IGNORED

best way to hookup 800XL to LCD/LED?

V-Cool

Hey guys, I bought a composite cable from Best Electronics but was wondering if I want to have the best possible picture on my LCD, what's the way to go?

I have seen the VBXE upgrade but I don't see how cabling would work at that point. Does it send RGB out of the existing monitor cable then?

Is there a solution to export to HDMI?

Just trying to figure out the options.

Thanks to everyone for always being so helpful.

So, if I'm reading the pages of posts correctly, the Sophia will output DVI which I can use to connect via an HDMI adapter to my LCD and that will be the best picture quality available for connecting to a LCD TV?

Why is this a better option than a VBXE?

Also, since DVI doesn't export sound, I would need to use my current monitor out and plug the composite cables into the sound input?

Just making sure I'm tracking correctly.

So, if I'm reading the pages of posts correctly, the Sophia will output DVI which I can use to connect via an HDMI adapter to my LCD and that will be the best picture quality available for connecting to a LCD TV?

Also, since DVI doesn't export sound, I would need to use my current monitor out and plug the composite cables into the sound input?

The Sophia would be a cheaper alternative and easier to install if your goal is only to connect it to a modern monitor or tv.

I have a VBXL in my 800xl. I have it running through a GBS-8220 model RGB to VGA converter. Thus, I have my Atari plugged in to a Dell monitor through VGA. It is a pretty clean image.

• Like 1

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of the VBXE vs the Sophia or any of the other options?

The VBXE is a true video upgrade from the GTIA/ANTIC.

Device info:

• RGB output providing crisp clear picture using LCD TV or RGB monitor

• up to 1024 colors on screen from 21 bit palette

• graphics resolution up to 640x480i (640x240p) in 64 colours, 320x240p in 1024 colours, and 160x240p in 1024

• true 80 char mode for text display

• blitter with 7 modes of operations capable of zooming displayed data, transparency, collision detection and many other features

• full downward compatible with GTIA chip

• and many, many more

• https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=53

• Like 1

So the Sophia is not a true video upgrade?

One version does allow for some upgrades. You can use all 16 shades (therefore true 256 colours) in all graphics modes, not just the GTIA modes. Additionally, in hi-res you can independently set background and foreground colours, meaning we can have red text on a blue background for example.

I do not recall if these features were removed from the versions which offer DVI output.