IGNORED

Really dumb Sega Genesis question

Jacro017

I took it to mean he had a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the headphone jack and bluetooth speakers paired to the receiver. That should still work just fine.

That wouldn't do anything. You'd want a Bluetooth transmitter plugged up to the Genesis headphone jack, not a receiver (although some brands do have both functionalities built in). That way a Bluetooth speaker can be placed anywhere to receive

Edited by keepdreamin

That wouldn't do anything. You'd want a Bluetooth transmitter plugged up to the Genesis headphone jack, not a receiver (although some brands do have both functionalities built in). That way a Bluetooth speaker can be placed anywhere to receive

Derp, you're right. Should be a transmitter and bluetooth speakers.

I took it to mean he had a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the headphone jack and bluetooth speakers paired to the receiver. That should still work just fine.

1 point for helpfulness

2 points for pedantry

The sexy times would outweigh the risks.

10 points for snark

• Like 2

If like derFunkenstein said about the transmitter(I'm sure that is what he originally meant to say) how is the transmitter powered? Does it have batteries or does it have to be powered by a usb plug, and if so do you have anything else near by to plug that into. The transmitter can't get power from the headphone jack so would need to be powered somehow.

EDIT:

Sounds like a fun internal mod to try and do now.

EDIT 2:

I see the one here https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9722&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-j2hZ_Z2QIVg4qzCh135QYFEAQYASABEgKe2fD_BwE

has a built in battery you charge when it is hooked via usb so I guess you wouldn't need to have a usb outlet near by if you had one like that with built in battery.

Edited by SignGuy81

Jacro017's really dumb question and the responses have caused me to think of a completely retarded question. Is it possible to use a bluetooth transmitter thingy for all of my retro consoles and then have the receiver be a bluetooth enabled audio cassette tape that I could play in a Walkman so that I could use headphones for all of my retro consoles while at the same time the games' music and sound would be like that of an audio cassette tape to make the experience ultra-retro? That would turn flash carts into the ultimate mixtapes!

Even though I don't see why it wouldn't work,...And also don't see why the original poster hasn't tried it and gotten back to us yet (Seriously, did it work or not?)...I thought I'd weigh in on "Bluetooth".

I had 2 Bluetooth speakers and they were absolute crap. Both died very quickly and my computer couldn't play nicely with them anyway (Took turns working and then "losing sync" or something)...It took 2 days until both were paperweights. The only thing they were good for was target practice. I've absolutely hated Bluetooth ever since. A good stereo would never do this. But maybe it was these specific speakers and not the technology...

I've heard PS3 controllers are Bluetooth tech,...If so, then maybe the tech is decent enough (not great just OK)...

Someday they'll create a wireless network that isn't "A Speaker" (Not 2 just one haha) or a headphone/ mic etc., but includes 7.1 surround sound and speakers that all just work instead of being crap...But for now, give me "wires" that work,...Not "wireless" that does Not!

I wouldn't stuff one inside the actual console. You'd need to cut an access for the pairing button.

Something like this would work. It's actually a dual purpose transmitter/receiver like I mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075HGLHFN/

41HOdQkpwoL._SX425_.jpg

You could just keep it charged and set it up real quick when you want to play, or just leave a mini USB cable plugged up.

I wouldn't stuff one inside the actual console. You'd need to cut an access for the pairing button.

Something like this would work. It's actually a dual purpose transmitter/receiver like I mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075HGLHFN/

41HOdQkpwoL._SX425_.jpg

You could just keep it charged and set it up real quick when you want to play, or just leave a mini USB cable plugged up.

Yeah that was something I considered, and considered maybe in the back of the console perhaps to put a button. But you wouldn't have to cut a huge access to go in and reach the button you can simply add a panel mount button to the console and run wires and solder. But either way I wouldn't want to do it in the front where it may be an eyesore(meaning not blending in with the rest of the console's aesthetics) but I'm still considering it maybe.

Edited by SignGuy81

320px-Speakers_MD_US.jpg

Are these the bluetooth speakers you are talking about?

This was about stupid questions right?

No it was a different deal. OK I just noticed the wires and Genesis logos there LOL !

What the hell, I'll go into detail. When I was in Vegas I saw a Bluetooth speaker that was also an LED light bulb! It was in this little Sharper Image type shop in the Venetian and they sounded pretty good. I didn't buy one ...I thought you could buy 2, not realizing the limitations of BlueTooth (It's something like a 1 speaker max unless it says otherwise and you buy a matched set that tells you specifically that both will run)....They were $48...

When I got home I bought some Chinese knockoffs on ebay ... And they sucked! haha...

The product was so bad I can't even find one on ebay ! Anyway they were similar to this one, but with just a white light, not color changing... I bought 2 not realizing it would overwhelm the system and that Bluetooth only supported one speaker.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12W-E27-Bluetooth-Music-Audio-Speaker-LED-RGB-Color-Bulb-Lamp-Remote-Control/312036884756?hash=item48a6d90114:g:OXwAAOSwB3BaNKTj

Yeah that was something I considered, and considered maybe in the back of the console perhaps to put a button. But you wouldn't have to cut a huge access to go in and reach the button you can simply add a panel mount button to the console and run wires and solder. But either way I wouldn't want to do it in the front where it may be an eyesore(meaning not blending in with the rest of the console's aesthetics) but I'm still considering it maybe.

You know you could go just bat poo crazy.

Tap the power you need off the input from the Genny power supply. and then change our the audioslider with push button plus slide to turn the Bluetooth on or off. All components would be hidden inside and you would still have a nice clean unit.

Please note I did not say this would be easy but possible I think so.

You know you could go just bat poo crazy.

Tap the power you need off the input from the Genny power supply. and then change our the audioslider with push button plus slide to turn the Bluetooth on or off. All components would be hidden inside and you would still have a nice clean unit.

Please note I did not say this would be easy but possible I think so.

Already planned on everything except the swapping out the audio slider with the push button idea. Shouldn't be too difficult really(unless you are a procrastinator like me).

• Like 1

Step 1: Throw the crappy bluetooth speakers in the trashcan.

Step 2: Get a phono to rca stereo cable and plug it into the headphone jack.

Step 3: Plug the other end into a stereo system or audio receiver.

Step 4: Set headphone volume to 5. Set the sound system volume to preference.

Step 5: Turn on the system and your Genesis in hifi stereo. :cool:

• Like 3