IGNORED

TI 99/4a Video Series

jonecool

This is my first post here, happy to have found it (thanks Gregory)! The TI-99/4a was my first computer, I spent countless hours on it when I was about 14ish. It was this machine that helped me decide what I wanted to do later in life, Software Engineering. Recently, I brought all my TI stuff down from the attic and have been having a great time going through my stuff but also catching up on a lot that I've missed over the years. I've had so much fun, I decided to create a video series on the TI-99/4a, below is the first episode :

TI 99/4a Home Computer - Part I

https://youtu.be/mFZgnH32Kag

I'm working on the second episode, which will likely be much longer. Here's a list of things I'm planning in this next video (or two, depending on how long it turns out in the edit room) :

Next Episode ideas

1) Connecting the TI cassette cable to the output jack of a PC/Raspberry Pi to transfer a program to the TI.
2) Connecting the TI via an RCA Cable to an HDMI converter to display on an HD TV
3) Using a nanoPEB to load/run programs
4) Using a null modem cable between an RS-232 port/PC/RPi to transfer data between the two
5) Using the FlashRom99 to run carts

Obviously, the next video will get a bit more technical but not so much so that it will be too boring. At least, that's the plan. If you have recommendations for segments you think should be included, please post below. I hope to release Part II here in about a week or two.

Please like/subscribe if you enjoy this video. I won't be shy, I'd like to someday be able to monetize my YouTube videos such that it can help fund my addiction to technology :)

ps. I also have a Wagner's TechTalk page https://www.facebook.com/jwagnertech . There I have videos about building RPi arcade cabinets, a custom robot my son and I built, an LED face for Alexa (works via bluetooth), etc.

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 7

Made some progress the past couple of nights on this next upcoming video. Really want to thank Todd W. for his help last night correcting my goof on my nanoPEB (working perfectly now). Opry99er, watched several of your videos this evening Awesome stuff!!

I've learned quite a bit lately, connected my TI to a VGA/HDMI monitor/TV (two separate adapters), learned how to better utilize my nanoPEB, got the MegaDemo running (awesome!) and have had a blast with the FlashRom99. Aside from all that, I also have had the TI 99 Sim running on my restored full-size Arcade cabinet my son and I built (running RetroPie) for about a year now. I have a few more things I need to experiment with before the next video, primarily the RS-232 w a null-modem cable attached (I have it, just haven't worked with it yet -this weekend for sure). So, the next video will be out in a week or two and it will be pretty interesting what my system looks like after all these upgrades/modifications and a few surprises. I'd post pictures here, but I haven't figured out why I don't seem to be able to do that -likely a newbie thing. So, video coming soon and I hope you enjoy it!

Still much more to explore, I don't yet have the FA18 board but seriously considering that in the near future. I have a few more options on order but may have to wait for a Part III for this series. Having fun and wanting to share with others that may be re-visiting the TI such as myself. In my younger years, I was an avid TI Enthusiast (helped with a TI UG in Arkansas) and knew someday I'd be back into it. So I stored all my stuff in the attic, a time capsule, if you will -which has been recently opened. I've forgotten some of it, but it quickly comes back the more I mess around with it :) Loving this forum and the comradery among you all! Have a wonderful day Jon - a.k.a Wagner's TechTalk.

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 2