IGNORED

Possible stupid question: games failing to load

Hi everyone,

so now that I'm using RespeQt on my PC with an SIO2PC adapter on a 400 with RAM expansion, I'm trying lots of different .ATR images.

However, I'm finding that I'm having about a 25% success rate in getting games to load or run correctly, not sure if it's something I am doing.

The games I have tried so far are from here:

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=1

I can 100% of the time get the disk to load, and get the game menu. But about 75% of the time, when I choose a game from the menu, it either acts like it's going to load and then crashes, or just sounds like the loading has completed and I have only a black screen. I'm assuming it's not something I'm doing wrong since I follow the same steps every time loading disks. Is it possible that several of the games on these disks just don't work? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Here is an example. On this disk, number 25. (http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?dl=025) Oil's Well loads and plays just fine, whereas Wizard of Wor will not. (at least for me).

Can anyone else verify this, or prove otherwise on your setup? I'm just wondering if something on my particular setup is screwy.

And if my setup is good and these files are actually just not that great, can anyone suggest a resource for finding images that actually work?

Thanks so much! `NKA

Hi Doctor,

well, I have a 400 with the Atari 400 48/52 KB RAM-Card by Jurgen now installed. Shouldn't that be sufficient to run something like Alley Cat? I'm not sure.

Does that card provide a replacement XL-compatible OS or are you still using the stock OS (probably OSb)? Reason I ask is, I see at least 4 or 5 versions of ALLEY CAT .ATRs, including one marked "OSb", indicating there are either different versions from the publisher, or else someone has hacked it along the way for compatibility one way or another.

On a side note, for testing functionality at least, I'd suggest you grab most of the stuff to test with from a site like Atarimania, They've got detailed write-ups of each title, and if a version is OS-specific or limited to NTSC or PAL, they'll let you know.

Does that card provide a replacement XL-compatible OS or are you still using the stock OS (probably OSb)? Reason I ask is, I see at least 4 or 5 versions of ALLEY CAT .ATRs, including one marked "OSb", indicating there are either different versions from the publisher, or else someone has hacked it along the way for compatibility one way or another.

On a side note, for testing functionality at least, I'd suggest you grab most of the stuff to test with from a site like Atarimania, They've got detailed write-ups of each title, and if a version is OS-specific or limited to NTSC or PAL, they'll let you know.

OK very cool, I will reach out. Crossbow is lending me a BASIC cart so I can at least verify the RAM upgrade was successful. Will report back!