IGNORED

Help: Atari collection / how you tidy up your collection

redsteakraw

How do you organize your collection and manage the various cables, controllers and oddly shaped carts?

the 2600 has various different shaped carts, if you stack them you can't easily stack the Matel games. what are some of your setups for storing / displaying your games. Large stacks are a pain to take a game in the middle out and easily end up in a mess when doing sso.

When it comes to controllers, the joysticks are rather large and won't fit in a standard ziplock bag and the paddle controllers can get a bit messy. Given that some controller are needed for some games you simply can's leave one controller in your system. How do you prevent the ugly rat's nest of controller cables / av cables and everything else.

So give your suggestions, show some pics and help the whole community reduce clutter.

I've really got to take some pics one of these days for the "Show Us Your Collection!" subforum, but my collection is sort of compartmentalized. I have loose cartridges on track shelving on the walls in my game room, as well as in some nice, heavy, glass-door media cabinets (from when CDs were a thing).

I keep most of my boxed hardware in the closet. Loose hardware is packed in individual labeled plastic bins with cords, power supplies, manuals, and other ephemera and stored in the basement on inelegant but heavy-duty shelving made of 2x4s and 1/2" pressboard.

2600/Commodore controllers are stored in smaller bins kept on a support shelf underneath the computer desk in my game room (one for CX40s, CX10s, Trak-Ball, and Track & Field controller; one for paddles and driving controllers; one for keyboard controllers, Video Touch Pads, and Kid's Controllers; one for TAC-2s, Slik-Stiks, Pointmasters, Archer/Spectravideos, and other favorite third-party joysticks; another large plastic bin in the basement contains numerous miscellaneous third-party controllers).

Most of my manuals are still in shoeboxes, unfortunately, but I've at least moved most of my 2600, 5200, 7800, and Coleco ones to plastic sleeves in 3-ring binders.

CD/media racks, shelving, bookcases and cassette storage mounted to the wall for games. Small dresser full of controllers whose cables are tied up. Hate untied cables that intertwine and knot up... go for one controller and end up pulling out four. :lol:

Any pics? I am wondering how you actually fit the games on a cd rack as they aren't even a similar shape.

My whole 2600 and 7800 collection is in a CD shelving rack. Games are in alphabetical order and stacked 5-6 high. All of the carts stack well enough, even the goofy M-Network games. Some older pics from my game room thread, but you'll get the idea:

(Not pictured are my TI and Intellivision games. They fit in cassette tape holders that I have hanging on the wall)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/155772-save2600s-console-gameroom/?hl=%2Bsave2600&do=findComment&comment=3832062

post-13896-0-13611300-1520271473_thumb.jpeg

post-13896-0-13265100-1520271503_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

I was thinking it might work to have some sort of narrow stand, like something with 10" depth, but still a meter or two wide. CD-rack-sized, and simply dangle the controller wires behind it. Out of sight. All you'd see are the controllers. Much like setting them atop the cart shelving in the above pic.

Alternatively, maybe you can just stuff them in a drawer that has dividers. Make mockup dividers from cardboard and tape to test the fit. And if it works, use real wood and hotmelt glue for a more pro finish.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to show pics of my game rack setup, but am modestly embarrassed by how I haven't had a chance to run the power cord to a couple of lit displays through the wall. So no pics yet.

Meh. Bare with me, eventually this relativly new room will be right and I'll post a blurb in "Show me your collection".

Anyway I wanted to post a tip. Plastic feet.

Yes. Plastic feet. For M-Network games.

In my neck of the woods you can get em at Tap Plastics, but I'd imagine you can find something equivalent somewhere near you.

They are small transparent 'rubber' dots about the size of an M&M that stick to the bottom of stuff. Use two of them on the thin end of M-NETWORK games. Now they stack perfectly without the leaning tower look.

And they peel off easily if you ever want to reverse it on your cart. So there ya go.

Except for my original PS1 and Megadrive consoles .... I'm pretty much a 2600, cart only acquirer .. coz I like to play :-D Hence I have a mild mannered Clark Kent collection that's pretty easy to maintain. Regardless, I'll use these .. https://www.retroprotection.com/Atari-Box-Protectors_c40.htm.. for clean level stacking of carts and simple Ikea cube shelving. I take a leaf outta McGiver's book and cut down some local cardboard fruit boxes to narrow the depth of the shelves, moving the carts more forward for better accessibility. They're hidden so you would never know. You can pull a cart anywhere from the stack without issues. These Ikea cubes hold EXACTLY 4 carts wide. Atari foresight in mind? :-o :thumbsup:

My controllers are inside large zip lock bags, inside plastic bins next to the TV cabinet. You'd be surprised how many they fit. The boxes in the pic have PS1 and Sega controllers, Atari paddles x4, x2 Driving Controllers, x1 Keyboard controller and cx40s.

post-52250-0-71312200-1520349390.jpg

Edited by spriggamortis
  • Like 2

Most important thing about a collection is that it be organized and displayed nicely. Once it becomes a haphazard mess strewn everywhere, it becomes a mental burden. Sometimes this means upsizing to fill extra space, or downsizing to fit limited space or minimalist decor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I store the games 'sideways' for easier access. Paddle games all on the same row, 7800 games get their own row, etc. Don't have to worry about a tower of M Network games toppling over. Just get a cheapie fiberboard CD/DVD tower with adjustable shelves, find some extra pegs and make some extra shelves, and you're good to go.

post-12607-0-89948900-1521848894_thumb.jpg

Edited by toiletunes