted, or I've given my best effort, I'll be happy to share what I have. I have many copies of the message boards, etc., it seems, so it should be fun to see what nonsense was being discussed over 30 years ago. :)

I have also come across the originals for ForemXE. I had BBSExpress and NiteLite and possibly a few others handed off to me along the way, but I don't remember where I landed in the end of which ones I ran versions of the BBS on. I was just learning my way around, so there probably isn't anything too exciting, but it is a personal adventure at the moment I may be able to share with this group.

--Todd--

• Like 3